HELP!

St0cky

Standard Member
Reaction score
I’ve got myself into a sticky situation (or rather my wife has, but let’s face it, I’ll be to blame at some point).
Our MG is parked up near Barlow Moor Road in Manchester with 28 miles left. We live 40 miles away.
Up to now I have only charged the car using three pin at home and this isn’t an option where she works. I have never used a rapid charger so don’t have anything set up to make payment on them.
Can anyone suggest the best way of getting the car home?
Many thanks in advance

Is there a supermarket nearby that operates free chargers? For example, Pod Point chargers are free around me, and whilst they are fast, they're not rapid (1 hour 45 minutes added 40 miles to my range). Pod Point use an app which you will have to install and setup, but once it is you can charge immediately. Also, look at Zap Map to see what chargers are close by, investigate their sign-up options and take it from there. Bear in mind whilst charger locations are shown, and Zap Map reports on their operability, it may be that chargers listed don't actually work! :mad: Other than that the only thing I can think of is asking someone nicely if you can plug in the granny charger...

That’s great thanks. Currently looking at Zap Map - how do I know if the chargers are tethered? I only have the granny plug.
Thanks again.

Certainly all fast and Rapid chargers are tethered. There are plenty of chargers around you, drive to one that is working (check on Zap Map) and you can almost certainly download the appropriate app and register.

Or just pick one and register before you go...Pick a rapid charger, and you will be done in an hour at the most

Screenshot (85).png

1606816652661.png

Head to the instavolt that is at the Texaco garage on Mauldeth Road. Its a rapid charger and you can use contacless card to activate and end the charge session. It's 35p a kWh but will get you juiced up in no time and will be the least painless experience of charging in the wild. I've used this many times when I used to work over in Salford and had a low range EV.

View attachment 861
Head to the instavolt that is at the Texaco garage on Mauldeth Road. Its a rapid charger and you can use contacless card to activate and end the charge session. It's 35p a kWh but will get you juiced up in no time and will be the least painless experience of charging in the wild. I've used this many times when I used to work over in Salford and had a low range EV.
Sounds good. Do I need to register with Instavolt?

All modern RAPID chargers are obliged to have debit/credit card access so no RFID or App required but you will be paying top price/kW. They are all tethered so no cable required. FAST chargers will require your cable for connection. Instavolt and Shell Recharge certainly have easy access payment but at most it will be less than £4 to get your wife home safely. Check Zap Map for CCS chargers and their availability.

Hopefully this is sorted now, but just to add that the free Pod Point I used (just once!) required my cable. There may have been others that were thethered, but I didn't look.

Hopefully this is sorted now, but just to add that the free Pod Point I used (just once!) required my cable. There may have been others that were thethered, but I didn't look.
I have never come across a FAST charger only (that's up to 22kW AC) that has a tethered cable either.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom