Hot plug

mj224

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have uses an EV now for some 6 years, and my usual way of charging is from an outside 3 pin plug socket. I have noticed that the plug and socket are quite warm after a charge, and the plug is difficult to pull out. I think the socket is deteriorating as time goes by.

I have a 7kw Ohme charger on order, maybe fitted in January I hope. I think I should stop using this socket, or maybe get an electrician in to replace it. I do use the socket for gardening and Xmas lighting, but usually nothing too vital...

Sounds like the plug terminals are coming loose, either replace the 3 pin plug or as above get an electrician

I had this, it was the fuse holder in the plug. The contacts were badly riveted in.

Take out the fuse and you'll probably see the contacts are starting to burn.

The solution, if it is the plug, is to buy a quality rubberised plug, cut off the original and fit the new, better one. Or you could ask your dealer to replace the charger under warranty.

Look up my earlier thread titled check your granny, back in October for more on this issue.

Thanks all. I have an electrician booked now, and will replace the socket. I will get him to look at the plug as well.

With my previous EV, a Citroen Zero, the actual plug fell apart. Changing it was a challenge as the wires were so thick, it was tricky getting them into and attached to a new plug. I had to change the plug twice.

Glad I am getting a type 2 fitted...............:)

Yesterday, I had a Russian sparky arrive, quote and replace the dodgy socket. What we found was that the wiring was too thin, it's intended for lighting of maybe a garden strimmer. And the socket was certainly worse off for several years of EV charging.

So the socket has been replaced, I was advised that whilst the current needed for the EV charger was more than the wiring was designed for, using it for the next month or so would be OK. Hopefully in January I shall be having my 7Kw Ohme charger installed.

It is a little warning for those who use the 3 pin system to charge EV's, is the wiring up to it in the long run. Risk of fire was not huge, but the socket was suffering. So beware....

Thanks for comments and the kick in b*m to do something about it...:)

As a qualified Electrician, although no longer trading, I can tell you the advice you have been given is very odd, if the wiring to the socket is so under rated that the wiring itself is heating up so much as to damage the socket, it is most likely something like 1mm cabling. You should most certainly not be continuing to use a charger pulling 10A continuously with it at all, never mind OK for the next month! Did you enquire about the Electricians qualifications at all? It is also odd you say he was Russian, whilst there are many east European tradesmen here in the UK, Visa restrictions with Russia make it exceptionally difficult for Russian tradesmen to operate here at all!

It is a little warning for those who use the 3 pin system to charge EV's, is the wiring up to it in the long run. Risk of fire was not huge, but the socket was suffering. So beware....

....snipped a bit....

Here in Norway you have to use a dedicated circuit for regular charging, though it is highly recommended from the authoritys to get a charging point installed.
But then again, most of our grid is IT, witch is quite unusual in the rest of Europe.

As a qualified Electrician, although no longer trading, I can tell you the advice you have been given is very odd, if the wiring to the socket is so under rated that the wiring itself is heating up so much as to damage the socket, it is most likely something like 1mm cabling. You should most certainly not be continuing to use a charger pulling 10A continuously with it at all, never mind OK for the next month! Did you enquire about the Electricians qualifications at all? It is also odd you say he was Russian, whilst there are many east European tradesmen here in the UK, Visa restrictions with Russia make it exceptionally difficult for Russian tradesmen to operate here at all!
I have little doubt that you are right. This outside socket is only wired with thin wiring cable. I don't know the correct wattage or amperage, but its not the stiff cable used for housing ring mains for certain. I have been using it for several years to charge two EV's, in ignorance alas. I only realised a problem when the plug was difficult to pull out of the socket. Until I have my 7watter installed, I will use the local rapid charger, and maybe top up with the present socket.

Yes the guy was Russian, but has lived in UK for 25 years. I "got" him from the My Builder Website, unsure whether they check qualifications. I would think they do have some sort of quality system, as they could be held liable if there was a total dodo working from them. As with many East Europeans, the job was quoted and completed within a few hours....

....snipped a bit....

Here in Norway you have to use a dedicated circuit for regular charging, though it is highly recommended from the authoritys to get a charging point installed.
But then again, most of our grid is IT, witch is quite unusual in the rest of Europe.
I think that is very sensible. An outside socket must be checked for suitability. My experience now highlights that, maybe I was lucky, but it is a warning for the rest of us.................

Yesterday, I had a Russian sparky arrive, quote and replace the dodgy socket. What we found was that the wiring was too thin, it's intended for lighting of maybe a garden strimmer. And the socket was certainly worse off for several years of EV charging.

So the socket has been replaced, I was advised that whilst the current needed for the EV charger was more than the wiring was designed for, using it for the next month or so would be OK. Hopefully in January I shall be having my 7Kw Ohme charger installed.

Thanks for comments and the kick in b*m to do something about it...:)
I would be worried as to where this cable is linked. If it is a spur off a ring main circuit then it was definitely not done originally by a qualified electrician. If is is directly connected to the consumer unit then it should have been fused to protect the cable used. Either way I would get the whole electrical system checked by a competent person. If you're having a 7kW charger installed professionally then as part of that installation they will check the existing circuitry as they have to notify the local authority of a new 30 amp connection and certificate their work.

The external socket is supplied from a plug connected to a normal house socket. As said the cable is a light use cable rather than heavy ring main cable. The house was renovated maybe 15 years ago, so hopefully was done to normal regs. I don't worry about the electrics, they are modern.

Had the same problem with the extension cable to the granny charger. A mate (electrician) came by and replaced the extension with a more robust one. This eliminated the heat found when touching the socket. Now I hardly find any heat when touching the socket (16 amp). Still waiting for him to come by and put up my home charger, but then again, when you get service for free, one can´t push things....

The external socket is supplied from a plug connected to a normal house socket. As said the cable is a light use cable rather than heavy ring main cable. The house was renovated maybe 15 years ago, so hopefully was done to normal regs. I don't worry about the electrics, they are modern.
Ah that is less concerning now. The plug feeding the 'extended' socket should be fused to protect the cable so I guess your overheat problems were poor connections at your socket which has now been replaced. Was it not practical for your sparky to upgrade the cable from the house to the replaced socket as presumably you will still use this for other external purposes after you have the 7kW point installed? Sounds like your house wiring done 15 years ago should be okay. Good luck with your new charger when fitted.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom