Heat Pumps

No. You won't be able to buy a new gas boiler in two years time.
There was talk of requiring a specific EPC rating in order to sell a private home (like is planned for rentals), but as far as I know no date has been proposed for this.

If that came in, you might need to change your heating system to achieve it, although insulation etc.. would come first.

No. You won't be able to buy a new gas boiler in two years time.
Sorry I got it slightly wrong. In 2025 all new builds won't be able to have gas boilers installed and at the moment it's 2035 before existing instillations won't be able to have a new gas boiler.

Ah... there is further talk in Scotland on this - probably what Rolfe meant:

"The Scottish National Party could soon hammer homeowners as First Minister Humza Yousaf considers plans to ban Scots from selling their properties unless they swap gas boilers for heat pumps.

The potential move would force properties to meet the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of C or above at certain trigger points by 2025, including during a sale."

Nothing decided though, so might just be scaremongering.

Ah... there is further talk in Scotland on this - probably what Rolfe meant:

"The Scottish National Party could soon hammer homeowners as First Minister Humza Yousaf considers plans to ban Scots from selling their properties unless they swap gas boilers for heat pumps.

The potential move would force properties to meet the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of C or above at certain trigger points by 2025, including during a sale."

Nothing decided though, so might just be scaremongering.
I love weasel words like "Could" "Consider" "Potential"
If too many massive petrol delivery trucks deliver in Edinburgh at the same time, untold damage could be inflicted on the current road system. First Minister Humza Yousaf could potentially be considering banning all fossil fuel deliveries after 2025... Including domestic heating oil (did that bit there just for you Rolfe :))

John, the BBC article is claiming that a heatpump costs as much to run as a gas boiler (with good insulation), so a poorly insulated house would cost more.
A poorly insulated house would cost more in both energy sources. Comparing like for like i.e. take out the gas boiler fit the heatpump the heat energy in terms of kWh of heat generated will be the same.

Do you have any experience or knowledge to contradict this?
Absolutely it's pretty straight forward. My gas supply from Octopus in winter time is 9.8p per kWh. My Electricity during peak times is 29.6p
The gas boiler I have has an efficiency of 91% so the actual cost per kWh of heat is 10.76p plus a little more for pumps, valves and boiler controls around 60w of electrical energy bringing the gas boiler cost to 12.5p kWh.
Now the heatpump, running on peak energy cost of 29.6p per kWh produces an average of 3 kW of heat for 1 kW of electrical input, the cost of the heat from it is 9.86p per kWh of heat. In addition to this though, the off peak time (6 hrs) is only 7.5p. The 6 hrs only costs 2.5p per kWh of heat. If you average this over the day (usually heatpumps are run 24/7 ramping up overnight and back down again during the day), the average is 24.07p which gives us 8p per kWh of heat from the heat pump.
It is true to say better insulation will help dramtically but that is true for any fuel / boiler combination.

(Obviously I am talking without solar / battery)
Yes of course, this just puts the icing on the cake, battery storage alone gives me all of my electricity at 7.5p kWh or less and heat pumps run at 2.5p kWh or better.

That isn't the issue. The issue is how much of the UK housing stock is suitable for heat pumps, given that successful heat pump installations depend on significant insulation, larger radiators and pipework (to handle the lower temperatures) and space to put the unit.
We were quoted for a heatpump installation including bigger radiators and a new hot water cylinder etc. Me being very analytical by nature looked at running our gas central heating system at similar flow temperatures to a heatpump (45 deg C, most heatpumps are 50 deg C or slightly more). The results were surprising, even though the boiler was running 24/7, it was using less gas than previous weeks even though the outdoor temperature was lower and house was warmer. So in some cases the disruption and need to change rads is a myth, a bit like EV batteries need changing at 8 years at a horrendous cost.

It can certainly be retrofitted but at a cost and with disruption often requiring internal redecoration. That's fine for some but not for all.
Absolutely agree

We rebuilt our house completely between 2015-2018 before most of these government decisions were taken. A simple gas boiler and conventional radiator system was by far the best option at the time. We did not spend that money to then have to replace the whole system a few years later, forget it.
You maybe dont need to, invest £9 in an infrared thermometer, look at the water pipes coming out of your boiler, turn the boiler thermostat down to 40 deg C, leave the boiler on 24/7 in winter time and see how the house temperatures are. Thats the real proof of whats needed as opposed to the heatpump installers that make a good living from their work. I didnt go for the grant, I bought a used but very good Mistubishi Ecodan air - water heatpump from ebay. It was located at the back of my house behind a wall, the flow and return pipes through the wall and connected directly onto the boiler flow and return pipes, a 7 kW electrical supply run to it and the job was done, cost me less than £2100 to do. Now awaiting winter time to see how well it works.

If every house was insulated to that standard the country would cut its usage of fossil fuels drastically even if they went right on using the heating systems they already have.
Absolutely 100%

My gas engineer said that very good insulation is essential if we want to install a heat pump.
My gas engineer told me EV's will not catch on, theyre very expensive to run and in danger of burning your house down. But, as with all these thing myths are often repeated by people who really dont understand them, they just repeat hearsay.

Here some real life stories of heatpump use that reflect my own findings.:

My gas engineer told me EV's will not catch on, theyre very expensive to run and in danger of burning your house down. But, as with all these thing myths are often repeated by people who really dont understand them, they just repeat hearsay.
Nuffbo - Non Factual Based Opinion. :)

Just like Rishi Sunak and his North Sea announcement yesterday. A quick fact check shows he's talking (and Tweeting) through the opening in his backside. :)

You maybe dont need to, invest £9 in an infrared thermometer, look at the water pipes coming out of your boiler, turn the boiler thermostat down to 40 deg C, leave the boiler on 24/7 in winter time and see how the house temperatures are. Thats the real proof of whats needed as opposed to the heatpump installers that make a good living from their work. I didnt go for the grant, I bought a used but very good Mistubishi Ecodan air - water heatpump from ebay. It was located at the back of my house behind a wall, the flow and return pipes through the wall and connected directly onto the boiler flow and return pipes, a 7 kW electrical supply run to it and the job was done, cost me less than £2100 to do. Now awaiting winter time to see how well it works.
With our system I can't easily do that. We have combined hot water and heating with a conventional condensing boiler (not combi) and large storage cylinder - which is great as it keeps the water hot and costs very little for hot water. But because of that we are not supposed to drop the temperature too much due to fears of legionnaires disease. That said, last winter I turned the boiler temperature down to make it more efficient (65C) which helped a bit.

With our system I can't easily do that. We have combined hot water and heating with a conventional condensing boiler (not combi) and large storage cylinder - which is great as it keeps the water hot and costs very little for hot water. But because of that we are not supposed to drop the temperature too much due to fears of legionnaires disease. That said, last winter I turned the boiler temperature down to make it more efficient (65C) which helped a bit.
Did you see this video?

I've registered an interest. Also, I'm hoping to buy the Tepeo Zero Emmission Boiler in September. A straight swap of our old Potterton boiler with no need for a change of pipework or radiators.

Did you see this video?

I've registered an interest. Also, I'm hoping to buy the Tepeo Zero Emmission Boiler in September. A straight swap of our old Potterton boiler with no need for a change of pipework or radiators.

Yes, thanks, I've seen this. But obviously having installed a brand new system in 2015, I don't want to change it for many years if I can avoid it.

Did you see this video?

Yep, Tepeo is great as long as off peak rates remain low. Ive seen loads of reviews and seriously considered one myself but physically it would be difficult to fit here.

In my retail shop we had a bitcoing (etherium) mining setup in the roofspace, it ran at about 15 kW and produced tons of heat, we install a simple duct down to the retail space to heat the shop, it worked incredibly well. Then etherium changed it's mining requirements and we shut down the server farm. Now we have air to air heatpump.

Yep, Tepeo is great as long as off peak rates remain low. Ive seen loads of reviews and seriously considered one myself but physically it would be difficult to fit here.
I'm sure they only work best in small to medium sized properties as well

Larger properties you install multiples of them, just as you would gas boilers.
I looked at one and I currently only have one gas boiler for my property but when I looked at Tepeo the reckoned it would struggle not recommended for above 12000kwh of energy for heating and water a year. I certainly wouldn't be buying two

I should add that I think my gas engineer installed large diameter pipework and oversized radiators, so in all probability we might be able to use a heat pump with the existing setup, I could certainly look into the calculations or try the system for a short period of time on low temperature.

I looked at one and I currently only have one gas boiler for my property but when I looked at Tepeo the reckoned it would struggle not recommended for above 12000kwh of energy for heating and water a year. I certainly wouldn't be buying two
They initially said that my gas usage was too high, but I seperated out my gas heating usage from the cooking usage, added in my 4kW solar array and 12kWh battery, and bingo, the Tepeo ZEB would be cheaper to run.

I like the way it can store heat at temperatures way above that of water and just tap off what it needs to heat the water and keep the radiators warm when required. As soon as you start to empty a tank of hot water it starts to fill with cold, reducing the efficiency of the system.

I completely understand and agree with you. As I said earlier, most gas boilers are 20 to 30kW or thereabouts, the Tepeo would only have the capacity if your gas boiler was only running at 50% if it's in the above range.

I didnt know that was the case, are you sure?

It won't happen, of course, but it's what that sanctimonious git Patrick Harvie has been saying he'll do. The Greens basically run the Scottish government, despite only about three people voting for them. It'll go the way of the bottle deposit return scheme, if it even gets that far.

Correct, I have had a heat pump for about 12 years, and on average mine pumps out 3 to 3.5 times the heat energy, to what is consumed. I have just looked at the readout, and ours is operating at 3.28 kW heat for every kW energy consumed. They are not suitable for every house/property, but we have found it to be great in our (heavily insulated) 40 year old bungalow!
Maybe true but at the moment electricity is over 4 times the cost per kW of gas. Also minimum temp for domestic hot water (to ensure no legionella) and for a HOT bath is greater than 60 celcius. Not sure if heat pump can achieve that.

I was wondering what people in this thread thought about this article?

I'm honestly fairly ignorant about these things, but the way Patrick Harvie has been threatening people in Scotland with ruin if they don't install them has not endeared the technology to the public one tiny little bit.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom