How is the battery range estimated?

Chrisd

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My 1 month old ZS LR is now showing 174 miles range at 80% charge, suggesting max range of 217 miles. This has only happened after a 600 mile, heavily laden trip.
Is this because the range based on real time information or this my car faulty?

It will work it out on the way you drive and temp have you ever done a full balance charge yet?

Reset your accumulative trip, what does that do to your predicted range on the GOM ?.
We have a Trophy 🏆 LR.
I always tend to charge from around the 40 ish % up to 80% on our car.
With both trips reset to zero, the App reports 212 miles of range.
The cars reports 211 strangely enough.
But without resetting the accumulative trip, I have seen it report an inflated 224 miles of range, but I prefer to work from a know level myself.
It is a prediction regardless.
But it does appear consistence in these predicted returns.
I always charge from home on a wall box, no rapid charging required ( as of yet ).
We have covered about 2,500 miles from our collection on the 18th March 22.
We have a longer trip to make next Tuesday down to Harlech in Wales.
We have made this trip about 6 times in the previous ZS EV we had, before the LR.
I WAS planning to fully charge to 100% over night, prior to the trip.
But I have an idea 💡 that I may just charge to the 80% mark, then see how that compares to a known result on the original ZS EV.
When we first had the original model, I made a mental note of when the amber low range warning came on when driving home.
I found that after the 3 - 4 trip and time, the amber low range light 💡 would come on earlier on in the return trip home.
These journeys where evenly spread out over the two year period and the total 18,000 miles we covered in the car before upgrading to the ZS LR.
The trips where made at similar times of the year and over similar distances covered.
On the last trip, we arrived home with only about 25 miles of range left.
A lot less than when we made the first trip !.
Some battery 🪫 degradation present of course at this point.
It will be very interesting to see what the LR returns home with, after the trip next week.
Before exchanging the previous ZS EV it would display an estimated range of 154 miles of range, after a full charge and balance.
Default mode of normal and Regen level 3.
Plenty of cushion then with the reported 212 miles at 80% on the LR model.
I do find the predicted range to be fairly accurate on the whole, it was pretty consistent on the previous model to be fair.

Also a balance /equalisation charge can take 1.5h according to manual after 100% is achieved
Our previous ZS EV would take anything from 45 mins to 1 hour ( ish ) to balance after a full charge on the original factory software, when after the car received the latest BMS this balance time increased a LOT !.
Even after many balance sessions, the quickest balance time would still take about 2 / 2.5 hours to complete.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom