Highway range

fatherGIGA

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi,

my girlfriend is very interested in the MG4. What consumption does it have at highway speed, like 110 km/h (70 mph) and 130 km/h (80 mph) ?

Thanks!
Andrea

I did 70 mph yesterday from dealer to work, on adaptive cruise control and I was hanging around (ie not driving economically) and it returned 3.2 m/kWh.
With a 51kWh battery (I have the standard range) that would equate to 163 miles

Hope that helps, the weather was dry and it not particularly windy

Electric cars lose a lot of efficiency at higher speeds, so most will see a big difference between 65-80.

But the great thing about 65 is no more thinking about speed cameras or traps!
Agreed and to add, when I set off this morning, it was extremely windy. plus I had to have the blowers on to keep the windscreen from misting up (I do think the Rain ex helped BTW) and the blowers only went on for 3 or four miles about 4 times during a 30 mile A1 trip.

with all this above, I felt I lost a lot of range. Started off at 165 mile range, did 30 miles on the A1 and range went down to 112. My speed was an average of around 68 mph.

When I go it to the town driving, I clawed back about ten miles (ie when I got to a 100 mile range, I had actually undertook 43 miles from an indicated 65).

when I came back home (following free charge) the milegae V range was pretty mush spot on.

so morning was 2.9 and afternoon was 3.9 KWh

I hope this both makes sense and is of help 😁

Electric cars lose a lot of efficiency at higher speeds, so most will see a big difference between 65-80.

But the great thing about 65 is no more thinking about speed cameras or traps!
Yep. The problem is I get 3.4 m/Kwh at 75 mph with the model Y, but it costs at least twice as much so I also have to put things in perspective

This was efficiency at 60mph for the most part. Return trip from Burton to Enfield
6D319560-F05F-4C38-B87A-C7E0E685A013.jpeg

Yep. The problem is I get 3.4 m/Kwh at 75 mph with the model Y, but it costs at least twice as much so I also have to put things in perspective
Teslas are a step ahead on efficiency but as you say, not price competitive. If they do ever launch a £25,000 car, that would be extremely interesting!

Any one compared to an MG5? I was thinking of changing but was hoping for better economy, 70mph is around 3.4 on most motorways, had thought the MG4 would be lighter and lower so might beat that but seems not? Hopefully test drive on a road I know will soon to see for myself, everyone drives differently so hard to tell.

Also depends on what utilities you have running - like AC, heated seats/steering wheel (if on that model) etc. and for how long.

Teslas are a step ahead on efficiency but as you say, not price competitive. If they do ever launch a £25,000 car, that would be extremely interesting!
I remember when Tesla 3 was announced - saying it was a $25,000 car - that turned out to be a blatant lie.

A simple question, a very complicated one to answer!

Key hits on range are: -

1 - Cold weather, especially below 10C. Winter range can be 3/4 of summer or less!
2 - Over 100 km/h range starts dropping off fast but
3 - Short trips hit range due to the need to heat the car / battery etc so longer trips are good.
4 - Driving at 100% battery prevents regen so hits range until you are below 95%
5 - Racing away / heavy right foot

I have done some very long drives at 60/65/70/75/80 mph and yes range drops off as you get faster BUT as the battery warms up through hot weather / fast driving the range seems to increase again. This allowed me to get the same range at 75mph in 40C crossing Spain after a few Rapids as at 60 mph on the 1st leg in France with cooler weather, 21C I think.

If you do a trip regularly, you will soon learn the percentage used each way & what speed & temperature. If your battery is dropping faster than you need you slow down, if you have plenty spare you can speed up a bit. I did 65mph on a long leg with unreliable chargers but 75/80mph when they were plentiful & ultra rapids. A cold battery will only charge at around 40-45 kwh but a hot one (on my MG5) charged at 92 kwh. The same will apply on any car battery, which is why Tesla pre-heat theirs when the destination is set as a supercharger to aid faster charging.

No easy answer other than you need to learn the changed parameters you work with compared to an ICE. EG - An ICE soon runs out of juice in a traffic jam whereas an EV doesn't, it can last a day or 2.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back