Holiday mileage and charging

peterseddon

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Thought I'd add a positive post about our experiences while on holiday. We travelled from home to Devon, 300 miles. Stopped overnight at Michaelwood Days Inn, 200 miles with 1 meal break and charge stop. Charged up at Michealwood and arrived at the cottage near Bovey Tracey. Found a great Osprey charge hub which had just opened but had no facilities yet, 16 300 kW stalls including 2 pull in bays for towing vehicles. On the way home went to Swindon via Stone Henge to see friends and then home, 11 days in all. We spent £200 on charging and did 1256.2 miles, at £1.40 a litre is equivalent to 40 mpg, or 16p a mile or 64p a kW. The car averaged 4 mls/kWh overall. Yes public charging is expensive but that's only twice a year for holidays, the rest of the time we home charge at 9.5p a kW. The only down side was the lack of high power chargers on the M6 M5 route come on Gridserve get your finger out.
DSC01133.JPG

Just had my first longish run in mine today and did Reading to Bath and back so about 150 miles and used just over half the battery so getting the WLTP figures. 4.2 miles per kWh for the return leg. Very happy with that. Bristol and back tomorrow!

My recent longish journey was Rochester to Bath. 150 miles travelled and 150 miles still left. Averaged 4.7 kwh on the journey. Best thing was I charged fully via solar panels ( using Zappi charger ) before we left, we stayed in a cottage with a home charger which was 30p per kw, so my total cost for the trip was £30 spent on charging as I used solar panels again on my return home. Happy days

From... Reading?
Yep. The outward journey was slightly better and from memory was 3.8 miles per kWh despite hitting some rain at one point. Pleased with any motorway journey that's 3.3 or above!

Last edited:
My recent longish journey was Rochester to Bath. 150 miles travelled and 150 miles still left. Averaged 4.7 kwh on the journey. Best thing was I charged fully via solar panels ( using Zappi charger ) before we left, we stayed in a cottage with a home charger which was 30p per kw, so my total cost for the trip was £30 spent on charging as I used solar panels again on my return home. Happy days
I'm assuming you mean 4.7 miles/kwh. If that's so, may I ask if you were using the motorway or A roads? Have owned the ZS Gen 2 LR for about a year and have seen both summer and winter weather. I have not seen that figure on a long journey. City journey yes I have seen that. I am not heavy footed so if people are seeing that economy then there might be something wrong with my car. A few weeks back I drove to Manchester from south London and I had to charge at Stafford Ionity on my way to for about 10 mins and I managed about 3.6 miles/kwh.

I'm assuming you mean 4.7 miles/kwh. If that's so, may I ask if you were using the motorway or A roads? Have owned the ZS Gen 2 LR for about a year and have seen both summer and winter weather. I have not seen that figure on a long journey. City journey yes I have seen that. I am not heavy footed so if people are seeing that economy then there might be something wrong with my car. A few weeks back I drove to Manchester from south London and I had to charge at Stafford Ionity on my way to for about 10 mins and I managed about 3.6 miles/kwh.
I got around 4 / 4.1 on two recent trips to the Portsmouth area from London. Doing 50 to 60 mph most of the way.

I used mainly A roads etc as I find motorways so boring and I like to stop every so often for coffee and a smoke. Have done this for years, takes longer but no where near as hectic. Makes a nice start to the holiday travels..... I also drive in normal mode with regen set to 3 and use regen wherever possible, also don't use the aircon as I like fresh air.....

Last edited:
I just did 950 miles return from Cambridge to Loch Sunart in Scotland. First charge Scotch Corner at 185 miles. The troublesome Gridserve charger required a call to support to restart it, then it maxed out at 27kw. The others in my traveling party ICE car wanted to get going, so we left with about 60% charge. Then stopped at Gretna Green Services which has shiny new 185kw Applegreen chargers. On my MG4 LR it peaked at 140kw, and before we had time to finish our coffee, we had enough juice to complete our journey. We then spent the next five days driving around charging on a granny socket at our AirBnB. Pretty easy, no waiting for chargers, no range anxiety.
charging_stats.png

Did Reading to Birmingham and back without charging today. Uphill to Birmingham;
PXL_20230624_102401645.jpg

then downhill home;
PXL_20230624_165311242.jpg

Odd that it reports 3.8 miles per kWh for 41% of the battery and 4 miles per kWh for using 46%

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom