How do I tow my ZS EV?

jlhhive

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
We’ve managed to get our zs ev bogged on my front lawn 😒 I want my neighbour to help tow me out but just need some advice. How do I do this? Usually a car would go into neutral but I don’t have that option. Has anyone dealt with this?

We’ve managed to get our zs ev bogged on my front lawn 😒 I want my neighbour to help tow me out but just need some advice. How do I do this? Usually a car would go into neutral but I don’t have that option. Has anyone dealt with this?
Put it in drive and have your neighbour on his phone and when he taken the slack up just release the brake and lightly push the go pedal

Thanks. Unfortunately We won’t be able to get anything in front.
I parked right up to the front porch so I could charge. I guess in could use the Jack to lift front wheels and put something under ? Carpet? Wooden planks?

Thanks. Unfortunately We won’t be able to get anything in front.
I parked right up to the front porch so I could charge. I guess in could use the Jack to lift front wheels and put something under ? Carpet? Wooden planks?
knock on all your neighbours get a few burley blokes stick the car in drive and push it just enough until the car takes over

Last edited:
the car does have a neutral gear
Yes, but it's a "virtual" neutral, not a mechanical disconnect of the motor from the wheels. So my understanding is that the motor will spin with full magnetic field [ edit: but see about 5 posts down ], meaning that at a modest speed, it will generate enough voltage that it will charge the main battery via the IGBT free-wheeling diodes. The charge would be uncontrolled, so a very sudden high load above a certain speed. Even if the car isn't in ready mode, so the battery is disconnected, the motor as generator would generate voltages high enough to potentially damage the motor controller and other high voltage components. That's why a real tow has to be done with the drive wheels off the road.

I wonder if that means you have to use a tilt tray for an all wheel drive EV? :unsure:

But at low speeds such as unbogging, the voltage generated would be less than the battery voltage, so that's not a problem. However, I suspect that spinning the motor at about 8x the wheel speed would make manual towing or pushing rather difficult.

Last edited:
Yes, but it's a "virtual" neutral, not a mechanical disconnect of the motor from the wheels. So my understanding is that the motor will spin with full magnetic field, meaning that at a modest speed, it will generate enough voltage that it will charge the main battery via the IGBT free-wheeling diodes. The charge would be uncontrolled, so a very sudden high load above a certain speed. Even if the car isn't in ready mode, so the battery is disconnected, the motor as generator would generate voltages high enough to potentially damage the motor controller and other high voltage components. That's why a real tow has to be done with the drive wheels off the road.

I wonder if that means you have to use a tilt tray for an all wheel drive EV? :unsure:

But at low speeds such as unbogging, the voltage generated would be less than the battery voltage, so that's not a problem. However, I suspect that spinning the motor at about 8x the wheel speed would make manual towing or pushing rather difficult.
It mentions 3mph max in the Gen 1 handbook.

That covers pushing it manually rather than towing.

That covers pushing it manually rather than towing.
I interpret that as it can't be towed, only pushed, or pulled by a winch etc.
I would think if it needs to be towed, it would be safer to have it in ready mode and in D, so that the generated power is fed into the battery as it does in regen, rather than build up and suddenly go elsewhere.

my understanding is that the motor will spin with full magnetic field...
Thinking about what neutral means, I now think that may be wrong. If it's possible and safe to switch to neutral at high speed, that implies that the motor controller would be active and powering the windings at an angle that only generates field, i.e. targeting zero torque. So it would always generate just enough voltage to balance the battery voltage. Maybe a tiny bit more to cover losses, so the battery SoC doesn't actually go down. But if that's true, then it would be safe to tow at speed.

My current guess is that the MG doesn't do this, and won't allow you to switch to neutral above a very low speed. But I'm confused now. I'm pretty sure that some Nissan Leaf hypermilers actually switch to neutral at speed so they can coast at the lowest energy usage. Yet you can't tow a Leaf with the front wheels on the ground, same as the MGs. If anyone can set me straight, I'd be grateful.

Bit of a different subject, but there is a way to “coast” in the MG ZS EV LR.

I find that if you set the target cruise speed to, let’s say, 50mph. The car will maintain this speed in a straight line whether going up or down hill (provided there isn’t a slower vehicle in front of you). If you blip the accelerator pedal on a downhill section the car will allow the speed to increase and not apply any braking until the speed returns to the target speed. If you accelerate to perhaps overtake a vehicle, when you release the accelerator pedal the car does not brake to return you to the target speed, instead it will coast down in speed until the target speed is reached.

This method of driving effectively gives you zero regen with no braking.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom