How much charge did I get?

bear1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Is there a way of finding out, through the car or app how much charge you've got on your last charge?
I use a friend's charger and then reimburse him. He usually gets this info through the charger but occasionally that fails or he forgets to look.
So far I've calculated it, but I'd be happier with the real figure.
Thanks.

You can calculate how much went into the car ... (End% - Start%) x Usable battery. Example:

SR
(100% - 30%) x 50.8kWh = 70% of 50.8 = 35.56kWh (with a tolerance of ±0.5%)

LR
(100% - 30%) x 61.7kWh = 70% of = 43.19kWh (with a tolerance of ±0.5%)

If you have prior results you can map the charge efficiency ... Your calculation / His app data ... for each charge, then work out an average. So the next time the app doesn't record the data, just take your calculation and divide it by the average charge efficiency and you'll be close enough to how much leccy you actually used. :)

youll be better using the figtures from the charger as my charger shows 7.3kw charge but the car gets more like 6.4kw so if you rely on the car you will shortchange your friend

Give him £10 and buy him a beer 😊

youll be better using the figtures from the charger as my charger shows 7.3kw charge but the car gets more like 6.4kw so if you rely on the car you will shortchange your friend
That's ~87% charge efficiency. My charger never has that much of a difference ... 6.4kW at the car is typically 6.8-6.9kW at the charge point, so ~93% efficiency. (Obviously the charge rate as you approach 100% reduces so the efficiency degrades ... that's why my average is ~90%).

I think i can only adjust the Ohme to a 'solar' charge level which is like a granny charger. I could limit it in the car to 16A i guess

We usually do, it's just when this hasn't happened it would be useful to have a back-up method more accurate than my calculations.

The higher the amperage you can deliver, the better in general will be the charge efficiency. So 32A charging (~7kW) will be better than 16A. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back