Home Charging point

monitor

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi there
we leave a mid-terrace house in strood kent, with no drive way
On our road anyone can park anywhere. this is making it very difficult for us to buy an electric charge point for the house to charge car
we contacted the council, if possible they can demarcate an electric charging space in front for our house for charging but unfortunately, they said that will not be possible unless we apply for planning permission. we written several times to the permit department on the process of starting the planning permission process but no reply from them.
is anyone here with knowledge on how for us to proceed

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you had one, wouldn't you have the lead training across a pavement, which would probably be a no-no.

I presume that you cannot convert the front garden into parking? Otherwise you are not in a strong position. Nobody has the right to a reserved spot on the public highway apart from some disabled people. Otherwise it is a free for all.

I have not heard of EVs being given dedicated parking spots except at public charging points. Have you a link to advice that suggests otherwise?

... in fact many many years ago I heard that anyone parking on the road could technically be done for causing an obstruction...

... Nobody has the right to a reserved spot on the public highway apart from some disabled people. Otherwise it is a free for all.

In fact even if you mange to get a disabled bay marked outside your house, it is a public disabled bay, not yours solely, and any disabled driver is entitled to use it, same as any public car park.

In reality nobody else is likely to use it, but they could. I imagine the same would apply to any EV Charging spot marked on the public highway.

Hi there
we leave a mid-terrace house in strood kent, with no drive way
On our road anyone can park anywhere. this is making it very difficult for us to buy an electric charge point for the house to charge car
we contacted the council, if possible they can demarcate an electric charging space in front for our house for charging but unfortunately, they said that will not be possible unless we apply for planning permission. we written several times to the permit department on the process of starting the planning permission process but no reply from them.
is anyone here with knowledge on how for us to proceed
You are in a very typical situation with many others in that same position. And until the council roll out much more widespread charging points at all street lights, the only other option are going to be public charging points such as supermarkets and shopping centres.

Most of the time, but not always. Some local authorities restrict them to a specific registration number or permit.
I don't know about every council, but in Leeds, where I worked for a spell with the Planning and also Highways it is a public blue badge bay. Just done a quick google and a cursory glance suggests it is generally public, but who knows elsewhere. :)

Would a couple of large Highway cones placed outside of your house do the trick? Not legal, but might discourage others from parking there....

The ICE lobby will kick off if EV drivers are seen to be getting such a big benefit.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom