Home EV charger interference with wifi

LancashireFlyer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all.

I've done a search but can't find the exact same issue I'm currently having.

I had a Wallbox Pulsar Max home EV charger installed yesterday, and since then our WiFi has been intermittent. It isn't the broadband, as test show there is a decent speed to the router, but all WiFi enabled gadgets are coming up no signal. I have turned the charger off at the wall and suddenly the WiFi works fine.

I've seen something about unshielded telecoms cables, but has anyone else suffered the same issues when their home EV charger was installed?

I've had the car for 10 weeks and parked on the drive, so it's not the car.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, is the Wall box hard wired?
When I was using my Wall box Plus I had all sorts of issues with Intelligent Octopus as my wifi was on the limit, so I was very glad when the Zappi could be used with IOG.

The box has bluetooth (which can interfere with 2.4ghz wifi). Have you tried changing the channel of your LAN wifi and enabling any bluetooth coexistence features? Try splitting your wifi out into 2.4 and 5ghz SSIDs and see if they are both affected or just the one that the wall box connects to.

The SSID option may not be possible, depending on which broadband "router" you have. (e.g. the BT SmartHub2 only allows a single SSID for both frequency bands).

I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus and don't have any such issues. I did though need to site a WiFi repeater/booster near the box so that it could pick up a WiFi signal, as the WiFi antenna inside it isn't very good.

The box has bluetooth (which can interfere with 2.4ghz wifi). Have you tried changing the channel of your LAN wifi and enabling any bluetooth coexistence features? Try splitting your wifi out into 2.4 and 5ghz SSIDs and see if they are both affected or just the one that the wall box connects to.
I've got a talk talk router that has 2.4 and 5ghz. It shows what's connected to which frequency. Both were affected.

We have a Hive heating system, and a Yale smart alarm. Both are connected directly to the router via Ethernet cables and still have connection status when the WiFi equipment doesn't, however our Amazon Alexas all use WiFi, and still connect to the Internet when everything else that uses WiFi doesn't (sky glass, mobile phones, tablets etc).

That's why I'm at a loss. It's not a loss of broadband, as certain devices work. It's a loss of WiFi of certain items of equipment.

I've isolated the charger again from the mains (tripped the fuse) and the WiFi is back working now.

Is your router WiFi 6?

My solar enginer told me that Zappis have issues with WiFi 6. We had 6.7Kw Solar panels plus 18Kwh batteries installed 3 weeks ago (along with the Zappi) and he had a hell of a time trying to connect to my WiFi6 router, in the end I used am old BT Hub that I used for bench testing and set it up to act as a WiFi AP and plugged one of the Cat 5 cable into this to stick it on my LAN.
Used a different SSID and now all the solar and Zappi use this for internet access and works great with no conflict with my ASUS Router.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back