How long for full charge with granny charger?

Indicators as to charging times (and many of the answers to your threads) can be found via the tips and solutions already posted: Got a question/issue? Read here first *MG4 Hints, Tips and Solutions*

The user manual is linked there, & page 176 onward offers a rough guideline for both battery pack types. It's downloadable as a PDF from MG's site.

Basic arithmetic will give you a clue
Granny about 2.0kwh (13a socket)
Fast about 6.4kwh (home charging station)

Both rough but not far away

Divide battery size by these ...SR is 50.8 usable, LR 61.7 usable to get a very rough idea of 0 to 100% timing

If you want granny 10% chunk timings for SR 50.8 ÷10 = 5.08 ÷ 2.0 = 2 hours 30 minutes roughly

(Also going forward the search facility is also handy to see if any other owners has raised the same or similar question)

Last edited:
This guy says it takes over 26hrs for a full charge with a granny charger?

Depends, start estimated charge from say 30 % ( I doubt anyone will charge from zero, have not heard of any yet). So as above approx 17.5 hrs. Unless of course you charge it to the recommended 80% instead of 100%..... and then there is the ambient temperature... did you preheat the battery... is there a east wind etc etc.

I've had my standard range on the MG branded 2kw granny charger for over 25 hours a few times. The car reports it as charging at 1.78kw whereas the energy monitoring smart plug shows 1998 watts.

I think those losses are low ... 90% efficiency from a granny charge lead? No chance. 80% is more likely ... 90% is closer to the mark for a 7kW wall box.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 528 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back