How about a not so funny ball drop

sgt4hed

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
As you all know I picked up may car last week and I had the log book come through yesterday. All is good so far.

I phoned up my dealership to enquire about software updates for the infotainment system as the radio keeps pausing itself and automatically switching over to bluetooth when nothing is playing from the phone... weird problem.

The service guy asked for the reg, I eyeballed the reg from the windo of my house as I haven't committed it to memory yet and relayed this over the phone. The service guy stated "That reg doesn't exist"... mild panic sets in as I fumble for the V5 and read the reg off there thinking I may have misread it from the car, all is golden, car found and booked in.

I then, for some reason that I do not know went out to the car to double check that I had infact misread the number plate...

I hadn't...

The registration on the vehicle which you can see from my avatar was VE22... the reg on the VD is VK22... I have been driving around in a car for a week on false plates... uh oh...

I jumped in the car and headed straight to the dealership to let them know the problem, only to discover that nobody left there is authorised to make up plates, so currently I have a manual, petrol HS on my drive waiting for my plates and the software update to be done.

Moral of this story... Make sure you check that the plates on your car match the documents that you have been given by the dealership... Everything was correct and in line with the V5, EXECPT the plates on the car itself...

Scary how such a simple yet wholly important thing can be done wrong.

As you all know I picked up may car last week and I had the log book come through yesterday. All is good so far.

I phoned up my dealership to enquire about software updates for the infotainment system as the radio keeps pausing itself and automatically switching over to bluetooth when nothing is playing from the phone... weird problem.

The service guy asked for the reg, I eyeballed the reg from the windo of my house as I haven't committed it to memory yet and relayed this over the phone. The service guy stated "That reg doesn't exist"... mild panic sets in as I fumble for the V5 and read the reg off there thinking I may have misread it from the car, all is golden, car found and booked in.

I then, for some reason that I do not know went out to the car to double check that I had infact misread the number plate...

I hadn't...

The registration on the vehicle which you can see from my avatar was VE22... the reg on the VD is VK22... I have been driving around in a car for a week on false plates... uh oh...

I jumped in the car and headed straight to the dealership to let them know the problem, only to discover that nobody left there is authorised to make up plates, so currently I have a manual, petrol HS on my drive waiting for my plates and the software update to be done.

Moral of this story... Make sure you check that the plates on your car match the documents that you have been given by the dealership... Everything was correct and in line with the V5, EXECPT the plates on the car itself...

You'd think that would come out at insurance time? Are you on the free MG insurance for a week or so?

You'd think that would come out at insurance time? Are you on the free MG insurance for a week or so?
I insured the vehicle based on the finance paperwork which was the same as the V5... I didn't even think to look at the cars plates until this issue yesterday.

My mum had a broken number plate a few years back and the Honda garage made a new one up. It wasn't until I renewed her insurance and looked at the registration that I realized the front and back plates were different 🤔

The worry on this, is that some one is driving around on your correct plates, if they put the plates on wrong cars.
That is something I hadn't though of... I must remember to get them to look into that when I go and pick it up later on

I hadn't...

Interestingly, I got a speeding camera letter last week - for a location 30+ miles from where I was at the time of the incident. When I queried this, and sent an image of the front of my car, the incident was dismissed.

So - either someone has been accidentally given my license plate (similar to your situation) or someone is deliberately using a fake plate on their car. I hadn't considered it could have been accidental.

I hadn't...

That's completely appalling. You must have the patience of a saint! 😇

That's completely appalling. You must have the patience of a saint! 😇
Believe me if I wasn't also dealing with the fact my wife's car which we bought 6 weeks ago for 20k needs nearly 3 grands worth of work doing to it from missed things that the garage didn't spot when they did their inspections then I would be a very different person dealing with MG :ROFLMAO: but I am so exhausted arguing with CarShop that this was barely a blip on my radar lol. Hats off to my MG dealer though, they reimbursed me the fuel I had to put in the courtesy car they gave me and fully charged the ZS for me :)

Go to a car parts Web site and enter in the wrong plate number. It would soon show up the make/model of the car carrying that plate. VA right through to VZ (not VI) is listed for Severn Valley

You can also look up the MOT status for that plate on the GOV.UK site.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/?locale=en
Bit new for MOT but that gov.uk site will show tax status & clarify if it is on the road, which I bet it will be as I bet the apprentice with the number plate job has been daydreaming...

Bit new for MOT but that gov.uk site will show tax status & clarify if it is on the road, which I bet it will be as I bet the apprentice with the number plate job has been daydreaming...
The plate that was put on the car in error didn't exist on any system, that is what flagged the error to my attention.

Happens extremely regularly. Happened a few years ago when the wife got a second hand Nissan juke. I noticed before driving off and said to them as I had got the reg from them for insurance and it didn't match the car. Worst thing was they told me I was wrong and to ring insurance. I knew I wasn't but had to convince them then sit while they sorted a new set of plates.

It's not your mistake and you're still insured to drive and you won't get in trouble. Worst case you'd get stopped by police, and maybe have to run about proving it wasn't your fault. Human error and laziness in double checking things results in dealers regularly making this mistake

I’ve worked for a haulage firm who used to get their MAN’s from a well renowned dealer group who also had big car brand franchises as well like ,Maclaren and JLR
We got over 2 months 3 new trucks all on private plates
1 st was ok and reg was right
2nd came with reg on ok , then 2 weeks before the 3rd was due dealer phones boss up and says we’ve messed up and put the wrong reg on the second truck 🙄 and it had to be changed 🙄🙄🙄
Not a big deal you think , think again
Tacho head had to be reprogrammed with new reg and the worse and more important thing the service schedule sheet the mechanic had to do for the DVSA had to be changed and explained why the change .
So a simple upcock could have seriously affect my bosses OCS score with DVSA

Happens extremely regularly. Happened a few years ago when the wife got a second hand Nissan juke. I noticed before driving off and said to them as I had got the reg from them for insurance and it didn't match the car. Worst thing was they told me I was wrong and to ring insurance. I knew I wasn't but had to convince them then sit while they sorted a new set of plates.

It's not your mistake and you're still insured to drive and you won't get in trouble. Worst case you'd get stopped by police, and maybe have to run about proving it wasn't your fault. Human error and laziness in double checking things results in dealers regularly making this mistake
It should never happen on a used car in my opinion. Unless broken there should be no reason to put new number plates on the car... All that potential hassle just so the garage selling the car can put their name in tiny writing at the bottom of the plate... it's pathetic.

Original owner transfers cherished reg to new car? 🤷‍♂️
I did say "should"... I am an owner of a cherished plate and yet somehow I always manage to put the original plates back on the car when I sell it... there will always be an edge case but it shouldn't be that way.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom