Home Charging

greeiig

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all. I'm (hopefully shortly) about to receive my first ever brand new car - and it's a MG5 EV
We're lucky enough to have off-street parking and I've ordered a home Charge point via Pod-Point.
Been a bit of a palaver so far - filling in the forms for the govt grant etc - and there seems to be quite a wait for the installation which is now booked in for just before Christmas.
I went for a Universal 7kW charger - assuming a charging cable will come with the car - is that a reasonable idea?!
I'd be grateful for any insights - things I should look out for etc.
Cheers,
Greg

Hi, you will get a 'granny' box with the car unless you have asked for a type 2 cable or get one free on the affinity scheme.
Do you know if your Pod point will be tethered or not?.
You will need a type 2 cable for fast AC units out and about.
DC rapid units have CCS tethered cables

@Jomarkh Thanks for that. I chose a non-tethered option as I thought it would be a bit more flaxible and didn't really want to just leave the cable on the charger.
I can see that the Type two cable costs a fair bit - so I don't get one with the car then?
Not sure what you mean by "Granny" box? is that a charging cable that won't feed even 7kW from home?

The granny EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment) can be used on a 13A socket but not recommended for long term use as the plug top can get warm if used in an old socket. See various threads out it.
You will need a type 2 cable for most fast AC units like the free ones at the supermarket plus an app like Pod Point to start the charge even if free.

My EVSE is in the garage with just enough tethered lead outside to reach the car.
Again you will find pros and cons for both.
If the lead gets damaged then not easy to swap out but if untethered then will you not have 5 meters of cable hanging on the wall??
IMG_20210919_113129~2.jpg

For me personally I think tethered. The cable is right there when you need it, no messing around.

It's raining, you have one less socket to try and attach to etc.
I totally agree with @defeatedbythecat .
Yeah - The debate over tethered vs untethered wall boxes is a totally personal preference thing really for me 🤷‍♂️ .
It's very much a "Roundabouts & Swings" topic.
Only speaking for myself here, I went for a tethered unit and purchased a type 2 cable to keep permanently in the boot of the car.
The type 2 cable is dedicated for public charging use ONLY and never leaves the boot, unless for charging of course !.
I know that solution can be seen as more expensive option, because in effect buying the charging lead twice in a way, if thats makes sense ??.
But this maybe worth considering before you make your choice.
Okay, you have favoured a untethered wall box ( cheaper option ) which you are using on a daily basis and are very happy with your purchase.
Then one morning, you are about to make a long trip and you are running a bit late ( as we do ).
You unlock the car, unplug the lead, jump into the car and set off on your long trip.
After driving about 100 miles ( ish ) you decide to take a well earned toilet break and something to eat and a drink.
While there, you decide to carry out a quick charge at the same time.
You pull up to the 7 kw public post and then ( hard face palm ).
Where is your charging cable, still plugged into your home wall box 100 miles away !.
One good enough reason to go tethered, right there and then !.
Either go for a tethered wall box at home and purchase a dedicated type 2 lead that lives in your boot permanently.
Or go untethered and buy a second ( more expense ) type 2 cable to live the boot.
You can't get it wrong with a tethered wall box, because the clue is in the name.
It's TETHERED - as the cable is permanently attached / fixed to the wall box unit.
Having one untethered cable means you are constantly taking it in and out of the boot in ALL weathers in order to charge.
If you go tethered cable and the lead becomes damaged in some way, it can be replaced in about 30 minutes, so not the end of the world really.
A untethered cable can get damaged as well don't forget !.
It's each to his / her own on this subject, you pay's your money and takes your choice, at the end of the day.
Very similar to these two subjects :-
"Do I purchase a spare wheel kit, or do I rely on the useless, but supplied inflation fluid ?".
Combined with :- "Is carrying a small 12 volt battery booster pack a good idea, do you think ?".
I think you already know the answers to these two questions ;) .
Preparation is the key to success !.

I went for the spare tyre but haven't got a 12v battery pack just a 10mm spanner ☺️.
What battery pack did you get?

Hi all. I'm (hopefully shortly) about to receive my first ever brand new car - and it's a MG5 EV
We're lucky enough to have off-street parking and I've ordered a home Charge point via Pod-Point.
Been a bit of a palaver so far - filling in the forms for the govt grant etc - and there seems to be quite a wait for the installation which is now booked in for just before Christmas.
I went for a Universal 7kW charger - assuming a charging cable will come with the car - is that a reasonable idea?!
Cheers,
Greg
Just a bit of advise go for the untethered option for the 7k cable as you can carry it with you in the car but also be aware if you have got a loop supply to your house as i did when podpoint installed my charging unit.It was on for about two weeks but then got told it had got to be switched off due to the power coming in was on a loop supply that would need upgrading by our local provider supplier Western Power as i live in Wolverhampton who are not the same as my energy company which is British Gas for my gas and electric.The unit was then shut down by podpoint until my loop supply was upgraded by western power and this was an 8 week wait although western power did a fantastic job i was still not pleased as i thought a survey of my property would have been appropriate even before podpoint did the install so be aware of this if you understand.Also i have had my MG ZS EV for 18 months now i think its fantastic but i still think MG should have checked my supply first to my property.Looking to move house next year and podpoint want about £600 plus to move my charging point to another property too as there engineers have to remove it and reinstall as if someone else does this even qualified to do so it may affect my warranty on the unit so once again be aware of this.Happy motoring though,enjoy.

Cheers,
Greg
Just a bit of advise go for the untethered option for the 7k cable as you can carry it with you in the car but also be aware if you have got a loop supply to your house as i did when podpoint installed my charging unit.It was on for about two weeks but then got told it had got to be switched off due to the power coming in was on a loop supply that would need upgrading by our local provider supplier Western Power as i live in Wolverhampton who are not the same as my energy company which is British Gas for my gas and electric.The unit was then shut down by podpoint until my loop supply was upgraded by western power and this was an 8 week wait although western power did a fantastic job i was still not pleased as i thought a survey of my property would have been appropriate even before podpoint did the install so be aware of this if you understand.Also i have had my MG ZS EV for 18 months now i think its fantastic but i still think MG should have checked my supply first to my property.Looking to move house next year and podpoint want about £600 plus to move my charging point to another property too as there engineers have to remove it and reinstall as if someone else does this even qualified to do so it may affect my warranty on the unit so once again be aware of this.Happy motoring though,enjoy.

I went for the spare tyre but haven't got a 12v battery pack just a 10mm spanner ☺️.
What battery pack did you get?
I have one of the "Halo" branded units, they are very popular in America.
Just a minute ........ I watched a video put out last night by "Tom's Man Shed" on You Tube only last night.
He purchased a jump pack from Lidl about two weeks ago, from £45.00 I think.
Not sure if you buy on-line ?.
Demo's it on his ZS EV and his daughter's ICE car.
Let me see if I can find you the link .........?????.
There you go !.
Enjoy.

Edit:- Just found one on EBay for £49.00 ??????.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks all for the responses. I feel like a bit of a numpty for the question now, but also really appreciate the explanations of the pros and cons - especially @Lovemyev 's
That is the whole intention of the forum !.
Offering help and experience to newer EV owners is what it’s really all about.
There are some very knowledgeable people that frequent this forum and have been invaluable when the ZS EV was first launched.
It many cases, being able to answer questions that dealers or MG themselves could not provide an instant answer for.
Don’t be frightened to ask, we have all been in the same boat !.

Totally new to the EV scene. ZS ordered with like the rest us expected delivery March/April.
Just looking for some advice on Chargers please.
I have solar panels, (miss sold them, sued, got a little bit of money off, long story. These are the panels that pump warm air into your house but don't actually work in the winter).
We have East/West facing panels, 8 on each.
I'm just starting to get quotes in.
Anyway, questions (some may be a bit dim)
Do all chargers that are solar compatible actually tell you when you are drawing electricity from your panels?
If they do the same job, why are some more expensive than others?
Will it charge just as quick when only drawing from the panels?

Should I still look for an EV tariff? , I'm one of the many ones that have just had my supplier swapped as mine had gone bust.

Any help very much appreciated.

Hi, the Zappi tells you where the power is coming from when connected to your car either from generated or grid. It costs a bit more but does have PEN protection built in (see varoius other threads).
If you do get on an over night tariff you can use it to top up your PV battery as well as the car but I am not sure who is taking new customers at the moment.
Not sure if you have seen Zap-map but that help to find charge networks but you will need accounts and apps for most of them.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom