Heating

Hi MowerMan,
Many thanks for sharing your experience with HS heating. As a Stirling native, I'd expect whinstone common sense from Wick man.😊 I guess this glitch is what happens when things are hybridised. We're having another(!) look at the HS and ZS next week. Part of me still wants to go BEV but the HS is the better car - I think..... Who was it who said, "I used to think I was indecisive but now I'm not so sure."?

We're having another(!) look at the HS and ZS next week. Part of me still wants to go BEV but the HS is the better car - I think
PHEV & full BEV is completely two different beasts, as I am sure you know already !.
I owned a PHEV for four years before going full BEV.
Both great cars in there own right, but once have experienced electric driving, you will find yourself wanting it 100% of the time.
The HS is a bigger car than the ZS.
Do you need all of that extra space, if so then it’s the HS.
Also, it depends on your usage case.
Does the full BEV meet all of your needs regarding range etc 100% of the time ?.
It is a difficult decision I will admit.
The PHEV is the safest opinion because you have the back up of a ICE under the bonnet.
But if you use electric power for a lot of your short journeys ( and why would you not ) then you are giving that heavy engine etc a free ride !.
PHEV has its place because full EV does not suit everybody.
But if a BEV fit’s the bill, then I would go full BEV.
PHEV are economically over a ICE - But don’t come close to the running costs on a BEV !.

Hi - I also had misgivings about the heating issue - but it's turned out to be a non-issue in the end
If the engine starts because there is a call for heat in the car, and you drive off, you will see (in the power flow graphic on the screen) that although the engine is running, it's not actually driving the car. If you keep the speed under 25 mph (as most short journeys are) it will NEVER drive the car - the economy figures will be in the hundreds per gallon range. If you exceed 25mph, the engine and car will heat up quickly anyway and you can then switch to ev mode anyway. Even if you don't, just using the IC engine for heat costs next to nothing - although it was a strange design choice. An electric heater is just about the simplest piece of technology there is and costs next to nothing. I can't imagine why they didn't include one.
A small electric heater would still eat Into the smaller phev battery rang, and as you say - no need to worry

Last edited by a moderator:
A BEV is only cheap to run because the electricity isn’t taxed the way petrol is. That advantage cannot last forever. The costs of installing the national infrastructure to cope with demands of charging are part paid through our electric bills. That adds to fuel poverty for the poor who are paying towards those already with the means to buy a BEV. So much for a fair society and levelling up…. the poor subsidising the rich to put on their display of environmental concern. If the Electricity had an equal or greater cost to petrol I wonder how many BEV cars would be sold….

Ah, now taxation is an altogether different kettle of fish. (Sorry, Henri8, another British fishy expression.😏) If the electricity infrastructure comes under too much pressure, I can envisage an element of tax-swap from fossil fuels to electricity, to encourage people to hang on to their ICEs a bit longer!

Could it be, that it is cheaper to run the ICE for heating than electric? With electric heating the EV range will be lower, consequently you will switch over to hybrid mode earlier which will give a higher cost ratio.
In my continental version HS the speed of ICE kick-in is 25 km/h, quiet a unpleasant difference.

When driving on EV only and using AC, my windscreen fogs up (Driver's side only, passenger side remains clear). Does anyone have a solution to this. I drive a MG HS PHEV.

When driving on EV only and using AC, my windscreen fogs up (Driver's side only, passenger side remains clear). Does anyone have a solution to this. I drive a MG HS PHEV.
I saw in one of the podcasts that there is a draft on the drivers side around the steering column and someone said they stuffed some car insulation in.

Just a maybe.... I put a 1kw fan heater in the boot of my estate with back seats flat when the car is covered in ice or snow, the windows are fogged and I do not fancy scraping the ice or snow off the windows and waiting for the glass to de-mist while the ICE chugs away. 10 minutes later and after my cuppa has been drunk, take out the heater close the tailgate and drive off in a warm car. No idea what that costs in terms of £ / Kwh and in all honesty don't really care either, warmer and safer. But maybe that's just me.....

What podcast
I had a quick look. I'm sure I saw a picture or video somewhere but @Srp111 mentioned it in this thread at least.

Post 13.

Well, that's that, then. I took The Management to test-drive the ZS and HS this afternoon - and we didn't get off the forecourt. She absolutely hated the seats in both of them! Apparently the bolsters of the bucket seats are too deep and too close-fitting. After nearly 40 years I recognise when negotiation is pointless, so it's farewell MG. Hey ho!

Crikey, don’t look at a Volvo then! In comparison with my V60 they are positively loose fitting. She needs ‘pursuading’ to actually travel in the car and feel the benefits.

We love our PHEV.. it gives us comfort and driving ease with reasonable economy... also puts a smile on my face every time I drive it...

Last edited:
Well, that's that, then. I took The Management to test-drive the ZS and HS this afternoon - and we didn't get off the forecourt. She absolutely hated the seats in both of them! Apparently the bolsters of the bucket seats are too deep and too close-fitting. After nearly 40 years I recognise when negotiation is pointless, so it's farewell MG. Hey ho!

Ha that happened to me with a Vauxhall Crossland that I'd all but put my signature to, but then my Wife said she couldn't cope with the seats... No such problem with the HS PHEV though thankfully 🙏

I don't think I'd consider a 1.5 petrol engine for towing. I always stuck fairly close to the CC's guideline of caravan at 80% of towcar weight and 50bhp/tonne combined.
I used to caravan with both petrol and diesel although no longer. I would have thought that the Rule of Thumb from the CC would not have been based on a Hybrid configuration where both power plats work together flexibly and don't forget the higher Torque from the EV motor will totally skew any calculation based on the 1500 ICE. I had a long conversation with a Kia Niro PHEV owner who said it was the best tow car he'd ever owned because of the electrical assistance just when needed and I can't think why the HS would not be any different in that respect.

What has the engine CC to do with BHP/tonne? Look at the actual figures before making such a statement. The CAMC and their kin live in the past with those guidelines. The power/weight ratio of the HS PHEV with a 1500kg van is around 70horses/tonne and over 40 horses on ICE alone.

Aarh ........ Never mind.
Well, at least you tried 🤷‍♂️ .
As the old saying goes :-
"You can drag a donkey to the water, but you can't make him drink it ! ".
Please - No offence made of course.
Best hitch up you tent and move on :ROFLMAO:.
"A happy wife, is a happy life".
Good luck with your search my friend.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom