Home Charger Disabled by Insect

Deep purple

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Son rang to ask me to bring our MG5 over as his Leaf wouldn't charge on his Zappi, but would charge on the granny charger.
MG wouldn't charge either so we started investigating the tethered cable for damage and sprayed some WD40 around the terminals. Still no luck. Then we noticed something in one of the sockets on the tethered cable plug. Having switched the power off to the Zappi at the distribution panel we managed to get a small insect out of its hiding place.
Problem solved.
Moral of this story is to use the rubber boot on the plug every time you disconnect.

Son rang to ask me to bring our MG5 over as his Leaf wouldn't charge on his Zappi, but would charge on the granny charger.
MG wouldn't charge either so we started investigating the tethered cable for damage and sprayed some WD40 around the terminals. Still no luck. Then we noticed something in one of the sockets on the tethered cable plug. Having switched the power off to the Zappi at the distribution panel we managed to get a small insect out of its hiding place.
Problem solved.
Moral of this story is to use the rubber boot on the plug every time you disconnect.
Be careful with WD40, it has very adverse effects on some plastics, it makes some of them swell up and it makes all of them go brittle. I used to work offshore in the oil and gas industry, I had used WD40 for years and then the boffins researched it and banned its use anywhere near our $2.2M ROV. Isopropyl Alcohol to clean contacts, a silicone spray to lube things. It's also worth having a read at the COSHH safety sheet for WD40 I was shocked just how nasty the stuff is o_O .

Attachments

• EUF-0003_0010_09-02-2023_EN.pdf
    92 KB · Views: 80
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom