Hesitating on MG5 Long Range / Exclusive (UK)

luis

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Short version: I think I want this car, but am worried about taking the plunge.

Hi everyone - I’ve just joined this forum having read many of the threads on it - and learned a lot.

I got my first EV - a 2nd hand Nissan Leaf (30kwh) - a year ago, as a second car to use in town, to complement our old diesel MPV (to be used for longer journeys). Shortly after, the diesel had a minor accident and was written off. We’ve managed with the EV since.
However - range anxiety (approx 100 miles if driven VERY gently with family of 4 + luggage) and the use of the older charging connector which seems to be getting rarer every day (CHADEMO) gives charging anxiety where you often have to share just one connector with other Nissan EVs - even on motorways - makes me look at an alternative. This makes family holidays stressful and long journeys very impractical. (Not the fault of the leaf - it wasn’t designed for this - and remains a great cheap EV as a second car).

I’ve considered getting a second ICE car, which would easily be cheaper, but it would only get sporadic use, and cause hassle with more services/MOTs etc.. - and after being 100% EV just feels like a backwards step. The same is true for hybrid cars which generally have small batteries and so would often fire up the ICE.

So if I sell the Leaf and replace it with something with more storage, more range, and using the CCS charger connector that is everywhere this would solve all my issues.

I’ve looked at all the EVs available (new and old), and nothing comes close to the MG5 (exclusive long range) for range, storage & spec.
I even quite like the look of the MG5 despite many reviewers complaining about this.

I plan to test drive one next week to confirm build quality, drive feel, etc - from the reviews I’ve seen (all of them) - I think I’ll be pleased.

My first concern is heavy depreciation if a new facelift model gets released next year (I can’t afford to be swapping cars all the time). I would feel sick to my stomach if I’d bought the first MG5 (as I very nearly did) only to then see the long range with better safety features come out for just a bit more). This causes me to hesitate and perhaps wait for a 2nd hand MG5 LR car to come on the market to lower my initial investment - though I’ve already seen it discounted a fair bit!
(In addition, if this model is phased out quickly, then spare parts will be very hard to get in this country (UK)) - I’ve had that issue in the past.

My second concern is the apparent complete lack of any official APP connectivity here in the UK (please correct me if I’m wrong). At the most basic level, knowing how much charge the car has without having to go to it is one of my most used features on the Leaf - as well as remote heating the car on cold days. Scheduled charging I can do with my smart charger. From what I’ve read - there may be a 3rd party project that may work through the ODBII port - but this isn’t in place yet - in the absence of an official solution- I would definitely help out in any way to get this working as it is a glaring omission that initially made me rule out the car altogether.

So I guess I’m after some reassurance from current MG EV drivers of their experiences in the UK from their cars, their dealers, software glitches, how often updates are released, etc.

Do you recommend MG, and do you recommend the MG5?

Thanks (if you read this far).

I don't have mine yet and really can only comment on the "new model worries" and if you go and get car on the 0% PCP that does leave you the option of being able to trade up further down the line.

I'll let those who actually have an MG5 comment on the rest!

Hi everyone - I’ve just joined this forum having read many of the threads on it - and learned a lot.

I got my first EV - a 2nd hand Nissan Leaf (30kwh) - a year ago, as a second car to use in town, to complement our old diesel MPV (to be used for longer journeys). Shortly after, the diesel had a minor accident and was written off. We’ve managed with the EV since.
However - range anxiety (approx 100 miles if driven VERY gently with family of 4 + luggage) and the use of the older charging connector which seems to be getting rarer every day (CHADEMO) gives charging anxiety where you often have to share just one connector with other Nissan EVs - even on motorways - makes me look at an alternative. This makes family holidays stressful and long journeys very impractical. (Not the fault of the leaf - it wasn’t designed for this - and remains a great cheap EV as a second car).

I’ve considered getting a second ICE car, which would easily be cheaper, but it would only get sporadic use, and cause hassle with more services/MOTs etc.. - and after being 100% EV just feels like a backwards step. The same is true for hybrid cars which generally have small batteries and so would often fire up the ICE.

So if I sell the Leaf and replace it with something with more storage, more range, and using the CCS charger connector that is everywhere this would solve all my issues.

I’ve looked at all the EVs available (new and old), and nothing comes close to the MG5 (exclusive long range) for range, storage & spec.
I even quite like the look of the MG5 despite many reviewers complaining about this.

I plan to test drive one next week to confirm build quality, drive feel, etc - from the reviews I’ve seen (all of them) - I think I’ll be pleased.

My first concern is heavy depreciation if a new facelift model gets released next year (I can’t afford to be swapping cars all the time). I would feel sick to my stomach if I’d bought the first MG5 (as I very nearly did) only to then see the long range with better safety features come out for just a bit more). This causes me to hesitate and perhaps wait for a 2nd hand MG5 LR car to come on the market to lower my initial investment - though I’ve already seen it discounted a fair bit!
(In addition, if this model is phased out quickly, then spare parts will be very hard to get in this country (UK)) - I’ve had that issue in the past.

My second concern is the apparent complete lack of any official APP connectivity here in the UK (please correct me if I’m wrong). At the most basic level, knowing how much charge the car has without having to go to it is one of my most used features on the Leaf - as well as remote heating the car on cold days. Scheduled charging I can do with my smart charger. From what I’ve read - there may be a 3rd party project that may work through the ODBII port - but this isn’t in place yet - in the absence of an official solution- I would definitely help out in any way to get this working as it is a glaring omission that initially made me rule out the car altogether.

So I guess I’m after some reassurance from current MG EV drivers of their experiences in the UK from their cars, their dealers, software glitches, how often updates are released, etc.

I have the normal range MG5, owned it for maybe 6 months now. I personally can't fault it, it's a great car. I got it brand new for £21500 Exclusive in Red through my business.

I've not had a single problem so far apart from squeaky breaks when I first reverse it off the driveway. I don't need to do many public charges as I charge at home, but when I have its been hassle free.

If you go on motorway at 65mph in nice weather you'll easily get the 214 range.

Personally I drive fast as its never above 100 mile trips for me and love speeding away from the BMW's etc. I don't consider the newer European car as a face-lift, jts not that different and I prefer the front of this model.

Let's face it if you buy a Nissan leaf, or kona or anything, 2 years later there will be a face-lift. All depends if you plan to sell it which I don't. I think if you're buying an MG5 you're not going for a flashy car that looks great, you're going for a good practical car.

Driving an exclusive the only (small) things I would change are the seat covers (away from faux leather) which I did with my own fabric ones because the leatherette makes you sweat. And the rain sensor in the front windscreen, it's huge and annoying and works only intermittently (I think).

The car itself is absolutely fine to drive, I have driven vehicles that left me exhausted at the end of the day but the 5 is not like that, it's really very easy/comfortable to drive.

I've not had a single problem so far apart from squeaky breaks when I first reverse it off the driveway.
On my leaf, I too was getting this issue.
No idea if it’s the same on the MG5, but the leaf has an electronic brake and a foot-operated traditional brake (with the ratchet sound).

I found that if I (1) stop the car (brake pedal), (2) put it in neutral and (3) engage the foot-operated hand brake and switch the car off (which automatically puts it into park on the leaf) - this would stop the brakes “sticking and squeaking” when I reversed first thing in the morning.

I therefore assume that it was the park brake that was sticking when applied at the slightest inclination - whereas the “hand brake” stops the car from the slightest move, meaning the park brake will engage/disengage easily.

Give it a go and let me know if it works.

It solved my problem (on the leaf) within a day and I’ve not had it since.

[edited to fix the numerous incorrect spellings of brake]

Last edited:
I used to get squeaky brakes when reversing on full lock, it went away pretty quickly though.

Only issue I have with my MG 5 is rarely being able to connect my phone to android auto (and before anybody starts it is not a problem with the lead).

Yes, you are right. I should know this even though English is my 3rd language. (I’m not offended btw)
No offence meant. And I'm sure there are plenty of posts with similar mistakes where English is the posters first language.😁

Firstly on depreciation....I bought my exclusive standard range in Feb for £21500. WBAC are currently offering me £20000 for it (not that I'm selling as I love it). It's very well put together, and mine (white) seems to have survived any stone chips at all which for modern paintwork is a bit of a first for me. The LR will only have a couple of differences to the facelift (if it gets here at all) which are 11kW AC charging which most people can't do as they don't have a 3 phase supply and also offer a vehicle to device AC of up to 2.5 kW. So I don't expect much of a devaluation issue.

On the App front it doesn't have one because there is a data protection issue related to servers in China. Having said that the cabin preheating is not an issue as it defrosts super quick, just a couple of minutes. On the state of charge if you press the door switch whilst out of range of the keys the state of charge pops up on the dash.

I came from an Outlander phev to this and would never go back. Was worried about range at first but have since travelled to Scotland 310 miles on s single rapid charge on the way, and do trips to parents in a day of 270 round trip with a single rapid top up.

Thank you all for your valuable feedback. It’s definitely reassuring me - and I think we will be going for one of these - will test drive next week (after my current holiday - assuming we make it home for the 140 mile trip with our leaf - which will require charging before we leave, and once more on the way… - something the MG5‘s 250 mile range would laugh at)

(Also really interesting to find out why the app was excluded in the UK - thanks ALANB)

I’ll let you all know how I get on with the test drive - and my first impressions coming from the leaf.

Just went to see an LR this afternoon after 5 months ownership of a std. range 5 that is probably the best car I've bought lately.
I did a 221-mile trip to Skegness in it in July with 17 miles left, so range has never been an issue, it's just there's an LR locally for £25k which is quite tempting!
I am also unsure whether to keep mine, go for the LR or wait for the facelift (which reportedly has over 300-mile range) but these go quick so I'll have to make a decision this week.

Unless you really need the extra range and MG Pilot I'd stick with what you have for now.

A lot of us have bought the MG 5 standard range only to see the LR come put 6 months later. Whose to say what may happen ion the next 6 to 12 months. We may get lucky and find the facelift version becomes available.

The motivation is that I can sell my std. 5 for more than I paid for it new, so it would be like starting from scratch again with a brand new LR effectively costing less than £24k.

The motivation is that I can sell my std. 5 for more than I paid for it new, so it would be like starting from scratch again with a brand new LR effectively costing less than £24k.
Makes sound financial sense to get the long range now, if you can get more for than you paid for the standard range and maybe do it again when the face lift comes out? I’d be certainly thinking about it!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom