Home charger

The question was about the charger, not the car.
I'd read that it does support the MG API, like it supports the VW API, Ford API, Etc to directly communicate with the car to find out the SOC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd read that as does it support the MG API, like it supports the VW API, Ford API, Etc to directly communicate with the car to find out the SOC
Think he means if it supports the API used by the energy companies, for things like Octopus Energy Go.

Either way - clearly poorly worded.

Yes, that’s what I mean, supported by energy companies.
To be honest I’m not really sure what I’m on about, its all new to me!
If you are wanting a home charger that can be controlled by Octopus then either the Ohme or the Zappi.
The MG4 can't be controlled unlike some EVs which can as MG haven't released the API.

The MG4 can't be controlled unlike some EVs which can as MG haven't released the API.
I can't imagine the logic of that, apart from "It's our API, we're not giving away our trade secrets!". Sigh. The whole point of an API is iter-operability; the "I" in "API" stands for Interface.

I can't imagine the logic of that, apart from "It's our API, we're not giving away our trade secrets!". Sigh. The whole point of an API is iter-operability; the "I" in "API" stands for Interface.
Doesn't have to be public though.

There's alot of private APIs in windows and macos that only Microsoft and apply can use

Sure. But in this case, it means that customers are missing out on handy functionality, and what advantage is keeping that API private to SAIC? None that I can see, but what do I know.
the SAIC API exposes, a lot of information and abilities of the car such as remote locking, starting, opening and closing windows, GPS location, so I imagine part of it is security amongst other reasons.

Other manufacturers are protective of their APIs too, Ford has issued a notice to Octopus to remove their API from their platform, as Ford's T&C's only allow their API to be used by 3rd parties to read battery soc, not to control the vehicle only Ford's application is permitted to do that.

Am I right in thinking that you can select (in the app) your start/stop charging times, and the percentage you want to charge to.
I’m with Ovo and they do a “charge anytime” plan 7p per kWh.

My Simpson & partners home 7 plus supports octopus etc
Screenshot_2023-12-08-14-32-29-599_com.simpsonpartners.simpsonpartners.jpg

Yes, that’s what I mean, supported by energy companies.
To be honest I’m not really sure what I’m on about, its all new to me!
The Ohme, Zappi and Wallbox are on the Octopus IOG list.
Which ones have an 'Approve on plug in' option?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back