Horn beeping twice whilst driving

MoDolph

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
My MG4 Trophy has occasionally been showing this weird behaviour of randomly beeping it's horn twice in quick succession shortly after starting to drive as if it is trying to lock itself. Has anybody else had this happen?

I don't think it is a problem with the door buttons or keys as I have tried locking the car using both whilst driving and they only cause a single horn beep.

I had this for a few weeks, never had it before, then it just stopped happening a couple of weeks ago and hasn't happened since. Totally random!

I had the same with windows dropping, it happened numerous times for about a week last summer, but then had never happened again.

I'm just putting it down to crappy MG software.

I've had it a couple of times at the end of last year but nothing since. Just wonder if the button on the key fob was getting pressed when it's in my pocket.
I thought the same so made a point of removing the key from my pocket and placing it in the cup holder. It still did it.

Mine has done the same time to time, always when leaving early and it knows my neighbours are asleep.
I out it down to me rushing the car in start up and pulling away whilst still booting up
It hasn’t since software update but that maybe just coincidence

I frequently get in the car and drive straight off without waiting for anything to boot up. (To drive out of the garage.) It never does that.

It doesn't cause the "autohold fault" either. Conversely I've had the autohold fault when I've just sat down and touched nothing!

Strange are the ways of the MG4.

I frequently get in the car and drive straight off without waiting for anything to boot up. (To drive out of the garage.) It never does that.

It doesn't cause the "autohold fault" either. Conversely I've had the autohold fault when I've just sat down and touched nothing!

Strange are the ways of the MG4.
It’s always been when the doors auto lock at slightly higher speed. Just another MG4 quirk

With mine I tried just getting in an not doing anything, the horn still sounded twice.

I too have never had any errors jumping in and driving off whilst everything booted. I only do this if driving locally though and do not have to go through the faff of waiting for it to boot, then switching off the auto lights, speed sign camera, LKA, and FCA before you can move.

Yeah, I posted about this last year, with a “fix” for the short term, then it just stopped happening.

Yeah, I posted about this last year, with a “fix” for the short term, then it just stopped happening.

Thanks. So your fix was to manually lock the car before pressing the brake pedal?

It might be the door handle lock button thats sticking in or shorting.

I had this weird occurrence the other day when unlocking the car. The horn just continued to beep for at least a minute it was really loud and embarrassing. All the neighbors came out thinking someone had driven into a wall. 🇨🇳 :unsure: locked it and it stopped. Not happened since.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back