Home charging with granny charger

MickeyD

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
New owner of SZ 2020 ( 3 weeks). Doing first home charge using granny charger. I would like confirmation of the correct sequence to stop the charge.

Is it:-

unlock car (this release charging cable)
remove cable
switch off at mains. (this seems slightly suspect with a live charging cable)

or
switch off at mains
unlock car (this release charging cable)
remove cable (this also seems slightly suspect as advice suggests this 'fries' the charging mechanism)

all help gratefully received

There is no mains on the plug until the car asks for power.
The granny EVSE is just a power switch to put mains into the car as the charger is in the car.
Check with your dealer has done all the updates as this was one of the early issues with the ZS.
Are you getting a 7kW EVSE installed?

Thanks for prompt reply. It has had all updates, and the wall charger is on order. I have rapid charged before where the charged either stops or there is a prompt to stop charging, after which I unplug the cable. I’m after the sequence to use at home to stop charging- this isn’t clear in the manuals hence the original question

Unlock car, remove cable then turn off mains.
What percentage did it stop at when on a rapid charger?

Can”t honestly remember the percentage, but took less than an hour. Not even sure if the chargers showed a percentage. The battery indicator only shows miles left not perecentage charge either. Plus the I charge app isn’t compatible with 2020 model. Thanks for the info re sequence. It’s been charging since 2:00 pm from 2 bars (approx 50 miles left). Anticipated to finish about 10:00 tomorrow morning after balancing

Update: granny charged finished approx 08:00. Range 198 miles. High voltage 100%. Low voltage about 80% . Presumably takes more than 1 granny charge with balancing to get to 100%

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom