Have MG pulled the R46 Update in UK

dahills1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Ok, so very frustrated with MG. My MG Trophy LR went in for its 15,000 mile service last week and they allegedly updated all software. Unfortunately after the update my infotainment system is still on R24. I asked what was needed to get this updated to R46 and the two dealerships I have spoken to tell me that there are no updates available. Has MG pulled the R46 update for some reason? The dealerships seem to know nothing and I cannot find anything on the MG UK site.
Any info / advice greatly appreciated 😀

The infotainment update does not get done as part of the service. They will carry out service campaign updates but this does not include the infotainment. People who have been given updates have reported problems which they believe will be fixed with the latest update . However this needs to be approved by MG or the dealer won't be paid for the update. FWIW apparently even the latest Trophy update still has issues so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Ok, so very frustrated with MG. My MG Trophy LR went in for its 15,000 mile service last week and they allegedly updated all software. Unfortunately after the update my infotainment system is still on R24. I asked what was needed to get this updated to R46 and the two dealerships I have spoken to tell me that there are no updates available. Has MG pulled the R46 update for some reason? The dealerships seem to know nothing and I cannot find anything on the MG UK site.
Any info / advice greatly appreciated 😀

I had mine updated from R40 to R46 last week.
Didn't sort my outside temperature error or my blue rear camera which it went in for.
Temp sensor being fitted tomorrow.

I shall just have to keep moaning about my other issues, probably forever if others experiences with the MG product are anything to go by.
Glass half empty today.😫

I had mine updated from R40 to R46 last week.
Didn't sort my outside temperature error or my blue rear camera which it went in for.
Temp sensor being fitted tomorrow.

I shall just have to keep moaning about my other issues, probably forever if others experiences with the MG product are anything to go by.
Glass half empty today.😫
Hi thanks for the feedback. Which dealership was able to do this for you please? Did they do it free of charge or was there a cost involved as it wasn’t a service update? I’m happy to pay for the update as I am getting very frustrated with the current bugs. Looks like it may have other bugs, which will at least be a new experience for me 🤣

The infotainment update does not get done as part of the service. They will carry out service campaign updates but this does not include the infotainment. People who have been given updates have reported problems which they believe will be fixed with the latest update . However this needs to be approved by MG or the dealer won't be paid for the update. FWIW apparently even the latest Trophy update still has issues so if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Problem is bits are broke and I’d like them fixed. But the two dealers I’ve spoken to are insisting there is no update available. At least the Trowbridge dealer offered to open a ticket for me, so let’s see how that goes. 😀
I think the dealers and MG must think we are stupid and don’t communicate with each other and that bland answers such as what I’ve received will placate people. Just the opposite 😡 it’s a shame as it takes the gloss off what is a really great car imho.

From the dealers point of view there is no update available because that's what their system says when they punch in your vin. MG will only grant them permission to update the infotainment if you as the customer has complained to the point that the dealer has requested MG to allow them to update it. The trouble is is that MG has not wholesale told the dealers. That's why some will do it and others just toe the party line and check your vin and declare no update available.

I went to two different dealership for the update to fix my bluetooth drop out problem. Both installed some "service" update, but neither installed R46. One even wanted the car for two days to "investigate the problem", even though I told him there was an update from MG to fix this - just call them! In frustration I emailed the MD of MG UK, who had a staffer call the garage, told them to install R46 (takes 20 mins) and had them call me to apologise and asked me to come in so they could update while I waited! Always worth going to the top.

I went to two different dealership for the update to fix my bluetooth drop out problem. Both installed some "service" update, but neither installed R46. One even wanted the car for two days to "investigate the problem", even though I told him there was an update from MG to fix this - just call them! In frustration I emailed the MD of MG UK, who had a staffer call the garage, told them to install R46 (takes 20 mins) and had them call me to apologise and asked me to come in so they could update while I waited! Always worth going to the top.

'That's the way to do it'!

Perhaps us vibey X Power types should consider emailing the top man?

Who said that phrase up above?

Punch???

My Trophy is on R40, and was when we picked it up. I’ve no idea what version it was originally sold with (we bought it secondhand), but I insisted on it having the most recent update before we picked it up. We’ve been very happy with R40 so far, no bugs that we’ve particularly noticed.

Hi what's the MG MDs email please

Just had my 15,000 mile service today and the R46 update- this is the list (Trophy 64kwh)
  1. Carry out 1st annual service in line with manufacturer schedule including oil and filter change, visual health check, any outstanding manufacturer campaigns and free wash & vac
  2. Carry out MG campaign RC008 MG4 locking functionality software update
  3. Carry out MG campaign SC47 EH32 CCU Software Update
  4. Carry out MG campaign SCUK001 Software Updates to be completed (EVCC, FDR, BCM, FICM)
  5. Carry out visual health check

Not sure which MG car we're talking about here, but I have an MG5 Trophy, and I'm still on R12...

I've asked pretty much everyone I can think of, original dealers, "local" (2 hour drive) MG garages, and MG company website forms etc and no one can tell me anything, I really find it hard to believe MG in general is so glacial and incompetent that no one involved has a clue as to what software updates there are available, let alone what I should have, or what each update actually does/fixes!

It's absolutely unbelievable that there isn't an available log, with updates etc.

Take iPhone/Android updates for example, everyone is brought up to the same level/OS etc depending on the age of the device... Surely cars would/should be the same?

They don't do the gearbox oil until 60 k / 4 year service.

Got to be a mistake then @Alansurfer?

Invoice made up from a generic source?

I just hope your weren't charged too much!

My first X Power service is costing £95 and I'm not expecting much for that sort of money.

Got to be a mistake then @Alansurfer?

Invoice made up from a generic source?

I just hope your weren't charged too much!

My first X Power service is costing £95 and I'm not expecting much for that sort of money.
It’s the generic copy for a service so if the oil and filters are scheduled it’s done but obviously not necessary here 🤪🤪 (just yet).
£88.70 so a good price for a check over, software updates and wash and vacuum, I had an Xpower for the day too that was fully charged so a good deal.
Richmond MG Portsmouth are really good and know the cars well.

It’s the generic copy for a service so if the oil and filters are scheduled it’s done but obviously not necessary here 🤪🤪 (just yet).
£88.70 so a good price for a check over, software updates and wash and vacuum, I had an Xpower for the day too that was fully charged so a good deal.
Richmond MG Portsmouth are really good and know the cars well.
Sounds good.
Did you manage to get a launch in the X Power?

Last edited:
Not sure which MG car we're talking about here, but I have an MG5 Trophy, and I'm still on R12...
Here's a clue ...

1710514697446.png

;)

Sounds good.
Did you manage to get a launch in the X Power?
Did several standing starts in sport mode but didn’t get into track mode this time. Had some fun kicking the back end out and drifting on slimy roundabouts. It’s a great fun through messy, gravelly, slimy country A/B roads and was enjoying the front motor spinning up to pull out of fast corners.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back