Holiday Charging

SteveP

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all, I have a question regarding charging, we own a static caravan on the east coast we live in Liverpool door to door 270 miles I’m not worried about charging on the journey my question is does anybody have an idea as to wether it would be possible to plug the car in to the caravan electric supply? We have all the mod cons as in microwave, electric kettle, electric oil filled radiators etc.
Thanks

When I had a caravan the supply was rated at 16 amps, the granny charger draws 10 amps so unless you use the toaster, oven etc at the same time I can't see any problems.
The only issue would be the site owner as he may not want an ev plugged in constantly unless you pay for your own electricity?

When I had a caravan the supply was rated at 16 amps, the granny charger draws 10 amps so unless you use the toaster, oven etc at the same time I can't see any problems.
The only issue would be the site owner as he may not want an ev plugged in constantly unless you pay for your own electricity?
We pay our own electricity I had a feeling it would be ok to plug it in I guess I just needed a little reassurance thanks

We pay our own electricity I had a feeling it would be ok to plug it in I guess I just needed a little reassurance thanks
A few weeks ago, we paid a day trip visit to my son who was staying in a new static caravan in Harlech a few weeks ago.
The charging infrastructure in that location is very poor.
So, I was able to pull a charge from the 3 pin plug in the caravan, by use of the "Granny" unit.
Making sure there was no high load items being used at the same time of course, just to be safe.
The caravan / hard standing was very new and therefore the electrical system / supply was bang up to date.
I would depend on the age of the electrical system supplying the caravan.
You would not be popular if you tripped the breaker if they where linked to another caravan !.
I think you would be fine, but check out the the electrics first !.

A few weeks ago, we paid a day trip visit to my son who was staying in a new static caravan in Harlech a few weeks ago.
The charging infrastructure in that location is very poor.
So, I was able to pull a charge from the 3 pin plug in the caravan, by use of the "Granny" unit.
Making sure there was no high load items being used at the same time of course, just to be safe.
The caravan / hard standing was very new and therefore the electrical system / supply was bang up to date.
I would depend on the age of the electrical system supplying the caravan.
You would not be popular if you tripped the breaker if they where linked to another caravan !.
I think you would be fine, but check out the the electrics first !.
Yeah we are a relatively new site also our electrics are bang up to date thanks for the information

Yeah we are a relatively new site also our electrics are bang up to date thanks for the information
You will probably need a suitable rated / water proof extension lead.
I made up my own lead a couple of days before we traveled.
There was a outlet in the back corner bedroom, I ran the cable through the window in safe route back to the car.
The side entrance door was closer, but I did not want cables running close the steps / fracking area.
If you HAVE to use an extension lead, make sure it is fully unwound and keep a check for excessive heat at the three pin plug.
When the car has been on for a while, it is normal for the three pin plug to get warm, but not crazy hot 🥵!.
I used the best M.K. plug I could find and after just under two hours, the live side of the top of the plug was warm to the touch.
No heat present where the “Granny” plugged into the extension.

You will probably need a suitable rated / water proof extension lead.
I made up my own lead a couple of days before we traveled.
There was a outlet in the back corner bedroom, I ran the cable through the window in safe route back to the car.
The side entrance door was closer, but I did not want cables running close the steps / fracking area.
If you HAVE to use an extension lead, make sure it is fully unwound and keep a check for excessive heat at the three pin plug.
When the car has been on for a while, it is normal for the three pin plug to get warm, but not crazy hot 🥵!.
I used the best M.K. plug I could find and after just under two hours, the live side of the top of the plug was warm to the touch.
No heat present where the “Granny” plugged into the extension.
What cable and plugs did you use?

What cable and plugs did you use?
I already had half a reel of three core round 2.5mm round flex in my garage.
I used a single ( to save on space ) weather proof outdoor socket outlet from Screwfix.
Because they sell more of the double type, the single outlet is a similar price.
I just wanted to keep the size down to a minimum.

I terminated the cable with a suitable weather proof gland at the socket outlet.
I used a M.K. three pin plug with a 13 amp fused installed of course.
You can get away with using a 1.5mm cable ( but no smaller ) and 2.5mm could be seen as being a “Bit Over The Top”.
But I had it already and will have handle the load with ease.
Of course, you have to be comfortable doing this type of work.
I also have a boot ferule kit that allowed me to terminate the single conductors correctly at the socket outlet, because the round flex / cable is of the multi strand copper type.
The ferule kit is not essential, and not totally necessary, it just makes a better job really.
The only issue I had, was because the three pin plug on the “Granny” is a little baulky, I had to trim the enclosure slightly in order to get the weather proof lid to close and seal correctly.
Looks a bit like like this !.

B5739D5A-2C14-4987-95AD-EEE22C01A435.jpeg

Last edited:
I used a single ( to save on space ) weather proof outdoor socket outlet from Screwfix.
Because they sell more of the double type, the single outlet is a similar price.

I terminated the cable with a suitable weather proof gland at the socket outlet.
You can get away with using a 1.5mm cable ( but no smaller ) and 2.5mm could be seen as being a “Bit Over The Top”.
I also have a boot ferule kit that allowed me to terminate the single conductors correctly at the socket outlet, because the round flex / cable is of the multi strand copper type.
The ferule kit is not essential, and not totally necessary, it just makes a better job really.
The only issue I had, was because the three pin plug on the “Granny” is a little baulky, I had to trim the enclosure slightly in order to get the weather proof lid to close and seal correctly.

View attachment 3139
Looks almost identical to the one I made up to use at my Daughter's house last Christmas (the trip didn't happen).
I used blue artic 2.5mm cable and a waterproof cable gland into the socket box.

Looks almost identical to the one I made up to use at my Daughter's house last Christmas (the trip didn't happen).
Thanks, I’m learning loads on here, everyone is so helpful and informative

They say :- “Great minds think alike”.
I like the idea of a white or bright coloured flex when run across the tarmac or grass.
Black can mould into the back ground and become a “Trip Hazard”.
The bright orange or yellow cable in the correct rating could be good solution to the problem I guess.
Mind you, even with the orange cable, it never seems to stop folks from cutting through it with the garden equipment !.
That’s why I always favour petrol powered machines myself.
Ask me how many orange cables I have shortened on peoples lawn mowers and hedge trimmers ?.
TOO MANY - That’s the simple answer !.

I'm guilty as charged!
Did the same once myself, many years ago with an electric hedge trimmer.
I have a STIHL two stroke unit now, fantastic bit of kit !.
I wonder just how much electric garden equipment ends up in the skip, when in a lot of the cases, it’s just the supply cable at fault.

View attachment 3139
Hi, I am looking to do similar but wondered if your socket being offset to the left of centre interfered with the lead for the granny when plugged in ?
Does the granny have a built in RCD or should we really add one of those as well ?

On the EV granny charger 13A weatherproof extension lead website it mentions the chunkier granny charger plug, but mine seems to be a normal size. :)

Hi, I am looking to do similar but wondered if your socket being offset to the left of centre interfered with the lead for the granny when plugged in ?
Does the granny have a built in RCD or should we really add one of those as well ?

On the EV granny charger 13A weatherproof extension lead website it mentions the chunkier granny charger plug, but mine seems to be a normal size. :)
Hi @Gomev .
I wanted to build my own lead because I had nearly all of the components to hand already in my garage.
I only needed the single weather proof socket to complete the job.
A double box would have given a bit more “wiggle” room for the large size moulded 13 Amp plug on the Granny, but with the double socket the cable exit point is not directly in the centre of the box.
I did not want to use anything too baulky, so opted for the single socket type unit because if this.
I did have to modify the seal a little in order to get the lid to snap shut.
I guess it depends on what make of socket box you are thinking about using ?.
It was a bit of a “Faff” but I got there in the end !.
The socket I used was from Screwfix and I think it was a B.G. branded unit.
You could take your Granny cable to your local electrical whole seller and try plugging in the three pin plug and see if the lid will snap closed ?.
I guess if you had to purchase all of the necessary bits and pieces to carry out the job correctly, then pre made unit is the way to go.
Oh .... Sorry, you asked the question would it be a good idea to include a RCD trip socket outlet ?.
I did look at the RCD protected weather proof socket outlets at the time and they are lot more expensive.
The caravan where we plugging in was less than 6 months old and the all of the services ( power etc ) was also only six months old.
The caravan was being feed from its own individual power supply box, that was protected by a RCB breaker in the enclosure.
I could have fitted the extension lead with a 240volt blue plug and pulled straight from the supply.
But there is no power being supplied to the caravan at the same time of course !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom