Home chargers (Tesla UMC)

Elio

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi everyone

I have an issue, that my facelift MG5 won't really charge on my tesla UMC charging cable. It sometimes charges for a view minutes when i start up the car (like i would drive). On other typ 2 chargers (i tried an opel one) and also on wall boxes it charges fine. I checked my tesla charger and it works with a ford focus electric and with a Tesla. I also borrowed an other tesla UMC to check and its the same.

Does someone experienced something like that with other chargers?

I really like the tesla UMC because it can charge from 220V 10A and also 400V 16A depending on the plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone

I have an issue, that my facelift MG5 won't really charge on my tesla UMC charging cable. It sometimes charges for a view minutes when i start up the car (like i would drive). On other typ 2 chargers (i tried an opel one) and also on wall boxes it charges fine. I checked my tesla charger and it works with a ford focus electric and with a Tesla. I also borrowed an other tesla UMC to check and its the same.

Does someone experienced something like that with other chargers?

I really like the tesla UMC because it can charge from 220v 10a and also 400v 16a depending on the plug.
You must have a Gen1 UMC as later models seemingly are only single phase. It usually doesn’t matter which order you do what on a type 2 but then the MG5 doesn’t seem to like Tesla very much. So maybe try the CCS approach:

1. Connect the UMC to mains (but don’t power it)
2. Make sure you don’t have a charge limit/schedule set
3. Turn off/lock the MG5
4. Unlock the car
5. Plug in the UMC
6. Wait until the car locks again
7. Power UMC
8. Wait….
9. If nothing happens, start charging with the app or in-car

Last edited:
You must have a Gen1 UMC as later models seemingly are only single phase. It usually doesn’t matter which order you do what on a type 2 but then the MG5 doesn’t seem to like Tesla very much. So maybe try the CSS approach:

1. Connect the UMC to mains (but don’t power it)
2. Make sure you don’t have a charge limit/schedule set
3. Turn off/lock the MG5
4. Unlock the car
5. Plug in the UMC
6. Wait until the car locks again
6. Power UMC
7. Wait….
8. If nothing happens start charging with the app or in-car
Thanks for the fast reply.
I'm pretty sure i have the gen1 (type 2 has all the pins and it's at least from 2017)

What do you mean by connect the UMC to mains but not power it? (I don't think the UMC has a power switch right?)

I definitely try that approach (i usually have a charging limit set to 80 or 90%)

Thanks again for your help.

Yes, skip step 1 and plug it in @ 7.
How long do you wait until you start the charging on the app?
So far i haven't had any success.
After the procedure and some waiting i han see the message "connected, not charging" on the instrument display. When I then try to start charging on the app after a while the message "failed" comes up on the app. When i try to start charging in the car, as soon as i open it, the charging port unlocks.

Thanks for any advice.

Try the “Tesla rapid charger hack”

“So I moved to a different stall did the same and after waiting 5 minutes still nothing, so put my thinking cap on and leaving the car plugged in I got back into the car and switched it on put it into ready mode then went in to the infotainment screen for the charge settings pressed start charging and it did less than a minute later.”

Try the “Tesla rapid charger hack”

“So I moved to a different stall did the same and after waiting 5 minutes still nothing, so put my thinking cap on and leaving the car plugged in I got back into the car and switched it on put it into ready mode then went in to the infotainment screen for the charge settings pressed start charging and it did less than a minute later.”
I already tried to put the car in ready mode and it did start charging but after maybe 5-10 minutes it stopped. I haven't tried it with the steps above. Maybe this will work.

So does MG don't like tesla chargers in general or has my MG5 a defect?

So does MG don't like tesla chargers in general or has my MG5 a defect?
Without an EVCC upgrade MG5s don’t to work with open Tesla superchargers (DC rapid charging, level 3).

Given your experience it looks like there is also an issue with UMC & MG5s (AC, Level 1) although the protocol used is completely different?

Is there a change if you run the UMC on 3 vs single phase supply?
Once charging has started, can you turn off the car and check if it interrupts the process?

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom