Hidden dashcam (with instrctions)

dprager

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Today I installed my new dashcam and wanted to show it of to you guys and girls. I really dislike dashcams that are mounted on the window or are visible from the interior. It blocks my view and I hate ugly cables coming from or to the dashcam so, I’ve hidden it. Without having to drill a single hole in any part of the car.

I designed two 3d printable pieces. An interior piece that is mounted above the mirror and a grill piece (radiator plate) that of course is mounted in the grill. Because one of the dashcams is outside I used a waterproof motorcycle dashcam that can be mounted in the 3d printed pieces. If you like to do this yourself I included the STL files in this post and what cam I used, the end result and the first stupid person I encountered driving.

So let me know what you think of my little project.

Instructions:

If you have a 3d printer you can print these pieces yourself using ABS filament. You will need a pretty good 3d printer for that. If you don’t have one you can upload the STL files to a online 3d printshop. I ordered mine online for only 26 Euro’s. Make sure to use 100% infill for the radiator plate. Do not use PLA filament as the temperature in the car can get pretty high making the 3d printed item to soft.

The interior piece only needs some sanding and is then ready to be mounted. The Radiator plate does need some touching up (a lot of sanding) to make it fit. It was impossible for me to measure it out exactly to the grill hole that I wanted to use. But in about 4 hours you should be able to make it fit perfectly. Once it fits, apply two screws with O-rings behind the radiator plate so that it clamps it to the grill.

The ZS forum does not allow STL files to be added to you can download then from my gdrive

3d_prints – Google Drive

Amazon product ASIN B07QB6Q3C5
If you have any questions, let me know!

Attachments

• 20210905_153322.jpg
    20210905_153322.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 292
  • 20210905_153253.jpg
    20210905_153253.jpg
    837.3 KB · Views: 296
  • 20210905_153249.jpg
    20210905_153249.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 295
You’re going to have problems with dirt and rain - the wipers won‘t help you with the one in the grille! Nice idea though.

You’re going to have problems with dirt and rain - the wipers won‘t help you with the one in the grille! Nice idea though.
Yes,, and no, I also have the same cam on my motorbike. It performs in the rain but sometimes images do get a bit blurry on parts of the recordings not enough not to be able make out what happened during an accident.

I'll add another video when it rains. So we'll see how it goes. You have a valid point though.

Thanks. I use a drift ghost cam on my motorbike helmet and that works ok - but you are much higher up from the road on a bike than the grille on a car.

An alternative view is that I do like a dashcam to be visible, as a deterrent. Whether it is or not is debatable.

My dashcam is mounted beside the mirror and is barely noticeable from outside the car. No road dirt can hit the lens. The cable is easily hidden along the roof lining and door seal.
Screenshot_2021-09-06-11-38-26-416_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

An alternative view is that I do like a dashcam to be visible, as a deterrent. Whether it is or not is debatable.
Along with the warning sticker on the rear window for tailgaters. (y) :sneaky:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom