Hi, I have a ZS EV 72reg , thinking about fitting spacers on the wheels . Think it might look better, is it advisable?

Jonk

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi, I have a MG ZS EV, thinking of fitting spacers on the wheels. Think it might look better, is it advisable?

Spacers place skew forces on the wheel bearings that they weren't designed for.

Have had 15mm spacers all round for almost 3years now. The wheels do look better, just need to make sure they are the correct type, hubcentric. There is a big industry producing them, they would not be if they were unsafe. It is no different than changing the wheel to one with a more negative offset. IMHO.

Running a negative offset will put more strain on bearings it is normal recommended to upgrade bearing

It is no different than changing the wheel to one with a more negative offset.
This is very true of course, but we have to remember that wheel spacers or different road wheels / rims that have a different off set, can be viewed as none standard OEM equipment and could invalidate the warranty.
Would the dealer pick up on this issue at the time of servicing ?.
Very unlikely to be totally honest.
But let's just say for a minute, that you had a noisy wheel bearing and you wanted replacing under warranty ?.
Would the bearing be replaced FOC under warranty and the dealer totally disregard the fact that you had installed after market wheel spacers / non standard off set wheels fitted to the car, that could have contributed to the premature failure of the wheel bearing ?.
If the failure of the bearing was regarded as "Fair wear and Tear" anyway and is therefore considered a chargeable fee to the customer, then your paying regardless of the blame / cause I guess.
Strictly speaking, wheel spacer / after market rims etc all fall into the "Modifications" category.
With regards to both warranty / insurance violations ( if not declared ).
Deviating away from the factory spec's is of no major importance, UNLESS something goes badly wrong and you need to make a substantial warranty claim.
In this situation, you are just offering up a big stick to get beaten with really !.
Trust me, I have seen warranty claims rejected for similar reasons.

Please excuse my ignorance but what are spacers?
They push the wheels further out in the arches in the bizarre belief it improves the appearance, and in the process makes the wheels easier to kerb.

You would also need to advise your insurance of the modification for which they may (or not) charge an additional premium

Another thing to remember is that the MG is normally left hand drive and the right hand drive may not be quite as well designed. There have been some minor issues with the steering so I would not be pushing the envelope.

They push the wheels further out in the arches in the bizarre belief it improves the appearance, and in the process makes the wheels easier to kerb.
I am interested to hear your rationale as to how adding spacers makes the wheels easier to kerb? I agree with your opinion on the perceived aesthetic gain which like you I do not think it would improve the look of the vehicle, wheels are too small for it to make a difference imo, but I don't understand how it would make the wheels easier to kerb, you aren't changing the tyres to low profile ones which would make kerbing more susceptible

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom