Heating up the car while still charging

andyryan1988

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Afternoon all, I'll soon be taking ownership of an MG5, and I'm trying to find out if its possible to "precondition" the car. I found one other older post on this with conflicting information and seeming no confirmed answer either way, with some saying the charge stops when you open the car. Others saying its doable with fiddling. Now that there more owners out there, I'm hoping for a definitive answer.

To be clear, the objective is:
  • wake up on a cold frosty morning.
  • With the car plugged in to a home charging point. Turn on the car. Set the AC to a toasty 20 degrees.
  • Go back inside. Have breakfast and a cuppa
  • Go back to a nice warm car with 100% charge still remaining

Afternoon all, I'll soon be taking ownership of an MG5, and I'm trying to find out if its possible to "precondition" the car. I found one other older post on this with conflicting information and seeming no confirmed answer either way, with some saying the charge stops when you open the car. Others saying its doable with fiddling. Now that there more owners out there, I'm hoping for a definitive answer.

To be clear, the objective is:
  • wake up on a cold frosty morning.
  • With the car plugged in to a home charging point. Turn on the car. Set the AC to a toasty 20 degrees.
  • Go back inside. Have breakfast and a cuppa
  • Go back to a nice warm car with 100% charge still remaining
This short video will answer your questions.

But, can you precondition the battery and heat the car up without sitting in it
I believe the new facelift version has an app so you can but the older version can't.

But, can you precondition the battery and heat the car up without sitting in it
I believe the new facelift version has an app so you can but the older version can't.
The literal answer is yes, for either older or new facelift versions, how you do it differs.

Older version, switch on press the buttons, twist the dials for whatever you want, get out shut the door.
Newer version, use the app.

:)

I did this yesterday for the first time in my pre-facelift MG5 and it worked fine except you can't lock the car.

With the new facelift yes you can... I have found it very useful this week....
This is carried out through the ismart app.

Really heavy frosts here and my procedure, for a Mk1 is go out switch it on press all the buttons necessary, close the door, de-ice the windscreen and rear screen. By the time I've done that the car is practically clear and warm inside, so no waiting around really :) One of the great advantages of almost instant heat, not having to wait for the engine to warm up. I'm not missing having an app for pre-heating at all, although I suppose if I had one I might use it.

Really heavy frosts here and my procedure, for a Mk1 is go out switch it on press all the buttons necessary, close the door, de-ice the windscreen and rear screen. By the time I've done that the car is practically clear and warm inside, so no waiting around really :) One of the great advantages of almost instant heat, not having to wait for the engine to warm up. I'm not missing having an app for pre-heating at all, although I suppose if I had one I might use it.
I followed a very similar process with our ZS EV Gen 1 and our previous VW Golf PHEV.
Both cars never had the App’s and needed to be fully booted to access the facility of course.
The was no security issue as the car was parked within six feet of the house.
I could have breakfast, while keeping an eye on the car.
The only give away, was that the front DRL’s were on while the car preheated.
These could not be seen from the road.
Oddly enough, the ZS EV Gen 2 it’s the REAR tail lights that are ON when the preheating is in progress ?.
This can be seen from the road in my case, turning the car around, makes access difficult.
I can’t think of any reason why they would set it up this way, to be honest - Why ???.
Not having the App is no major disadvantage.
But it does have some advantages of course, purely from the security angle.
Plus it enables you to trigger features from a distance away, without fully booting up the car is big advantage.
Being able to check on your remaining age range, without going out to car is handy.

The literal answer is yes, for either older or new facelift versions, how you do it differs.

Older version, switch on press the buttons, twist the dials for whatever you want, get out shut the door.
Newer version, use the app.

:)
Gomev, thank you for your succinct answer, just waiting on a Jan delivery for a MG4 Trophy now.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom