• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Help with electrical question RE Installation of wall charger

SimmieC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,
Are there any electricians out there who could help with my situation.
I live in France and the electrics over here are only slightly different to the systems in the UK.
First of all has anyone had a wall charger installed in a French property?
Secondly can anyone help with the specifics when it comes to the installation of the charger box.
To give a rough idea of my situation....
In my house I have a consumer box with a 6mm2 cable supply from the meter. I have space in the consumer box for another 4 trip switches.
I will need to run a cable to the barn opposite the house, which is a run of either 25m (through the house) or 35m (out of the back of the house and through an adjacent barn).
Now, can I use 6mm2 cable for a 7.3kw charger (looking at Zappi as I will have PV next year) or should I upgrade to 10mm2?
Also what trips/protection will I need?
Really sorry for the long text but wanted to make sure I put as much detail as possible!!!
Simon

In my house I have a consumer box with a 6mm2 cable supply from the meter. I have space in the consumer box for another 4 trip switches.
Now, can I use 6mm2 cable for a 7.3kw charger (looking at Zappi as I will have PV next year) or should I upgrade to 10mm2?
6 mm² is good for at least 35 A, which is fine for a single phase 7.2 A EVSE.

But usually, you would need a dedicated line from the EVSE right back to the main switch board. It sounds like that 6 mm² cable would or at least could be shared with other things. I don't know the European regulations, but that would not fly in Australia. Unless that board with the 4 spare slots IS the main switchboard.

At 35+ m, it's a fairly long run, but I think you will be fine with the voltage drop from 6 mm².

This IET discussion points out that the loses with a 6mm2 cable, especially over a 35m run, are significant (around 200W whilst charging at 7kW), and after a few years you'd have saved money installing 10mm2 (which will approx halve those losses). Especially if you consider emissions too there is a lot to be said for just doing the better/more efficient job. It's not excessive, and will cost about an extra £50 (up front, not over the long term)
There are also earthing considerations if you have a PME installation (shared neutral and earth back to the substation - not sure if that's common in France - it is in the UK). The Zappi has built-in PME fault protection so it's simple. most other chargers don;t so you'll have to install an earth rod near the charger/car (or a separate PME fault detection box which is over £200).
This doc explains it all nicely. https://evcables.co.uk/d/global/EOC...l_Electrical_Guidelines_for_Installations.pdf
As someone else said it's much simpler if you can go straight from a supply with no RCD (again there is one in the Zappi). if not you need to worry about discrimination between two RCDs.

Last edited:
For those not familiar with the acronym PME (I had to look it up), it stands for Protective Multiple Earthing. In Australia, we'd call that (or something very similar) MEN: Multiple Earthed Neutral. It's MGN in North America (Multiple Grounded Neutral).

Thanks both of you for your input. I've decided to go with 2 x 102mm cable and install a separate Earth rod close to the unit (belt and braces).
Cheers.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom