Hi Any of you guys are on the Octopus Intelligent Tariff ? I was told my MG4 is not qualified , would appreciate your feedback , Thanks

SULLY111

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi
Any of you guys on the Octopus Intelligent Tariff with your MG4 EV ? I was told my MG4 EV is not qualified , would appreciate your feed back please , I was told a few week ago my MG4 EV is qualified and today they are saying its not .
Regards
Sully111

You can check here:-

The MG4 still isnt compatible, if you have an ohme wallbox however you can still use Intelligent, I believe ZAPPI is also about to become compatible too.

You can check here:-

The MG4 still isnt compatible, if you have an ohme wallbox however you can still use Intelligent, I believe ZAPPI is also about to become compatible too.
Zappi not currently compatible or the MG4 although I have logged into the site asking them to integrate the car. So the option is Octopus Go. I am an existing Octopus customer and when I clicked on the sign me up for the Octopus Go tariff all it was doing was keep sending me further down the page to the terms and conditions. It wouldn’t let me sign up. So I have emailed them this evening. So we will see if they respond

Zappi not currently compatible or the MG4 although I have logged into the site asking them to integrate the car. So the option is Octopus Go. I am an existing Octopus customer and when I clicked on the sign me up for the Octopus Go tariff all it was doing was keep sending me further down the page to the terms and conditions. It wouldn’t let me sign up. So I have emailed them this evening. So we will see if they respond
To be honest, give em a call, you have to wait a few minutes for them to answer but then you'll get sorted straight away. I'm pretty sure ZAPPI is going through BETA testing as we speak. I've been involved with trials late last year with ZAPPI.

To be honest, give em a call, you have to wait a few minutes for them to answer but then you'll get sorted straight away. I'm pretty sure ZAPPI is going through BETA testing as we speak. I've been involved with trials late last year with ZAPPI.
I’ll possibly try to ring them tomorrow but it might be in the afternoon. Will be emptying the existing car out and tidying it up ready for the swap over on Friday.

Hi
Any of you guys on the Octopus Intelligent Tariff with your MG4 EV ? I was told my MG4 EV is not qualified , would appreciate your feed back please , I was told a few week ago my MG4 EV is qualified and today they are saying its not .
Regards
Sully111
That sounds ridiculous to me! Electric is electric! Hmmpf

I’ll possibly try to ring them tomorrow but it might be in the afternoon. Will be emptying the existing car out and tidying it up ready for the swap over on Friday.
Excellent!

Octopus are going down In my estimation as I recently learnt they are using AI for customer services.

I wanted to go on octopus intelligent to get the 6 hours of cheap leccy. I knew they couldn’t connect to the MG so opted for an Ohme Pro. Set up was very simple and the car, the charger and octopus all work well in tandem. If you set the car to only charge to 80% (as mine is the trophy) and tell the ohme to charge to any high amount, then the car stops charging at 80%. I only called octopus once to enquire about MG, they answered quickly but could only tell me that it was on the roadmap, but roadmaps can go on for years.

There ought to be some update that was what he was saying in February in that tweet
And maybe if someone asks the question again on twitter there would be.

Government needs to bang heads together to ensure all the equipment talks to all of the cars and vice versa. Unless made to ensure this, manufacturers will continue to short change the consumer
Thats a bit unfair on the likes of Octopus energy who are pushing ahead to make their smart tariffs work with a large number of vehicles and wallboxes. Octopus are trying to make their really cheap tariffs available to a large number of users and their pricing from what I've seen is the most competitive in the industry.

That sounds ridiculous to me! Electric is electric! Hmmpf
It's not about electric, it's about control. Octopus are having to develop software to take control of EV's to start and stop charging under their control. Each car manufacturer has different protocols. The car manufacturers need to get together and create a common universal protocol that they all adhere to.

Octopus are going down In my estimation as I recently learnt they are using AI for customer services.
And why would that be a bad thing? AI can get you the answers or help you need efficiently and quickly, what's the problem?

As far as I am aware MG will not release or allow access to the API so it could well be that the car will never be on IO.

There was a later tweet from Zappi saying that it would be 'summer' when they were integrated into IO but don't hold your breath.

Hi
Regards
Sully111
It’s not qualified as yet so the only option is Octopus Go. Which I have managed to start that process after some faffing around. Although the Zappi home charger was supposedly coming on line in May to use Intelligent Octopus according to Greg it has not yet.

Hi
Regards
Sully111

I am on Intelligent Octopus and it works well on the MG4 if you have an Ohme charger. The state of charge is not visible to Intelligent Octopus due to MG not releasing the API as others have noted. All I have to do though is select how much charge I want eg 60% and a it adds this in off peak time if possible.

As an aside, I asked Octopus Energy about how their EV tariffs affect Economy 7. They got back to me quickly with the reply below.

Hi,

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding the Octopus special EV charging rates and how they affect Economy 7.

The Octopus special EV charging rates are separate from Economy 7 rates and are designed specifically for electric vehicle charging. These rates are available to all Octopus Energy customers who have an electric vehicle and a smart meter.

Economy 7 rates, on the other hand, are designed to provide cheaper electricity during off-peak hours for customers who have electric storage heaters or hot water tanks that can be charged overnight.

If you have both an electric vehicle and electric storage heaters or hot water tanks, you may be able to take advantage of both the Octopus special EV charging rates and Economy 7 rates. However, it's important to note that the two rates are separate and will not affect each other.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Octopus

open

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video