How many MG4 owners are new to the world of EVs?

How Many EVS have you owned or is the MG4 your first.

• This is my First

Votes: 90 73.2%

Votes: 25 20.3%

Votes: 4 3.3%

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 5 or more

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
never a petrolhead, but:
70's/80's - various nutty things,
Frogeye Sprite
co'y cars (heaps - most of them)
Pug 205 XUD9
Civic vti's (Honda)
LandCrusher (Toyota)
Espace (Renault) in which the ECU would randomly cease functioning for random time periods
Jazz (Honda)
Hybrid
Honda e,
Id.3
SESR.

The ID.3 has (imo) a poor UI/UX ('User Interface'/'User Experience') which ruins an otherwise good car. The MG4 reviews looked good for the price, so test drove Trophy and ordered one on the spot, but switched to SR after discovering it's battery is LFP. Handling/manoeuvring and UI/UX of the mg4 is somewhat better than the ID.3 and the price somewhat less; a proper no-brainer. The Honda e is by some margin the best car i've ever driven, but sadly shortish on range. E-to-ice driving feels like ICE to steam traction tractor. Hydrogen for cars: very much doubt it will become feasible for twenty years or so.
The MG4's a big wakeup call to ev manufacturers outside China...

We're one of the many original ZS EV owners who changed out when the 3yr PCP came up. Perfect timing, as the MG4 came out just at the right time :). We also have a Kia e-Niro 4+, which as been our long-range car for the last couple of years. Now both cars have pretty much identical range, so my wife can take her MG4 whereever she needs to go, leaving me with my e-Niro for work trips. Before EV, I drove a Volvo V70, and my wife a Skoda fabia. We've saved so much money going EV! it seemed like a lot of money when we traded in the old fabia (only got £800 for it) but the new car paid for itself fully over the 3 years, and we got to drive brand new EV in the meantime :).

never a petrolhead, but:
70's/80's - various nutty things,
Frogeye Sprite
co'y cars (heaps - most of them)
Pug 205 XUD9
Civic vti's (Honda)
LandCrusher (Toyota)
Espace (Renault) in which the ECU would randomly cease functioning for random time periods
Jazz (Honda)
Hybrid
Honda e,
Id.3
SESR.

The ID.3 has (imo) a poor UI/UX ('User Interface'/'User Experience') which ruins an otherwise good car. The MG4 reviews looked good for the price, so test drove Trophy and ordered one on the spot, but switched to SR after discovering it's battery is LFP. Handling/manoeuvring and UI/UX of the mg4 is somewhat better than the ID.3 and the price somewhat less; a proper no-brainer. The Honda e is by some margin the best car i've ever driven, but sadly shortish on range. E-to-ice driving feels like ICE to steam traction tractor. Hydrogen for cars: very much doubt it will become feasible for twenty years or so.
The MG4's a big wakeup call to ev manufacturers outside China...
Yep. I too test drove the ID3 and immediately disliked it. Nothing was that impressive and the price is ridiculous.
When I tested the MG4 Immediately liked it and ordered an SE on the spot. Such an impressive car and really good looking as well.

Yep. I too test drove the ID3 and immediately disliked it. Nothing was that impressive and the price is ridiculous.
When I tested the MG4 Immediately liked it and ordered an SE on the spot. Such an impressive car and really good looking as well.

I think people were expecting so much more from the ID3, especially the UI and the Interior, it just like it had been trimmed back below what you would expect from a VW

This will be my first EV, honestly I'm a bit scared as I don't think there could be a bigger difference between it and the only other car I've ever owned and sadly sold last week...a 1960 Morris Minor!
as remarkable wrote(-ish) - holy sh!t !
Presumably a 'moggie thou' with the 948 engine?
Well, at least your days are done with having to change the big-end shells on the A1 verge (or the gearbox at Scotch corner...). Only a bit of public charger useability to get your head around, which is generally ok.
Congratulations - and may the charging gods be with you.

I drove an ID3, as I was pondering, the sales man said, "see its the same size as a Golf, handles better but with the interior of a Passat"....... Interior of a Passat a selling point? I didn't stop laughing for ages....

I'm unexpectedly on my second EV as I jumped for an early ZS when the local dealer was doing a good deal. Then after my two year service I unexpectedly found myself the owner of an MG4 SR when they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.. A combination of retirement, saving up and wanting an EV for some of the usual reasons, and having solar panels to help me charge in summer.

Previous to that I had a succession of cheapish (< £4k) second hand cars starting with a £100 Marina (a Morris Minor would have been far too expensive. ;-)) and ending with selling my 12 year old Hyundai i20.

MG4 standard is my first EV, had it for a week now, and what a brilliant car it is! I'm getting about 185 mile real range driving motorways and London at 3.7 kw/mile. Switching to home charging has been much easier than I thought (Octopus Intelligent and ohme home pro). Previous car Citroen C4 diesel, 850 miles from tank in summer and 147k trouble free driving but impending expansion of ULEZ in August gave me the nudge to change cars.

A big part of buying an ev is that I wanted to reduce my carbon footprint. The MG4 is really the only car on the market that gives the range I needed at an OK price.

Just before Christmas i took delivery of my MG4 Trophy in white and overall i am delighted with it. No oil leak or major issues, just a few glitches which will get ironed out in time.

I came from an Audi SQ2 (same engine and 4 wheel drive system as a golf R) so i did wonder if i would miss the power of my old car. I am finding that i am enjoying the MG4 drive and the transition has not left me to regret my choice. The MG4 has a kind of hot hatch feel to it, and enough punch from the motor to make driving fun.

I am certainly enjoying the be benefits of vastly better fuel economy (previously car averaged 32mpg) and not having to visit garages. My car "fuel" cost is around a 1/3 of what it was and that is in the winter (range around 220 miles currently). In the drier summer month this can only get better.

Hope all of you waiting for your cars get them soon and enjoy them as much as i am. Dont stress about the little things that may be wrong as they will het sorted in time.

as remarkable wrote(-ish) - holy sh!t !
Presumably a 'moggie thou' with the 948 engine?
Well, at least your days are done with having to change the big-end shells on the A1 verge (or the gearbox at Scotch corner...). Only a bit of public charger useability to get your head around, which is generally ok.
Congratulations - and may the charging gods be with you.
I'm hoping there'll be no collapsing trunnions on large roundabouts too!

We traded a hybrid clio in for the MG4. 2020 clio and only a 4 speed box in it. Was revving its arse off when you went up hills so thought we need to change it. The other car we have is a Ford Mustang GT. One extreme to the other at our house
Almost the same as you- trading in a 10 year Yaris hybrid for the MG4 - like your clio, foot to the floor and screams like mad but did not deliver the goods. Looking forward to collecting before end of week

We had an early BMW i3 with the range extender motor for four and a bit years before getting our MG4. Loved the BMW and still miss the true one pedal driving it had - it was so smooth from standstill and also very quick off the mark if you wanted it. As one of the early ones it had a tiny battery with a range of between 60 and 70 miles depending on time of year so we mainly only used it for local journeys. The range was the thing that prompted the change. We had a deposit down on an ex-demo Kia Soul but then we tried the MG4 and I much preferred the way it drove and my wife much preferred its looks. We're very happy with it and the way it manages longer trips. Since we got it we've done a 370 mile round trip to my son's in Cardiff and are currently in Scotland over 350 miles from home.

strewth; alexiamarnie with a moggie thou and SueH with a... Marina.

MG could make some good pr from this...
strewth; alexiamarnie with a moggie thou and SueH with a... Marina.

MG could make some good pr from this...
Think of Morris’s pr if they’d only known …… OK I know - I’m a dreamer 😂😂😂

We started with a NIU N1S to cut the cost for my daily commute. The small e-moped just gave a range of about 38 miles. It was enought, but we soon decided to try a used Renault Twizy. Worked as well as a city car and was even fun during summer. A little more confident we sold the NIU and purchased an electric Smart for4. Sold the Twizy and got the MG4. So for now we are about 2.5 years into electric vehicles. Almost no complaints. PV also helps a lot.

PS: Occasionally, I do drive ICE at work and it always feels like they are a bit broken. Especially starting cold.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back