Heated seats - Dry Roasted Nuts!

Abaker Mk2

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Weather is changing so I’ve used the heated seat for the first time, bloody hell they get uncomfortably hot.
On my previous car I had three levels of heat and only ever used the lowest.

Come on MG give us an OTA update and give us some heat level choices!!

They certainly give you roasted nuts.
Mine on the 2020 ZS seem to have decreased in temperature as they've aged. They did seem to be too hot when I first used them but now at two years old they are just right, or I've got used to them.

They certainly give you roasted nuts.
Mine on the 2020 ZS seem to have decreased in temperature as they've aged. They did seem to be too hot when I first used them but now at two years old they are just right, or I've got used to them.
Edited the title! You are a funny guy!

Started using the heated seat again and it's still way too hot, has anyone figured out a way too cool it down at all?

It’s a single stage function unfortunately, they are either ON or OFF - That’s it !
There appears to be no resistor built into the system that would facilitate lowering the heat out put into different levels like on many other models.
I will take a single level heat source over no heat at all TBH.
I only tend to use them for a short time to warm my peach 🍑 until the rest of the cabin warms up 🤣.
Heated seats 💺 are fine as a quick form of heat only I find.

Could they pulse the output thus reducing the heat.
Its possible I guess, but it would be difficult to keep the heat setting consistent maybe ?.

How sensors keep you safe​

The longer the seat cushion stays on, the hotter it gets. If it were to stay on for too long, it would get hot enough to become uncomfortable or even dangerous to sit in. It could even start a fire in the cushion.

To prevent this, most car seat heaters have a thermostat. The thermostat measures the temperature in the cushion. When it reaches a certain temperature, the thermostat sends a signal, automatically turning off the relay until the seat cools down a bit.

At that point, the thermostat turns the relay back on again. Many seat cushions also have “high” and “low” settings that let the driver control the temperature of the seat cushions.

In the MG it has a thermostat built in, but appears to be set a little too high.
What is missing is the High / Low settings really.

A mid setting too! So many things could be in software if the hardware allowed it such as drop mirrors on reverse and seat memory positions.

A mid setting too! So many things could be in software if the hardware allowed it such as drop mirrors on reverse and seat memory positions.
It's started life as a budget EV so some corners have to get cut along the way.
These maybe little things, but they all add up into a LONG list in the end I guess.

Yes but other similar cars have it, eg Nissan Leaf and heated steering wheel. I guess £35.5k is a budget EV, lucky I paid a bit less 😃.

Yes but other similar cars have it, eg Nissan Leaf and heated steering wheel. I guess £35.5k is a budget EV, lucky I paid a bit less 😃.
This is true, but when the Gen 2 was first released it was not £35.5k !.
Also the Leaf at that price point of about 32k with a 64 Kwh battery, can not match the size of the range available in the larger battery pack of the ZE EV LR.
The battery is the most expensive part of any EV really.
Are you willing to trade that extra range for a heated steering wheel and more control of your heated seats ?.
That is purely down to what is more important to a different set of people I guess ?.
A heated steering wheel is nice, but I will take extra range all day TBH.

I had a budget of 30k so was looking at a trophy not LR so range wise they were close. Then I found a trophy connect LR for a few K less than my budget so went for it.

My Australian spec Mark 1 is pretty good (re heated seats). It took a few drives to get used to it, but now I find it's fine. It does cycle between two temperatures.

Weather is changing so I’ve used the heated seat for the first time, bloody hell they get uncomfortably hot.
On my previous car I had three levels of heat and only ever used the lowest.

Come on MG give us an OTA update and give us some heat level choices!!
I’m afraid OTA is a feature that was promised at initial launch but quietly forgotten when cars were put in full production.

I got a cheap seat cover for the summer seats getting hot in the sun, was going to take it off for the winter, but it makes the heated seats really comfortable

The single setting on the 2020 ZS I had was fine, it got really hot initially but soon settled down, I got used to it and actually only use the high setting on my MG4 now.

I noticed a ZSEV in a carpark recently that had sheepskin covers on the front seats - all is explained?
I do find them too hot but just turn them on and off appropriately.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom