High daily mileage

I agree totally. MG are confident enough to offer a 7 year warranty on a battery that it assumes will be given a really hard life. Any owner that shows even a hint of sympathy for it will be into double that. Around 25 years seems to be the current estimate for a liquid cooled pack in a temperate climate. The bodywork is almost certainly going to rot out from under you before the battery is on it's last legs.
Only 60k if your a taxi driver tho about 2yrs warrenty

Not sure if mg that confident

Attachments

• 7A2FE3EE-E363-4136-A649-7CD2CE8F563D.jpeg
    7A2FE3EE-E363-4136-A649-7CD2CE8F563D.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 134
My experience so far has been a most unhappy one - I'll leave it at that until later this week.
We wait with baited breath Chestnut2000!

At the moment, my thoughts on the subject of battery life are that it is going to be very difficult to contest the battery charge with the manufacturer/dealer. Until someone evidences otherwise I am working on the assumption that every time the battery is charged to "full" it is going to state that the charge level is 100%, regardless of how many kWhr are in the battery. In this case "full" simply means no more charge will go into it. If someone has a vehicle that will only charge to a lesser displayed value (e.g.99% or less) I would be very interested to hear of it. Or hopefully someone out there will be able to tell me that there actually is a way to deduce the capacity of a battery. I don't believe that measuring the current into it during charging will be sufficient although it will clearly give an indication.

So to cut a long story short IF there is no way of knowing the total charge contained in the battery, then the only way of knowing or measuring that its performance (charge capacity) is reduced is either by depleting the battery through a known load, or, more or less the same thing, measuring the range of the vehicle (ideally under known conditions). This is obviously where the warranty claim difficulty will arise. You go to the dealer and say the car is showing 100% charge but is now only achieving 150miles on a full charge. How does that situation resolve itself. How fast do you drive, sir. Do you use KERS 1,2 or 3. etc etc

As I have said before I'm not pessimistic about battery life, but I can't see too many successful warranty claims being made when the need does genuinely arise. But manufacturers may have an independent way of assessing battery charge (like depleting it through a load)??

I think there will be a direct relationship between SOH & the pack voltage at full charge over time.
If I recall correctly the fully charged pack voltage is 449 if the latest BMS software is installed.
I’ll do some further reading about SOH.

On the ZS the SOC can be read with the app (see the ZS forum). Mine shows 97% on the app when it's 100% charged and balanced, so it only realistically has a 3% buffer.
In the event of a claim, I think MG will go on the battery state of health (SOH) rather than the range, but I'm not sure how that is worked out, mine still shows 100% SOH on the app after 1 year. FWIW I have the old BMS 456v at full charge.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom