How do I get bird etching off the roof of my mg4 trophy ?

timothy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi can anyone help me today I cleaned some bird poop off the roof of my mg4 trophy but I Was not quick enough to clean it off. So it left etching marks. Can anyone tell me how I can get it off?

@Pebble beat me to it!!

I bought some recently for the same thing, havent used it on our Camden grey yet. Have, however used it on a black Audi, and it does bring the bodywork up nicely.

If you only do one spot, you'll have to do the rest because the spot you've done will stand out as much cleaner 😁 it's very good for the money.

Amazon have it for £13.04 delivered currently

Meguiar's G17216EU Ultimate Compound Colour & Clarity Restorer 450ml for hand or machine polisher application

https://amzn.eu/d/aQ3MXGJ

Edit: you should use a good resin polish afterwards to seal it. Either the meguiars polish or I like AutoGlym High Definition polish.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My car is currently parked right under the flight path of the family of starlings being brought up in the eaves of my garage. My impression is that the stuff the dealer persuaded me to have applied, citing just this problem, is working pretty well. I know that's not much consolation if it's already happened, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Does anyone know if a hairdryer would work or should I get a professionally to try and sort it?
I wouldn't be using a hairdryer personally.

I would >>
• Clean the car thoroughly > (not in direct sunlight)
• Dry with microfiber towels >
• Use Meguiars Ultimate compound as needed > (buff in and off with a clean microfiber)
• Polish >
• Carnauba Wax to top seal

Does anyone know if a hairdryer would work or should I get a professionally to try and sort it?
No do not use a hairdryer, take it to a professional auto detailer if you are unsure. I keep some Autoglym bird dropping wipes in the car to use until I can clean off properly

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230429-171651~2.png
    Screenshot_20230429-171651~2.png
    248.9 KB · Views: 64
Do not be tempted to scrub at baked on bird poop !.
Bird poop can contain small partials of grit.
Birds like to peck and eat small partials of grit, it helps with their digestive system ?.
If you have a large patch of baked on poop, take a couple of square’s of kitchen roll and dampen it with warm water.
Apply some car shampoo to the damp area of the towel.
Place the damp towel over the poop and leave it for about 20 mins.
The warm water and shampoo with soften the baked in poop, then carefully use the towel to remove the softened poop.
Do not scrub at it or it will scratch the paint finish !.
The poop can be acidic and leave a stain on the panel, even though the poop has been removed.
A compound maybe required to remove the etching.
This can be avoided by removing the poop as soon as possible,
The longer it is left on the panel, the more chance you have if it causing staining to the paint work.
As said above, a good resin / wax polish is required to seal the paint, if you use cutting compound.

This is supposedly the stuff to use to remove etching marks (not the poo itself!)

I've seen videos of the hairdryer method and it does work but given you have a relatively new car, I wouldn't chance it

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back