Hesitating on MG5 Long Range / Exclusive (UK)

Short version: I think I want this car, but am worried about taking the plunge.

Hi everyone - I’ve just joined this forum having read many of the threads on it - and learned a lot.

I got my first EV - a 2nd hand Nissan Leaf (30kwh) - a year ago, as a second car to use in town, to complement our old diesel MPV (to be used for longer journeys). Shortly after, the diesel had a minor accident and was written off. We’ve managed with the EV since.
However - range anxiety (approx 100 miles if driven VERY gently with family of 4 + luggage) and the use of the older charging connector which seems to be getting rarer every day (CHADEMO) gives charging anxiety where you often have to share just one connector with other Nissan EVs - even on motorways - makes me look at an alternative. This makes family holidays stressful and long journeys very impractical. (Not the fault of the leaf - it wasn’t designed for this - and remains a great cheap EV as a second car).

I’ve considered getting a second ICE car, which would easily be cheaper, but it would only get sporadic use, and cause hassle with more services/MOTs etc.. - and after being 100% EV just feels like a backwards step. The same is true for hybrid cars which generally have small batteries and so would often fire up the ICE.

So if I sell the Leaf and replace it with something with more storage, more range, and using the CCS charger connector that is everywhere this would solve all my issues.

I’ve looked at all the EVs available (new and old), and nothing comes close to the MG5 (exclusive long range) for range, storage & spec.
I even quite like the look of the MG5 despite many reviewers complaining about this.

I plan to test drive one next week to confirm build quality, drive feel, etc - from the reviews I’ve seen (all of them) - I think I’ll be pleased.

My first concern is heavy depreciation if a new facelift model gets released next year (I can’t afford to be swapping cars all the time). I would feel sick to my stomach if I’d bought the first MG5 (as I very nearly did) only to then see the long range with better safety features come out for just a bit more). This causes me to hesitate and perhaps wait for a 2nd hand MG5 LR car to come on the market to lower my initial investment - though I’ve already seen it discounted a fair bit!
(In addition, if this model is phased out quickly, then spare parts will be very hard to get in this country (UK)) - I’ve had that issue in the past.

My second concern is the apparent complete lack of any official APP connectivity here in the UK (please correct me if I’m wrong). At the most basic level, knowing how much charge the car has without having to go to it is one of my most used features on the Leaf - as well as remote heating the car on cold days. Scheduled charging I can do with my smart charger. From what I’ve read - there may be a 3rd party project that may work through the ODBII port - but this isn’t in place yet - in the absence of an official solution- I would definitely help out in any way to get this working as it is a glaring omission that initially made me rule out the car altogether.

So I guess I’m after some reassurance from current MG EV drivers of their experiences in the UK from their cars, their dealers, software glitches, how often updates are released, etc.

Do you recommend MG, and do you recommend the MG5?

Thanks (if you read this far).
I’ve had my MG5 214 range for about 6 months - couldn’t resist the deal but I’ve been very pleased with it. It does exactly what it says on the tin with extreme competence. It’s lovely to drive, comfortable, quiet, relaxing. The LR will address a couple of issues though.
MG pilot would make longer journeys even more relaxing.
11kw on board charger is a great thing to have, a number of times I’ve pulled up to a 50kw DC charger that’s either occupied or not working but there’s several 22kw charge points free and available. Being able to charge at these points at 11kw rather than 7 is a big advantage.

Hi everyone - I’ve just joined this forum having read many of the threads on it - and learned a lot.

I got my first EV - a 2nd hand Nissan Leaf (30kwh) - a year ago, as a second car to use in town, to complement our old diesel MPV (to be used for longer journeys). Shortly after, the diesel had a minor accident and was written off. We’ve managed with the EV since.
However - range anxiety (approx 100 miles if driven VERY gently with family of 4 + luggage) and the use of the older charging connector which seems to be getting rarer every day (CHADEMO) gives charging anxiety where you often have to share just one connector with other Nissan EVs - even on motorways - makes me look at an alternative. This makes family holidays stressful and long journeys very impractical. (Not the fault of the leaf - it wasn’t designed for this - and remains a great cheap EV as a second car).

I’ve considered getting a second ICE car, which would easily be cheaper, but it would only get sporadic use, and cause hassle with more services/MOTs etc.. - and after being 100% EV just feels like a backwards step. The same is true for hybrid cars which generally have small batteries and so would often fire up the ICE.

So if I sell the Leaf and replace it with something with more storage, more range, and using the CCS charger connector that is everywhere this would solve all my issues.

I’ve looked at all the EVs available (new and old), and nothing comes close to the MG5 (exclusive long range) for range, storage & spec.
I even quite like the look of the MG5 despite many reviewers complaining about this.

I plan to test drive one next week to confirm build quality, drive feel, etc - from the reviews I’ve seen (all of them) - I think I’ll be pleased.

My first concern is heavy depreciation if a new facelift model gets released next year (I can’t afford to be swapping cars all the time). I would feel sick to my stomach if I’d bought the first MG5 (as I very nearly did) only to then see the long range with better safety features come out for just a bit more). This causes me to hesitate and perhaps wait for a 2nd hand MG5 LR car to come on the market to lower my initial investment - though I’ve already seen it discounted a fair bit!
(In addition, if this model is phased out quickly, then spare parts will be very hard to get in this country (UK)) - I’ve had that issue in the past.

My second concern is the apparent complete lack of any official APP connectivity here in the UK (please correct me if I’m wrong). At the most basic level, knowing how much charge the car has without having to go to it is one of my most used features on the Leaf - as well as remote heating the car on cold days. Scheduled charging I can do with my smart charger. From what I’ve read - there may be a 3rd party project that may work through the ODBII port - but this isn’t in place yet - in the absence of an official solution- I would definitely help out in any way to get this working as it is a glaring omission that initially made me rule out the car altogether.

So I guess I’m after some reassurance from current MG EV drivers of their experiences in the UK from their cars, their dealers, software glitches, how often updates are released, etc.

I use a rough guide of 160 miles between charges

on a long journey this allows maximum charge rates and therefore shorted stops rather than waiting for a full top up which slows rate considerably, a long range would give more flexibility and take you much closer the the capability of far more expensive EVs.
Let’s not forget the DC charge rate of the LR is superior too so your ready to Ultra fast charge as the network improves.
Don’t forget the depreciation will be pretty small compared to owning a new ICE vehicle or a new premium EV. MG’s have a great warranty too.
I’m talking myself into upgrading to a LR and if I can get a deal I’ll be there.
Enjoy..You won’t be disappointed

I’ve had my MG5 214 range for about 6 months - couldn’t resist the deal but I’ve been very pleased with it. It does exactly what it says on the tin with extreme competence. It’s lovely to drive, comfortable, quiet, relaxing. The LR will address a couple of issues though.
MG pilot would make longer journeys even more relaxing.
11kw on board charger is a great thing to have, a number of times I’ve pulled up to a 50kw DC charger that’s either occupied or not working but there’s several 22kw charge points free and available. Being able to charge at these points at 11kw rather than 7 is a big advantage.

I use a rough guide of 160 miles between charges

on a long journey this allows maximum charge rates and therefore shorted stops rather than waiting for a full top up which slows rate considerably, a long range would give more flexibility and take you much closer the the capability of far more expensive EVs.
Let’s not forget the DC charge rate of the LR is superior too so your ready to Ultra fast charge as the network improves.
Don’t forget the depreciation will be pretty small compared to owning a new ICE vehicle or a new premium EV. MG’s have a great warranty too.
I’m talking myself into upgrading to a LR and if I can get a deal I’ll be there.
Enjoy..You won’t be disappointed
The MG5 Long Range only has a 6.6kW AC charger. I think it’s the facelift model (due late 2022 to UK) which has the 11kW. And the DC rate of 80kW is the same as the MG5 Standard Range.

Hi luis it’s simple nothing is ever Perfect In the car world have your test drive and if you like it go for it I’m 5000 plus miles in with mine and its great but as I said nothing 100% is perfect in the car world
Les

If people seriously need to rely on Pilot systems as to control distance to the next car or whether they are staying within their own lane, then I would question whether they should even be driving! I have driven cars with lane departure and adaptive cruise and found them so intrusive and irritating they were turned off.

I think those who are considering upgrading to the Long Range need to make their decision purely on whether that extra 40 miles is really critical. Part of my reason for going EV was my environmental impact and not only the CO2 saving but also in knowing I had made a purchase that could last me 7 years minimum. The idea that anyone needs to consider upgrading so soon, and in effect causing a factory in China to make yet another vehicle after only a few months is as worrying as it is perplexing.

Last edited:
Re lane keeping / acc, I have to agree. I've not had extensive experience using one but those I have driven with have been annoying and potentially dangerous. I've posted here before about issues with acc and it's tendency to slam the brakes on when a car in the next lane slows. I've also found lane keeping fighting me when I want to pull out to see if it's safe to overtake. Anything that interferes with your control of the vehicle really has no place being there.

I've not yet tried a Long Range, but does Pilot actually pull you back into lane, or just warn you that you're crossing the line ? My Velar would just warn you by vibrating the steering wheel, whereas a friend's BMW does actually steer, which is most disconcerting.

Interesting to read the above, I have a test drive booked tomorrow in the standard and looking at costs versus the Long Range I couldn’t justify the additional cost.
The extra cost is good value, but Only IF you really NEED the extra 35-40 miles and the new features.
I have all these features on my ZS Exclusive and they are all turned off.
I just wish I could change the Auto wipers to intermittent.

I've not yet tried a Long Range, but does Pilot actually pull you back into lane, or just warn you that you're crossing the line ? My Velar would just warn you by vibrating the steering wheel, whereas a friend's BMW does actually steer, which is most disconcerting.
it pulls you back into lane

If people seriously need to rely on Pilot systems as to control distance to the next car or whether they are staying within their own lane, then I would question whether they should even be driving! I have driven cars with lane departure and adaptive cruise and found them so intrusive and irritating they were turned off.

I think those who are considering upgrading to the Long Range need to make their decision purely on whether that extra 40 miles is really critical. Part of my reason for going EV was my environmental impact and not only the CO2 saving but also in knowing I had made a purchase that could last me 7 years minimum. The idea that anyone needs to consider upgrading so soon, and in effect causing a factory in China to make yet another vehicle after only a few months is as worrying as it is perplexing.
The car would be getting built anyway and as you state will help with someone's environmental impact. I personally don't think it is perplexing, or worrying, that someone wants to upgrade so soon. It proves they really rate the car, and want the best model available. And the fact that the cost to upgrade is so little in this case makes it even more tempting.

Part of the way EVs are going to take off is if the used market starts to have decent options available. If everyone holds onto their car for 7 years this will cause serious uptake problems. It's the law of unintended consequences and what might seem like a good idea falls apart quickly when you connect all the dots of the world we live in. It's best just to do what works for you and not judge others for doing what works for them

double posted reply for some reason

I'm currently planning to keep my standard range for the 4 years of the PCP and then trade in for the best model available at that time.

If I have a windfall before then I may make the change sooner.

The MG5 Long Range only has a 6.6kW AC charger. I think it’s the facelift model (due late 2022 to UK) which has the 11kW. And the DC rate of 80kW is the same as the MG5 Standard Range.
That’s interesting, I must have missed the point about the face lift. Glad you clarified that it makes my interest in the LR over the Standard a lot less. There’s me been telling people how desirable the LR is. I’d been convinced it was only the front end that was different.

The extra range is always welcome, but the 5 insurance group drop in the long range is something not to be forgotten (must add up over 7 years).

I will test drive it next week (life got in the way).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom