Highlands new charge rates.

5teep

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Heard today that Highland council's new charge rate will be.....75p per kwh :cry:

/edit/ not set in stone, this is the BBC doing what they do, posting clickbait.

If it was a reliable network with multiple rapids at various sites I wouldn't have a problem with them charging a rate similar to reliable competitors. Sadly chargeplace Scotland does not tick those boxes. Hopefully one benefit it might bring is encouraging some of the bigger charging networks to invest in areas not previously worthwhile due to heavily subsidized chargers.

It's a classic unfair business practice, use a subsidised price to prevent any competition then jack up the prices. If I was a potential competitor I'd be concerned that if I could compete at the current price there's nothing to prevent them lowering the price again to drive me out.

It's a classic unfair business practice, use a subsidised price to prevent any competition then jack up the prices. If I was a potential competitor I'd be concerned that if I could compete at the current price there's nothing to prevent them lowering the price again to drive me out.

Prices used to be subsidised by Scotgov but they can no longer afford to do that so Councils have to come up with their own solutions.
At the current rate of 30p the council reckon they will lose a quarter of a million a year. The original proposal said 65p was break even, 85p to allow them to upgrade their charger network. Highland council were one of the first to take up the EV idea and have a lot of very old chargers now.

Last edited:
For info Rates in Highland went up on the 1st of March

Rapid - 70p per kwh
Fast 35p per kwh

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom