Holiday parking

NickHeynes

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Just a quick but of reassurance for those parking their mg4 up while they're away on holiday .
Mine has been parked at Gatwick for 11 days .
I returned yesterday after having been unable to check the cars status while away due to it being parked in a multi storey carpark .
I was a little anxious whether the 12v battery had discharged but needn't have worried .car unlocked fine .no 12v battery degradation .Put the car into drive and made our way home .Perfect .

Were you unable to check the car’s status throughout the holiday or did it respond for about a week before the check failed?
it seems to be a commonly reported problem that the car goes into a deeper sleep after a week and stops responding to status checks.

I am slightly concerned that my car will have to be parked on a public road while I'm away and I'd like to check it (especially "find my car") for reassurance, but I'm worried about the 12v battery. How often would it be prudent to check do you think?

I am slightly concerned that my car will have to be parked on a public road while I'm away and I'd like to check it (especially "find my car") for reassurance, but I'm worried about the 12v battery. How often would it be prudent to check do you think?
I think anyone with concerns re the poor quality 12v battery fitted to our cars should either upgrade the battery or get one of THESE jump start packs.

If you are away you can't do anything about it if the 12v battery goes flat until you get back.
If you are worried about it going walk-about you can set an alert in the iSmart app to let you know every time it's started.

Oh, that's a good idea.

My other thought was to say to my friend perhaps we should cancel the taxi from her house to the airport and drive there in my car so it can stay in a secure car park for the duration. It's her house it will be parked near, so she should have an idea of the level of risk.

I'd rather pay for airport parking than come back to a vanished or vandalised car.

Oh, that's a good idea.

My other thought was to say to my friend perhaps we should cancel the taxi from her house to the airport and drive there in my car so it can stay in a secure car park for the duration. It's her house it will be parked near, so she should have an idea of the level of risk.

I'd rather pay for airport parking than come back to a vanished or vandalised car.
Not knowing the distances involved and the cost of airport parking but it might be worth having a look at how much it would cost for a taxi all the way.
Where I live there are a couple of taxis who advertise airport drop-offs and pick-ups and are usually run by retired taxi drivers after a little beer money.

As far as I recall it didn't respond from day 1.
I assumed that it was because it was in a multistorey.I checked again towards the end of the holiday in case it had been moved to an open area but that didn't seem to be the case .

Not knowing the distances involved and the cost of airport parking but it might be worth having a look at how much it would cost for a taxi all the way.
Where I live there are a couple of taxis who advertise airport drop-offs and pick-ups and are usually run by retired taxi drivers after a little beer money.

The airport is quite near my friend's house, but a long way from mine. The deal is I go to her house and the taxi picks us both up there. Done it before, with the old Golf though. A bright blue brand new EV might be a bit more risky.

Last year we flew from the airport closer to my house so we did it the other way round (and almost certainly gave our Austria-acquired covid we didn't yet know we had to the poor taxi driver) but the flights don't work that way this time.

I think an airport taxi from here would be an arm and a leg, but parking I will have to investigate.

If you are away you can't do anything about it if the 12v battery goes flat until you get back.
If you are worried about it going walk-about you can set an alert in the iSmart app to let you know every time it's started.
You can certainly do this, although I’ve yet to get an alert from that app…the only messages I’ve seen I have to go into the app to get them, which somewhat defeats the purpose…

The airport is quite near my friend's house, but a long way from mine. The deal is I go to her house and the taxi picks us both up there. Done it before, with the old Golf though. A bright blue brand new EV might be a bit more risky.

Last year we flew from the airport closer to my house so we did it the other way round (and almost certainly gave our Austria-acquired covid we didn't yet know we had to the poor taxi driver) but the flights don't work that way this time.

I think an airport taxi from here would be an arm and a leg, but parking I will have to investigate.
Have you ever told this friend of yours that you think she stays in a dodgy area🤣

Have you ever told this friend of yours that you think she stays in a dodgy area🤣

She told me that there had been some car-related incidents in her street, and she herself had her car stolen once. We discussed it this evening and she said there hasn't been any trouble for a long time though and she thinks it's OK. She's going to tell both her next door neighbours whose car it is, and to keep an eye on it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 515 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back