Highest GOM - just for fun ;)

Tommy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Can anyone beat this ... ? I know it won't give me 300+ miles, but made me smile ... Pre FL MG5 (LR)

:)

GOM-312.jpeg

I'm normally around that figure ,give or take a mile or two . Best predicted range was 332 miles . I won't take a picture of my present estimate because I've reset the monthly figure and it takes a few hundred miles to climb to the 300 mile figure :)

Has anybody ever actually managed 250+ real world miles from one charge?
No, but I did get 5.3kWh showing on the dash the other day and that included some M'way driving, so in theory that would have been possible!

No, but I did get 5.3kWh showing on the dash the other day and that included some M'way driving, so in theory that would have been possible!
Oops, I meant m/kWh...

I wonder why MG advertise 300+ miles on their website with the new MG5 SE, just asking for complaints
It all depends on driving style , type of roads driven and weather etc. They may get complaints but actionable ones ...less so . 300 miles is definitely achievable in the Long Range version

It all depends on driving style , type of roads driven and weather etc. They may get complaints but actionable ones ...less so . 300 miles is definitely achievable in the Long Range version
Oh so you have achieved 250+ miles from a single charge? I’ve not picked up my LR 5 yet so I’m just trying to understand the limitations of the mileage. I’m aiming for 200 miles from a single charge

Oh so you have achieved 250+ miles from a single charge? I’ve not picked up my LR 5 yet so I’m just trying to understand the limitations of the mileage. I’m aiming for 200 miles from a single charge
200 from LR should be fine though there are, of course, many variables involved, outside temperature being one of the most significant. It's very much on our side at the moment but be prepared for that to change as it gets colder where 200 might be tighter for you. The dash shows a historical economy and I've got that showing at 3.9 (SR preFL) which includes last winter so probably a reasonable average overall

To be honest , I've rarely let my battery run below 40% . Maybe I'm chickens*&t or maybe I'm just being wise :) . I have seen over 200 miles on the GOM at 66% SOC , having already travelled approximately 100 miles . I don't rely on the GOM too much ,I look at my average battery consumption which has been between 4.8 to 4.9 miles per KwH . The actual usable battery size is 57.4 Kw ,I believe . So based on that figure 4.8 x57.4 = 275.52 miles, 4.9 x 57.4= 281.26 miles . The relatively poor summer meant I was unable to hit the 5KwH per mile mark .
As I said in my previous post it is dependant on many other factors but achievable

I pick up my 5 soon, can’t wait. I have a 200 mile round trip to see a friend booked in for end of September. I feel like I might try my luck see if I can do it on one charge.. what’s the worst that can happen? lol

I've got a 200 mile trip to Manchester Airport today probably could make it in one go , but I'll be topping up along the way . The consumption will mostly take a hit on the motorway so Super Chicken will come out again :)

I've got a 200 mile trip to Manchester Airport today probably could make it in one go , but I'll be topping up along the way . The consumption will mostly take a hit on the motorway so Super Chicken will come out again :)
Haha. Well good luck.
I’ll be avoiding motorways taking a lower mileage route which is a combination of A/B roads and villages. Lots of stop starting and changing speed.

I pick up my 5 soon, can’t wait. I have a 200 mile round trip to see a friend booked in for end of September. I feel like I might try my luck see if I can do it on one charge.. what’s the worst that can happen? lol
Motorway at 70mph will shorten range. I generally set ACC at about 65-68 and range is around 200-225 miles. If weather warm it is more e.g. one trip in temps over 20 stopped to charge after 155 miles, still had 34% SOC. Recent trip home 215 miles arrived with SOC 11%. Both instances had AC on all the way.
In winter with heater on range will be considerably less. AC uses little power, with a full tank it takes about 10 miles off the GOM but at the end of journey when you switch it off it gives you some back. :)
Here in Leeds, wherever I want to go 'long distance' there's no choice but motorway.

Motorway at 70mph will shorten range. I generally set ACC at about 65-68 and range is around 200-225 miles. If weather warm it is more e.g. one trip in temps over 20 stopped to charge after 155 miles, still had 34% SOC. Recent trip home 215 miles arrived with SOC 11%. Both instances had AC on all the way.
In winter with heater on range will be considerably less. AC uses little power, with a full tank it takes about 10 miles off the GOM but at the end of journey when you switch it off it gives you some back. :)
Here in Leeds, wherever I want to go 'long distance' there's no choice but motorway.
I normally set motorway speed to 60 ish ( if you can achieve that around Brum ;) ) . Flight's not until tomorrow so there's no rush

I normally set motorway speed to 60 ish ( if you can achieve that around Brum ;) ) . Flight's not until tomorrow so there's no rush
As you say there are always slow parts on the M'ways which helps. I find 65mph very relaxing, fast enough to pass lorries and not much slower than everyone else.

We flew out of Manchester last month and used the Drop and Go parking (not meet and greet) and how good was that. Will deffo be using that again.

Has anybody ever actually managed 250+ real world miles from one charge?
MG5 SR pre facelift with datasheet max of 217 miles range. After a ~ 190 mile trip, done on a single charge, the total of miles done plus GOM predicted miles left was 240. I've achieved similar values on other comparable runs. Well happy.

Just arrived at the airport. My first stop was Frankley services at 58%SOC after 117 miles for a comfort break . Took advantage of a top up to 81% seeing as I was there and an Ioniq had just left the one and only charging point . Drove the remaining 80 mile th Manchester arrived with 57% SOC . Overall consumption was 4.9miles/KwH . So I would say over 250 miles is definitely possible

I’ve got 4.8 mkWh long-term average so 250m on single charge is certainly doable (at this time of year), just never actually done that long a journey with a guaranteed charge point at the destination. I always chicken out and charge once it gets down to the red (25% remaining) 🙂

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom