Hill/handbrake assist. Is there any point in the electric handbrake button?

It's worth noting that the EPC is also the emergency brake - holding it up will apply the handbrake.. well at least it does on other MG models. The being said, dual hydraulic brake system failure is extremely rare.

Edit, just checked the MG4 manual, it does say this on page 192
1690992434068.png

It's worth noting that the EPC is also the emergency brake - holding it up will apply the handbrake.. well at least it does on other MG models. The being said, dual hydraulic brake system failure is extremely rare.

Edit, just checked the MG4 manual, it does say this on page 192
View attachment 19386

That's a good point. I remember reading that.

So pressing the bottom turns it on, pulling up releases it even though you have foot down on the break?
Other way round - pulling up on the lever (button) applies the handbrake; pressing down (whilst you also have your foot on the foot brake) releases the handbrake.

Still waiting for MG4 delivery, but most EVs I've driven the Auto-Hold only applies the brakes (generally it's a temporary thing like a hill start or traffic lights), but not the mechanical handbrake to lock rear wheels. In the Audi E-tron you can clearly hear the application of the mechanical handbrake when moving pulling the switch when arriving home/work etc and about the leave the vehicle.

I find the parking brake lever useful for stopping in traffic because it doesn't put the brake lights on.
Auto hold puts the brake lights on.
Hill start assist only holds for 2 seconds.

I'm surprised anyone worries about brake lights being on when a car is stopped in traffic. It's not something that has either worried me or even crossed my mind in over 50 years of driving. I can get positively homicidal if I have to follow someone with a rear fog light on when it's not foggy, but brake lights on a stopped car seem normal and benign.

Well I don’t know if I am different to anyone else but I only use the hand brake when I’m finished driving and properly parked up. If I am parked in the garage the next journey after getting the car into ready mode turning the Lane Keep Assist and Emergency Brake to alert only. My next task is foot on the brake turn dial to R move foot to accelerator pedal slight feather and I start reversing I don’t touch the handbrake at all to move that releases itself.

Once I am down the drive I press my foot brake move dial to D and off we go. I then don’t use the hand brake I just use Auto Hold till journey completed then I will use the hand brake.

Last edited:
I'm surprised anyone worries about brake lights being on when a car is stopped in traffic. It's not something that has either worried me or even crossed my mind in over 50 years of driving. I can get positively homicidal if I have to follow someone with a rear fog light on when it's not foggy, but brake lights on a stopped car seem normal and benign.
Over 50 yeaars of driving and I am the opposite. Told to apply the handbrake when stopped at lights and do not like the car in front sitting with their foot on the brake. Use P on my automatic. Son was taught to drive with his foot on the brake and clutch at traffic lights as the law only states you have to have your brakes applied. Got a surprise last night when the handbrake light alarm went on but it was because the dog lead had got tangled in it and been pulled slightly. Having moved to live in Cambs there is no such thing as a hill so hand brake never applied.

The auto brake function turns the handbrake on after you've been stationary for 10 mins or so. The handbrake switch is then needed to disengage the brakes and drive off.

The auto brake function turns the handbrake on after you've been stationary for 10 mins or so. The handbrake switch is then needed to disengage the brakes and drive off.
I don’t need to touch the handbrake to set off using the procedure I have explained earlier.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back