Highest Displayed Range

edwardrobert

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So, when I charged my ZS EV SE Long Range up to 100% last weekend, (I don't do this too often but the day rate on Octopus Tracker was very low so thought I'd take advantage) my displayed range once fully charged was 347 miles in Eco mode. I have been driving pretty economically but this is was way above advertised range (273) and wondered if anyone else had similar or even higher displayed ranges? I've been done about 70 miles since (short local journeys only), and it's pretty much coming down mile for mile, so am really happy with it.

333 is the best my GOM has shown.
Average miles per kiloWatt hour is 4.1, over 3,336 miles.
The usable battery of the ZS Trophy LR is 68.3 kWh, so my average range works out to 280 miles, which has been pretty accurate so far.

I am getting a GOM of about 185 miles on my Mk1 at the moment.
But I know that's only 165 really, and even less if I'm rash enough to use aircon.

Highest I have seen is 349 miles on 100% but yeah obviously never going to get that.

Attachments

• 20230702_210549.jpg
    20230702_210549.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 89
So, when I charged my ZS EV SE Long Range up to 100% last weekend, (I don't do this too often but the day rate on Octopus Tracker was very low so thought I'd take advantage) my displayed range once fully charged was 347 miles in Eco mode. I have been driving pretty economically but this is was way above advertised range (273) and wondered if anyone else had similar or even higher displayed ranges? I've been done about 70 miles since (short local journeys only), and it's pretty much coming down mile for mile, so am really happy with it.
As others have already said 347 miles is a “Predicted” range based on historical range that the car has stored, and is based on many different factors.
If you attempted a new one off journey of 347 based on this figure, you would fall a LONG way short of the target.
Of course this would not happen in reality really, because as you continued on your trip new journey ( based on the 347 figure ) the car would self correct the predicted range and the once 347 would reduce as it learns what is going on .
If you was to reset both of your trips now, then instantly see the range disappear before your very eyes 👀.
I have always fallen into the category of people who choose to “Rest your trips” on a fairly regular basis.
Not everybody adopts this habit, which is absolutely fine.
There is no right or wrong way here, it’s personal choice.
Of course it’s nice looking at all of that over inflated predicted range, but it’s clearly not achievable as we all understand, so why even bother ?.
The GOM is like a crystal ball 🔮 stuck on the top of the dash board.
A bit of a “This what you could have won” type scenario 🤣.

I've never really understood the resetting of the trip counter. All you get is the factory default set under laboratory conditions, whereas leaving the trip counter alone gives an estimation based in real world conditions, determined by your driving style, which I think is much more useful. :)

I've never really understood the resetting of the trip counter. All you get is the factory default set under laboratory conditions, whereas leaving the trip counter alone gives an estimation based in real world conditions, determined by your driving style, which I think is much more useful. :)
This is very true, however like I said above, some new EV adopters COULD be fooled into believing that the inflated figure ( in this case was 347 ) was in some way a REALLY achievable / actual range.
Which I have to agree could be doable in some respects, maybe 🤔.
However, here is the big BUT, only IF you could 100% replicate every single aspect of the trips used, to comply / formulate that over inflated / predicted range, displayed on the GOM.
To reach that high figure of 347 miles, the car could have been conducting a lot of small slow speed town trips in ideal weather conditions, no HVAC used and over a number of weeks, even months.
Here is the danger point.
A new EV owner then bases a brand new long trip, done in poor weather conditions, with the HVAC in use, on that 347 prediction.
Almost viewing it as a piggy bank of saved up range / mileage that he / she has earned for driving more economical in the past few weeks or months.
Placing 100% total faith in that GOM read out.
Almost treating like the petrol fuel gauge they had in the fossil cars they owned for years.
Adopting the theory that when the petrol gauge states full, then the tank is full - right ???.
Same principle on a EV then ?.
Sorry - That will be a NO then in this case.
Your GOM is reading “over full”
if you get my meaning.
You would doubt this in a petrol car, so the same should apply in an EV.
If you had a 12 gallon tank and the gauge reported 14 gallons, do you actually have 14 gallons, of course not.
The more seasoned EV use is fully aware that this 347 is an impossible target to actually achieve and plans in some charging stops on route before setting off.
On the other hand, the new EV owner innocently sets off in full belief he / she will make the long trip in a single charge and makes no plans to stop, given the over inflated range.
This is where the danger arises, that is ALL I am trying to say here.
If as a new EV owner, you reset the trips, then this provides an instant reminder of what is MORE likely achievable.
Not 100% accurate of course, but just a little closer to a figure that is not going to catch you out looking for the charger you never thought you needed at the start ???.
Experienced EV owners have a better understanding of what the car is ACTUALLY capable of achieving ( regardless of the GOM ) on a long distance trip.
Starting with a factory base line, I find it easier to check my driving efficiency against my current driving style and find it easier to monitor my efficiency set against the target destination.
What ever method you find works best for your usage case, is absolutely perfect 👍.
My concerns are offering caution towards once long time ICE owners, who are now making the move across to EV motoring.
Assume nothing and expect anything.
When covering trips outbound and inbound from home that can not be achieved comfortably on one single full charge within the TRUE full range / capacity of your battery pack.
Especially if you are going to really believe the over inflated range reported by the GOM and proceed onwards.
Then you better have a charging back up plan firmly in place.

Hi.how old is your MGZS EV and what is the miles/klm

But it’s also true that if you are used to tearing along the motorway, with heater/air con blasting away, your GOM would suggest quite a low figure, as it’s based on the driving style.

Resetting the trip meter in this scenario would then show a higher number of miles ‘in the tank’, which would not be achievable by the speedy driver.

On longer journeys I do several things

1. Look at the GOM ( I never reset it ).
2. Knowing the distance I am going to be traveling. I see how far I have travelled after 10%, 20% etc.
3. Monitor the mile's per khw on the current trip and mentally calcukate how many miles I will have left. I base that on 70kwh useable ( for ease of mental calculation) and then knock a little bit off of predicted miles range.
4. Take account of the geography ahead.

Whether I charge or not depends on my destination. If I know I have a guaranteed chargpoint eg arriving home or decent safe plug for the granny (eg at my folks ) I am fine letting it get lower eg down to 10% ( I did get back on 7% once but I knew I would make it ). If I have a journey of say 300 miles in one go (any more and I'd always stay overnight somewhere) I'd follow the rule of always be charging, whenever I stopped for breaks ( charger availability notwithstanding).

I think my highest range has been 330 miles and my highest miles per kwh on the trip monitor was 14! ( downhill at 20 mph on a steep hill on a hot day, when I d used the car earlier in the day , so the battery would have been nicely warmed up). I only managed to get a photo ( once parked up) at 9 m per Kwh though.

Last edited:
On longer journeys I do several things

1. Look at the GOM ( I never reset it ).
2. Knowing the distance I am going to be traveling. I see how far I have travelled after 10%, 20% etc.
3. Monitor the mile's per khw on the current trip and mentally calcukate how many miles I will have left. I base that on 70kwh useable ( for ease of mental calculation) and then knock a little bit off of predicted miles range.
4. Take account of the geography ahead.

Whether I charge or not depends on my destination. If I know I have a guaranteed chargpoint eg arriving home or decent safe plug for the granny (eg at my folks ) I am fine letting it get lower eg down to 10% ( I did get back on 7% once but I knew I would make it ). If I have a journey of say 300 miles in one go (any more and I'd always stay overnight somewhere) I'd follow the rule of always be charging, whenever I stopped for breaks ( charger availability notwithstanding).

I think my highest range has been 330 miles and my highest miles per kwh on the trip monitor was 14! ( downhill at 20 mph on a steep hill on a hot day, when I d used the car earlier in the day , so the battery would have been nicely warmed up). I only managed to get a photo ( once parked up) at 9 m per Kwh though.
That's how I do it, subtract sat-nav range from GOM range and if it's positive, I don't worry. :)

My average range is 260miles for 1500 miles of driving including 500 miles on motorway. It is calculated based on 3.8mls/kWh efficiency times 68.3kWh usable battery capacity.

My highest calculated range is 379miles. This is based 5.5 mls/kWh commuting to office and 5.6 mls/kWh commuting back home on same day last week. The value exceeded 370miles city range on MG spec.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230723_153321.jpg
    Screenshot_20230723_153321.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 73
I charged my ZS trophy LR to 100% for the first time just for the GOM reading. It is 351 miles in normal mode. I never drove in ECO mode. I still took a ECO mode reading as 368 miles.

I think the reading is based on my careful driving style for 2200 miles in 6 months. My average miles per kWh is increased to 4.0. Summer air con power consumption is much less than winter heating in March.

IMG_20230916_084809.jpg
IMG_20230916_084833.jpg

351 miles is around 5 m/kwh for LR I think?

I think it would be more than just 'careful' driving to get that in reality e.g. cruising at low speeds without many hills etc.

351 miles is around 5 m/kwh for LR I think?

I think it would be more than just 'careful' driving to get that in reality e.g. cruising at low speeds without many hills etc.
My short shopping trip is with less than 4mls/kWh. All 5mls/kWh or above are achieved on 10 miles commuting with slow moving traffic. I think the key is regen control on slowing down.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom