Heated rear window missing at top 3”

Hi new member
Had good look at the rear window whilst de-icing yesterday it appears the top three elements are joined together with elements running vertically so perhaps it is the aerial.
I do not think is an aerial as the shark fins seem to cover sat navigation and radio, but I have sent a email to MG ask them if they come back to me.

Yes, I agree there are breaks, does yours not defrost at the top either? If so it definitely is the dab Ariel. My dealer says it is but I am reluctant to agree with them, when there is a shark fin aerial on the roof! I too have contacted mg, no reply yet, strange yours Alb doesn’t defrost either, maybe it is an aerial then…. Odd

Hi new member
Had good look at the rear window whilst de-icing yesterday it appears the top three elements are joined together with elements running vertically so perhaps it is the aerial.
So, does yours not defrost in the top 3 wires either?

Yes, I agree there are breaks, does yours not defrost at the top either? If so it definitely is the dab Ariel. My dealer says it is but I am reluctant to agree with them, when there is a shark fin aerial on the roof
Is it remotely possible that the top three layers of the HRW is used for the DAB arial and the roof mast arial, is only used for AM / FM reception ?????.

This is what the dealer says, but I don’t trust them, ( any dealer, generally they aren’t brilliantly knowledgable are they? ) that’s why I have questioned it on here, the people who own the cars, I thought at least one owner of a HS will have noticed if the heater clears or not in the top section.

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, just got MG HS phev (690 miles now, 43mpg, very comfortable, nice power) great car but… I have a question, now we have rubbish weather I need to de-mist rear windscreen, the top 3 wires don’t de-mist! See picture…..So the rest of the screen de-mist‘s ok, I have heard that this may be the dab radio aerial ( ! ) and nothing to worry about… so my question is… what is the “shark fin aerial” for then If the screen heater element encompasses the aerial ? Also, has anyone else knocked the gear lever into neutral when driving? I have just put it back into drive and it seems ok but… little concerned it moves to neutral without pressing the unlock button… ant thoughts please.
I have the same issue at the bottom of the screen and there is a small break in one of the elements. The dealer says I must have scratched it but I know I didn't as I am aware of the issues with these screen heaters and avoid any contact other than a wipe with a microfibre cloth, so it's difficult to claim against warrantee! I will attempt to repair it with electroconductive paint (ECP) but this must be done carefully and only just bridging the gap, not spreading along the existing element and staying neatly in line. I've done it before for someone else. It's about £15 for a very small tube of silver-loaded ECP.

Is it remotely possible that the top three layers of the HRW is used for the DAB arial and the roof mast arial, is only used for AM / FM reception ?????.
The screen aerial, if used, uses the whole element and separating the radio signals from the heater power is usually done by capacitive and inductive filtering.

Hi all
just had it confirmed from MG which had taken a few day that the radio and GPS is done through the shark fin so the back window has nothing to do with radio.

Yep, I also got that, so that means quite a few of us have the same issue, not good. Taking car to dealer tomorrow, we shall see what they say……

Yes I noticed a few weeks back that my top few elements (didn’t count) didn’t de-mist. I immediately thought they are the aerial for GPS or radio or something like that. The area that doesn’t de-mist does come quite further down on the screen so it was very noticeable.

Let me know what they say please.
Hi JTO, so, confirmation from dealer that the top three wires are the DAB radio aerial, the shark fin is the gps and the other radio aerials, he said that one of the other MG's has a similar system using the bottom couple of wires.... this makes sense as most HS owners on here say theirs do not desist at the top. I have however contacted MG again with the query reworded so they can confirm the dealer is correct.... hey ho !

Hi Everyone, so, confirmation from dealer that the top three wires are the DAB radio aerial, the shark fin is the gps and the other radio aerials, he said that one of the other MG's has a similar system using the bottom couple of wires.... this makes sense as most HS owners on here say theirs do not de-mist at the top. I have however contacted MG again with the query re-worded so they can confirm the dealer is correct. Hope fully this clears it gallup.... hopefully....if the dealer is correct.... mmmm, well.....

Hi JTO, so, confirmation from dealer that the top three wires are the DAB radio aerial, the shark fin is the gps and the other radio aerials, he said that one of the other MG's has a similar system using the bottom couple of wires.... this makes sense as most HS owners on here say theirs do not desist at the top. I have however contacted MG again with the query reworded so they can confirm the dealer is correct.... hey ho !
Hi
Thanks lets see what they come back with, I did ask the question if the back window had anything to do with the radio.

Hi Pto, I showed dealer the email I got ( similar to yours I guess) he said the reply from MG was not from their tech dept but from customer relations who probably didn’t know, he stated categorically it was an aerial…. And, as we know dealers are always right…..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom