Home Wall Charger

I was thinking of moving to Octopus, but they’re recommending to all not to switch. Don’t really understand why. Anyone know why?

It's because there is a standard capped rate which applies to all suppliers, so no point in switching. Fixes are more expensive than SVR, so no point switching.
Only reason is if you need a time of day tariff for your EV then there is a point for switching.

Hope this helps. :)

Zappi if you have or may get solar panels and a battery.
Yeah I have a Zappi 2 on my wall and it seems quite future proof if you’re thinking of adding PV/batteries etc. it’s not cheap and the main drawback is not being able to configure the settings from an app, although you can set the timer etc remotely.

For what it's worth we got a QubEV which is British made, very competitively priced (via Amazon) and has performed well since we connected it up in February.
I upgraded the house from 80 to 100 amp. Initially thought it would be a free upgrade but there's now a £130 charge. Took the guy about 2 minutes to switch the fuse 🤣

I had an Innogy charger/socket 7kW 100amp unit fitted in the garage by EON now EON Next. I have an Economy 10 supply from them and I set an alarm in the afternoon to catch the 3 hour slot and again in the evening. With my MG5 I can get 65% to 99% within the afternoon slot usually.
EON were applying the Gov discount but I think that has gone but the service from them was very good.

A further point of order - a charge point is technically known as EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment) :)
A giant expensive wall switch 🤣.
A “Wall Box” fits better than the word “Charger” but it’s funny on how we latch onto incorrect names for things.
Why do we insist on calling vacuum cleaners Hoovers 🤷‍♂️ .

We have the EO Mini 2 and I definitely cannot recommend it.

The solar charge functionality is useless (get the MyEnergi Zappi device if you need that), it has had reliability problems connecting to the app, we have had overnight charges not occur for no explanation which has caused us stress, extra cost and inconvenience whengoing to work the next day, and their customer support is dreadful (you have to take to Twitter to get an actual response).

I have a Hypervolt which is fine, compatible with solar and looks better than the Zappi (imv, obvs). But the Zappi integrates better with other MyEnergi products.

Point of order - the ONLY charger is built into the car. A wall box is merely a (usually smart) charge point. :)

As to which one is best for you - this depends on your circumstances, which energy supplier you use, whether you have access to lower price periods, the layout of your property etc.
Forget the semantics, I think most of us know what the man means.

Per smokie, Jomarkh: Octopus, like many suppliers, are probably rather marginal on profit (or perhaps loss-making) on the currrent (sorry) daytime supply rates; but they'll take an ev owner as you (or, preferably, your car battery) are somewhere for their overnight/off-peak energy to go when almost everything else is 'switched off'. Wind turbine operators don't like having to offline their very big - and slightly expensive - bits of kit just 'cos there's nowhere for their wind energy to go while everyone's making their own under the duvet. By plugging your car battery in offpeak, you're actually helping make the grid more manageable - and cost effective.

Ohme Home Pro has been good after almost a year. Don't be swayed by the display panel as it's a faff to usea and it's quicker to nip indoors and use the excellent app. Also, it's difficult to see the screen in bright daylight (mine is North facing). Support is good.

I use a Hypervolt charger. Looks OK (unobtrusive), connects to wi-fi most of the time (140+ year old house with foot thick stone walls), easy to use. Their customer service is terrific - fast, helpful and friendly - which is a big plus.

I use a Hypervolt charger. Looks OK (unobtrusive), connects to wi-fi most of the time (140+ year old house with foot thick stone walls), easy to use. Their customer service is terrific - fast, helpful and friendly - which is a big plus.
If I required a new wall box, I am about 99% sure I would go for a Hypervolt.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom