Home charging with three phase supply

Seabass

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Having finally had our Zappi 3-phase home charger fitted I anticipated getting the advertised 22kW charge. However the most I am getting is 10.5 kW. Looking at the MG4EV Trophy owner's guide there's a note on p174 under the heading Slow Charging which states that chargers rated above the standard 7kW single phase, "11kW for example, will require a 3 phase supply". Is this a disguised statement that in fact you can't get more than 11kW via 3 phase anyway? I have a CCS charge cable of the correct rating to supply the charge . Is there a way to get the car to recognise a 3 phase 22kW charger?

The charger built in to the vehicle will only charge at a maximum of 11kW. If the vehicle was fitted with a suitable 3 phase 22 kW charger the Zappi would indeed supply it. In round figures, 7.2 kW per phase.

You need to install a 50kW DC Rapid charger :)

Upvote 0
Can you add a picture of your CCS cable?
The MG4 has 3 x 3.5kW chargers on board. Two are used for 7kW single phase charging and on 3 phase you may get near 11kW but more likely 9.5kW.

Upvote 0
Doesn't the facelift model have an 11kwh charger onboard? had not heard of a 22kwh.

/edit ah, you're talking about the MG4, wrong forum :)

Upvote 0
Having finally had our Zappi 3-phase home charger fitted I anticipated getting the advertised 22kW charge. However the most I am getting is 10.5 kW. Looking at the MG4EV Trophy owner's guide there's a note on p174 under the heading Slow Charging which states that chargers rated above the standard 7kW single phase, "11kW for example, will require a 3 phase supply". Is this a disguised statement that in fact you can't get more than 11kW via 3 phase anyway? I have a CCS charge cable of the correct rating to supply the charge . Is there a way to get the car to recognise a 3 phase 22kW charger?
In a nutshell, the MG5 facelift only has an 11kW onboard AC charger, so no you will never get 22kW.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom