Help! Car suddenly stopped delayed charging

GuineapigSoup

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi, I'm still a bit of a newbie having got a 21 plate ZS in August. I've got a Project EV charger at home and would set it to charge the car overnight when economy 7 kicked in 😁

Recently my car won't "do" delayed charging on my charger anymore. I have to unlock and relock the car to wake it up to charge. Now here's the wierd thing, it will charge overnight using the granny plug on a timer switch. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm struggling to work out where the "fault" is!

The car is booked in to see the dealer next week as it's doing a few other wierd things - randomly locking/unlocking the charger at the front & the infotainment screen goes blank or completely unresponsive. Just feels like it needs a Ctrl + Alt + Del!!

Hi, I'm still a bit of a newbie having got a 21 plate ZS in August. I've got a Project EV charger at home and would set it to charge the car overnight when economy 7 kicked in 😁

Recently my car won't "do" delayed charging on my charger anymore. I have to unlock and relock the car to wake it up to charge. Now here's the wierd thing, it will charge overnight using the granny plug on a timer switch. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm struggling to work out where the "fault" is!

The car is booked in to see the dealer next week as it's doing a few other wierd things - randomly locking/unlocking the charger at the front & the infotainment screen goes blank or completely unresponsive. Just feels like it needs a Ctrl + Alt + Del!!
I have read that disconnecting the negative lead from the 12v battery for 10 minutes can ‘reset’ the infotainment system. Might be worth a try?

Ctrl alt delete is hold the home button down for 10 secs.
The solution to my charging problems was to set the charger to on (like a dumb charger and let the car control the timing through its 'scheduled charging settings' function.

I think it is more of a problem with your charger rather than your MG. I have a Project-EV charger that has been faultless since installing it last year. When you click pre-set charging on the app with your car connected to charger does it accept it? You should get a charge pending message on the front page. Are you sure it is connected to wifi? Also try a hard reboot of the unit.

If the car charges fine with a timer switch coupled up to the Granny, then this would indicate that the issue is with the wall box and not the car itself.

I think it is more of a problem with your charger rather than your MG. I have a Project-EV charger that has been faultless since installing it last year. When you click pre-set charging on the app with your car connected to charger does it accept it? You should get a charge pending message on the front page. Are you sure it is connected to wifi? Also try a hard reboot of the unit.
Yep, charger accepts it. I've even watched it turn on start flashing green but nothing happens until I unlock/relock the car then the green light changes to pulsing and it starts charging. I've turned the unit off at the fuse box to restart it and still no joy ☹️

Do we have scheduled charging settings on the MK1?
No - Not directly from the car !.
You are not unable to set delayed charging that can be controlled by the car itself on the Gen1 versions.
The Gen2 face lift CAN be controlled to delay charge via the info screen in the car, or by the App on your smart phone.

No - Not directly from the car !.
You are not unable to set delayed charging that can be controlled by the car itself on the Gen1 versions.
The Gen2 face lift CAN be controlled to delay charge via the info screen in the car, or by the App on your smart phone.
And here was me hoping there was a secret menu I hadn't found 😂

Switch your charger off at the mains for a minute then switch on again. I also have a project ev charger that glitches occasionally.

So, it turns out we had a power cut when the car was plugged into the charger which turned my car into a "stressed teenager" (technician's words not mine!). They discovered lots of random fault codes which they cleared... and we charged perfectly overnight!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom