Home fast charger performace?

deviousrich

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all

Just got an ohme home pro installed so still getting used to it, but a question I had I hoped you knowledgeable lot would know....

When I plug in and just set to max charge its showing about 15amp draw, I was expecting much higher (30amp)
Any ideas why, is this just because it's cold outside or is there a setting I missed?
In a 5 hour slot I'm getting about 19khw so it seems to sit at that 15amp level

Ideas welcomed!

Hi, if you look at your IHD when you start a charge doès the power drawn from you background level go up by about 7kw?
Your Ohme may set wrong at 16A?

Hi, if you look at your IHD when you start a charge doès the power drawn from you background level go up by about 7kw?
Your Ohme may set wrong at 16A?
Yeah it all correlates to 15/16a but I couldn't find any way to change it??

Hi

My first port of call would be to check the settings of your charger (may be via your chargers app) to see if the current is variable. My Wallbox Pulsar allows the current to be varied between 6 and 32 amps on the fly.

Then contact the installer. Explain the situation, you should be drawing about 32 amps (7.3 KW) see what he/she says.

Don't touch anything, just look!

Also you could take a look at the installation and check you are:
1. not on a looped supply.
2. your main fuse in the meter box(not consumer unit) is 100 amp.
3. check the size of the fuse in the breaker for the supply to the charger.

Don't touch anything, just look!

If your Ohme is on a 32A or 40A RCBO then you will need Octopus to change it to 32A as they do it remotely. I don't think you can do it on the EVSE or using the app.

Thanks all

I'm sure it should be 32amp, installed by octopus.energy so I'll get in touch with them

It's not looped
It's an 80amp main fuse
It's a new consumer unit with 40amp breaker

I do susspect its an installation setting somewhere, just not sure where!

Not sure if it helps but their own manual/FAQ states:

"Please note, the Ohme charger will not allow the car to draw more current than the Ohme charger is programmed for. The number of Amps Ohme has been programmed from can be seen in the centre of the charger display. Please see ‘Understanding the Display Screen’."

Also it has built in load balancing according to this review...

Yeah it does have a clamp and load balancing but the total use was about 4.5kw in the house with the charger on so nowhere near the load balance limit! Hence I think its a config setting somewhere

(Page 8 ) in the Product manual 'Where load balancing is activated, if the CT clamp is removed, or is faulty, the unit will revert to 16A'.
Troubleshooting www.ohme-ev.com
Helpdesk [email protected]
tel 02033751586
@thingaby
you were right, ohme customer support showed me how to get to installer mode (hold three buttons for 10 seconds for anyone else) and turned of load balancing and it's now at 30amp as expected
So obviously either the ct clamp isn't installed properly or not working, but either way atleast now it will charge as expected and I can get octopus to sort the installation in slow time.

Thought I'd post this update incase anyone else has the same issue!

Hi all

Just got an ohme home pro installed so still getting used to it, but a question I had I hoped you knowledgeable lot would know....

When I plug in and just set to max charge its showing about 15amp draw, I was expecting much higher (30amp)
Any ideas why, is this just because it's cold outside or is there a setting I missed?
In a 5 hour slot I'm getting about 19khw so it seems to sit at that 15amp level

Ideas welcomed!
Researchers found that charging times increased significantly in cold weather. When an EV battery was charged at 25 degrees, a DCFC charger might charge a battery to 80 percent capacity in 30 minutes. When charging at 0 degrees, the battery's state of charge was 36 % less after the same amount of time.
Source

Last edited:
as an update to this, the saga did continue (but its now resolved)

originally it was suspected the CT clamp was at fault as i found it wasnt connected properly, so that was duly connected up, but that only made matters worse... What that did was meant the unit would ramp up to 30amp, but then about 90seconds later the charger would reboot (and then go into a boot loop)!
By disconnecting the CT clamp and disabling load balancing it was back to being (a non-load balancing) 30amp charger. what was annoying was that we didnt notice that when the installer was here, so he had gone!

back on email to Ohme (with a video as it was a pain to explain!) they very quickly determined the whole unit was faulty so everything has been swapped out for a new unit and all now works and load balances as expected.

faultless customer service from Ohme and Octopus (besides the faulty unit) i do have to say, just a word to check after your installations that:
the chargers are load balancing,
charging at the right levels
and give them a decent (10mins+) test while the installer is onsite!

yep, it was all tested and commissioned but apparently that doesnt test the load balancing (or so i was told) - its more testing the current / safety side of the installation from my understanding
The only tests an installer will do is the standard electrical tests which includes RCD trip speed testing. Did he measure the house load at the meter tails to see whether it matched the reading shown at EV charger? This would possibly indicate if there was a possible problem as all the chargers load balancing calculations would use this reference figure.

The only tests an installer will do is the standard electrical tests which includes RCD trip speed testing. Did he measure the house load at the meter tails to see whether it matched the reading shown at EV charger? This would possibly indicate if there was a possible problem as all the chargers load balancing calculations would use this reference figure.
the problem is the Ohme itself (the charger) doesnt have any such readouts (load balancing etc) and hence it was such a pain to diagnose. basically all it tells you is the current its pumping out!

the problem is the Ohme itself (the charger) doesnt have any such readouts (load balancing etc) and hence it was such a pain to diagnose. basically all it tells you is the current its pumping out!
I can see why you would be banging your head against a wall. I chose Zappi's because it has a display with plenty of readings. I didn't realise other smart chargers don't even give readings on their apps.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom