• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Home charger issue

Grandad

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Has anyone had any issues connecting a pod point to their wifi and if so how did you resolve it.
it type the numbers given for the pod point 3 solo in my web browser but all I get is failed to connect timed out to long to respond.

At the risk of insulting your intelligence, is the Pod Point in WiFi range? Depending on how many walls in between that and the the router it might be struggling.

I'm having the same issues. PodPoint wall charger is literally outside my living room window, about 2 metres from the router but I haven't been able to use the Wi-Fi settings on the PodPoint which is a bit of a pain.

I don't know if this will help but in the past when I've had difficulty connecting devices to wifi I've had success splitting the 5ghz and 2.4 ghz signals.

It's not difficult to do. Basically most modern routers accept devices running a 2.4 or 5ghz signal and they combine them into one offering. You can go into the settings of your router and tick a box that allows them to show up separately. Google your router for guides.

e.g. Your router shows up as VIRGIN1234 and when you tick the box, you can assign the 2.4 signal a new name, say VIRGIN1234 24.

Once you've done this you ask your device to connect to "VIRGIN1234 24" instead of VIRGIN1234 and your forcing it down the 2.4 route rather than the 5Ghz route. As you leave the original 5Ghz name, the other devices should remain unaffected unless they are older and only support 2.4.

Helps a lot with devices that are constantly disconnecting such as Smart Plugs and older Alexa units that run on 2.4 and try to connect to 5Ghz when there's an interruption to the signal as well. I've noticed that modern devices like Phones and Tablets use the 5Ghz signal as they need the rapid data transfer that it has, but seldom used devices that just need the occasional "on" or "off" command come with a 2.4 signal as they don't need the more expensive 5ghz chipsets on the circuit boards.

I'm having the same issues. PodPoint wall charger is literally outside my living room window, about 2 metres from the router but I haven't been able to use the Wi-Fi settings on the PodPoint which is a bit of a pain.
There have been postings on the forum about WiFi connection issues with PodPoint Solo and these have often been fixed by turning off Sky Boxes and/or Powerline internet extenders. You shouldn't have to do it but if you do have to turn them off for PodPoint Solo to communicate with the internet then I'd argue that PodPoint isn't fit for purpose and should fix the problem or at their cost replace the Solo with a product which does since the government require home chargers to be SMART (ie internet-connected) to attract the grant that I expect part-funded the installation.

I don't know if this will help but in the past when I've had difficulty connecting devices to wifi I've had success splitting the 5ghz and 2.4 ghz signals.

It's not difficult to do. Basically most modern routers accept devices running a 2.4 or 5ghz signal and they combine them into one offering. You can go into the settings of your router and tick a box that allows them to show up separately. Google your router for guides.

e.g. Your router shows up as VIRGIN1234 and when you tick the box, you can assign the 2.4 signal a new name, say VIRGIN1234 24.

Once you've done this you ask your device to connect to "VIRGIN1234 24" instead of VIRGIN1234 and your forcing it down the 2.4 route rather than the 5Ghz route. As you leave the original 5Ghz name, the other devices should remain unaffected unless they are older and only support 2.4.

Helps a lot with devices that are constantly disconnecting such as Smart Plugs and older Alexa units that run on 2.4 and try to connect to 5Ghz when there's an interruption to the signal as well. I've noticed that modern devices like Phones and Tablets use the 5Ghz signal as they need the rapid data transfer that it has, but seldom used devices that just need the occasional "on" or "off" command come with a 2.4 signal as they don't need the more expensive 5ghz chipsets on the circuit boards.

Thanks @a1970man - I've now managed to set my wifi up as suggested and it worked! My PodPoint is now connected to my wifi and the app is working. Thanks so much for your suggestion :)

Sorry for the late reply, ben too busy at work.

I will give the suggestions a go, thanks.

Grandad

Wi-Fi extension in any form is a flawed technology & should be avoided at all costs. If Wi-Fi has to be used, then use a WAP wireless access point which is connected to your router with a cable.

IMHO, Wi-Fi should only be used by handheld devices! That’s just my 5 pence worth, but I’ve never had any problems as a result. There are a couple of exceptions where the kit doesn’t have an Ethernet port, so in that case I’ve got no choice other than to use Wi-Fi, but in each case the serving Wi-Fi signal is good.

I know running a cable can be a bit of a pain. Power line adapters are ok if used in a sensible way.

All just my opinion 🤐👍

Has anyone had any issues connecting a pod point to their wifi and if so how did you resolve it.
it type the numbers given for the pod point 3 solo in my web browser but all I get is failed to connect timed out to long to respond.
mine works and it is the garage around 35 mtr away

Wi-Fi extension in any form is a flawed technology & should be avoided at all costs. If Wi-Fi has to be used, then use a WAP wireless access point which is connected to your router with a cable.

IMHO, Wi-Fi should only be used by handheld devices! That’s just my 5 pence worth, but I’ve never had any problems as a result. There are a couple of exceptions where the kit doesn’t have an Ethernet port, so in that case I’ve got no choice other than to use Wi-Fi, but in each case the serving Wi-Fi signal is good.

I know running a cable can be a bit of a pain. Power line adapters are ok if used in a sensible way.

All just my opinion 🤐👍
A pretty good rule in computing goes "Cable if you can but if you can't, then try wireless". I'm often called to wifi problems involving range extenders, invariably they end up in the trash. One of our Kiwi ISPs are offering a Mesh service and a couple of people I know who use it reckon that it's pretty good but I've not played with it myself and remain reserved. As you say, power line adapters are usually fairly good but I note that a couple of people earlier in this thread indicate that powerline systems have compatibility issues with Podpoints and I can imagine this being so. A decade or so back there was quite a bit of enthusiasm about the concept of long distance powerline networking but I understand that it kicks up interference on the HAM radio bands and given that even today when the brown stuff really hits the fan and all other comms are down HAM always works, so long distance powerline networking seems to be a dead duck. Maybe something similar happens when Podpoints and powerline networking devices are on the same electrical circuit, maybe.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom