Home chargers

ghowlett2020

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all, just ordered my ZS EV :)

What home chargers do you have installed? does it matter much? and any installer recommendations (I'm in Essex)?

Thanks all

Project EV - installed through deal with OVO. App controlled and can be adapted for using excess solar panel power. Relatively inexpensive vs some others.

Project EV - installed through deal with OVO. App controlled and can be adapted for using excess solar panel power. Relatively inexpensive vs some others.
I have a Project-EV charger installed last November. Has been working fine when reserving charge during night time tariff rate 00:30-04:30h but does not seem to work in Solar mode or Solar+ mode. It still charges at 7kWp and draws from grid as well as solar, which really defeats that option. Spoke to advice line who suggested an incorrectly fitted CT clamp to do the load balancing.

I got a ohme Pro fitted as it was compatible with ovo 5p anytime charging its a nice small box as well just waiting for the car🙄

Hi all, just ordered my ZS EV :)

What home chargers do you have installed? does it matter much? and any installer recommendations (I'm in Essex)?

Thanks all
If you are thinking of solar now or in the future then check out the Zappi EVSE.

I have a Project-EV charger installed last November. Has been working fine when reserving charge during night time tariff rate 00:30-04:30h but does not seem to work in Solar mode or Solar+ mode. It still charges at 7kWp and draws from grid as well as solar, which really defeats that option. Spoke to advice line who suggested an incorrectly fitted CT clamp to do the load balancing.
Interesting. Mine is not configured to use solar, but I was aware it could be. Is it a complex thing to add that facility? I have panels that generate a maximum of 3.4 kW. I did not specify that at the time of installation as my only electric vehicle then was a phev with a small battery, and I also have a storage battery along with the panels. (I wonder if that makes things more complicated..)

Last edited:
Are the charger all the same in terms of quality and safety?
How decent is the Hive one (I already have my heating on Hive, so might make sense to consolidate my apps). Or should I go with whatever my power supplier offers?
Would you recommend tethered or untethered?

I would go tethered and what ever works for you the best financially I would rather get a good tariff like 5p all day charging over apps or looks but everyone is different so what ever is right for you

I got a free charger in the deal with the car. In 2020. Its a rolec never had any problems. Uses ev energy app 5p 12.30 to 4.30. Unthererd is best you can take cable with you if you need a charge when your out and about.

Are the charger all the same in terms of quality and safety?
How decent is the Hive one (I already have my heating on Hive, so might make sense to consolidate my apps). Or should I go with whatever my power supplier offers?
Would you recommend tethered or untethered?
I bought a cheap chinese one but since it does not do any sort of conversion i dont think it matters a lot.

It seems the charger needs to communicate with the car regarding it's capabilities, but when the car and charger are finished talking, i would imagine the power is just connected to the car, via a relay that connects the wiring to the car.

From what i have been able to gather, in reality, it is the charger in the car that takes what it has been told by the charger, it can handle, and what the charger can handle is probably mostly governed by what the grid can supply, and the fuses and wiring for the charger is rated at.

Mine clicks when the charging starts, so the electronics seems to basically tell the car, at what amperage it can charge, and then it drives a display on the charger that tells me, what current is being drawn, and how much current it have put into the car, and how long it has been charging.

I also have the OHME Home Pro the guys who installed it were first class.

AES Smart Metering Ltd 0800 810 0505 they cover almost everywhere.

I got a free charger in the deal with the car. In 2020. Its a rolec never had any problems. Uses ev energy app 5p 12.30 to 4.30. Unthererd is best you can take cable with you if you need a charge when your out and about.
My car came with a cable that lives in the boot. Tethered is best, I would say, as you can leave cable in boot under the floor for when you need it out and about.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom