How Secure Are MG Cars?

Wendwell

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have just read an article in today's The Observer with the headline Gone in 20 seconds: how ‘smart keys’ have fuelled a new wave of car crime .

MG models were not mentioned but I see no reason to think they too have not been stolen by thieves able to emulate the electronic codes that open doors and allow driving.

Has anyone experienced a theft or attempted theft using an emulator?
Any suggestions, other than adding a bar lock to the steering wheel, to reduce the chances of such theft?

If anyone from MG or its dealer network reads this, I would appreciate a response from the company.

I think it's more the prestige cars are targeted not the humble MG . Last time I looked at the list of stolen vehicles Range Rover, BMW and Mercedes topped the stolen cars , much more of a worldwide market for them . I'm about as worried for my MG5 as I was with my last 2 Hyundai Ioniqs....zero :)

I think it's more the prestige cars are targeted not the humble MG . Last time I looked at the list of stolen vehicles Range Rover, BMW and Mercedes topped the stolen cars , much more of a worldwide market for them . I'm about as worried for my MG5 as I was with my last 2 Hyundai Ioniqs....zero :)
Sadly the thefts are not limited to more expensive models. From September last year:

"The MG5 hasn’t fared much better this year either, with 11 registered thefts this year, making it the third most targeted vehicle this year."

The model most frquently stolen in the Nissan Leaf which sells for a similar price to the MG5. It might be that thieves think lower price cars are less likely to have tracking devices. ?

Am I wrong in thinking that our keys have a much lower range? I need to be basically right beside the car for it to see the key so if the key is at the back of the house, how likely is it the signal could be piggy backed?

Am I wrong in thinking that our keys have a much lower range? I need to be basically right beside the car for it to see the key so if the key is at the back of the house, how likely is it the signal could be piggy backed?
Unfortunately you’re wrong, just look up ‘relay car theft’

Oh I understand relay car theft...but that requires the car key's signal to be strong enough to pick up (otherwise sticking them in a Faraday pouch wouldn't work either). I guess if the relay uses a signal booster or something then it might do it...but I just wondered if the key only emits a very low level signal which might not be detectable over distances more than a meter or two

but I just wondered if the key only emits a very low level signal which might not be detectable over distances more than a meter or two
Correct, but that’s no good if one guy picks up your key signal close by and sends it to another standing beside your car, so if you’re worried keep the key in a pouch when not driving

Am I wrong in thinking that our keys have a much lower range?
In my experience, yes. I have accidentally opened all the windows. with "hilarious" results, from inside my house. When I mentioned this on another thread somebody said they'd managed to unlock their car from something like 50 metres away, in the open air.

In my experience, yes. I have accidentally opened all the windows. with "hilarious" results, from inside my house. When I mentioned this on another thread somebody said they'd managed to unlock their car from something like 50 metres away, in the open air.
Yes, when pressing a button on the fob, but the keyless entry/start signal has a much lower range…

Sadly the thefts are not limited to more expensive models. From September last year:

"The MG5 hasn’t fared much better this year either, with 11 registered thefts this year, making it the third most targeted vehicle this year."

The model most frquently stolen in the Nissan Leaf which sells for a similar price to the MG5. It might be that thieves think lower price cars are less likely to have tracking devices. ?
I sorry but the link in your post doesn't work for me so I don't know what the figures that you're trying to to show.
I have a list form 2023 :-

1. Ford Fiesta - 5,976 stolen (DOWN 0.1% compared to 2022)

2. Ford Focus - 2,120 stolen (DOWN 3.0% compared to 2022)

3. VW Golf - 2,038 stolen (UP 0.1% compared to 2022)

4. Mercedes-Benz C-Class - 1,786 stolen (UP 29.6% compared to 2022)

5. Range Rover Sport - 1,631 stolen (DOWN 28.6% compared to 2022)

6. Range Rover Evoque - 1,489 stolen (DOWN 2.8% compared to 2022)

7. BMW 3 Series - 1,466 stolen (DOWN 0.8% compared to 2022)

8. Vauxhall Corsa - 1,110 stolen (DOWN 13.3% compared to 2022)

9. Vauxhall Astra - 1,086 stolen (DOWN 12.4% compared to 2022)

10. Land Rover Discovery Sport - 954 stolen (UP 15.2% compared to 2022)

I can't see how 11 MG5 thefts makes it " the third most targeted vehicle " ?
Or the model most frequently stolen is the Nissan Leaf ?
Of course we must take into account that not all reported cars stolen are actually stolen :) ,

Rumor is the Hyundai one isn't even relay theft, sounds like the algorithm for generating the codes has been cracked and there's now a device that can emulate the key using the probes the car sends out when looking for the key to know which response to send back.

This is called security by obscurity. Yes, prestige/desirable cars will be targeted but people will nick what they can nick.

Someone tried to nick my ZS. when they couldn’t they went over the road and successfully took my neighbours C class Merc.

As someone who has designed vehicle security electronics and still has contacts in that area, any LF/433MHz security system should be considered vulnerable to relay attack. Faraday cases do work. Test them regularly though as they do fail over time.

Also most ‘keyless’ cars that are stolen are unlocked at the time. Always make sure it’s locked kids.

I have just read an article in today's The Observer with the headline Gone in 20 seconds: how ‘smart keys’ have fuelled a new wave of car crime .

MG models were not mentioned but I see no reason to think they too have not been stolen by thieves able to emulate the electronic codes that open doors and allow driving.

Any suggestions, other than adding a bar lock to the steering wheel, to reduce the chances of such theft?

If anyone from MG or its dealer network reads this, I would appreciate a response from the company.
Just to be safe, keep keys in a tin with a lid, blocks all rfid signals. I also have a steering wheel bar clamp as a visual deterrent. It may only be a humble MG but it's my investment/transport/pleasure vehicle and I have a great deal to lose if some light fingered moron takes a fancy to it

I don't think any of our MG's are at risk to be honest! To be seen cruising on the west side with the tunes banging in a 5 with your homies, and trying to outrun the feds wouldn't do your street cred much good! 😁

I had the same concern as you. We purchased “Faraday” pouches off Amazon. Remember to put the spare key in one too! They come in pairs. They work 😇 put your key in it & go out to your car , the key is now useless. It blocks the signal sent by either key every 60 seconds. The thieves pull your door handle to wake up the car then try & amplify the key signal from somewhere in your house & boom your cars gone. Despite the smug “its only an MG” comments I also got we have 2, an X Power & Trophy long range so I wasnt taking the chance. Pouches sell for around £9.00 for 2. Hope this helps.

I sorry but the link in your post doesn't work for me so I don't know what the figures that you're trying to to show.
I have a list form 2023 :-

1. Ford Fiesta - 5,976 stolen (DOWN 0.1% compared to 2022)

2. Ford Focus - 2,120 stolen (DOWN 3.0% compared to 2022)

3. VW Golf - 2,038 stolen (UP 0.1% compared to 2022)

4. Mercedes-Benz C-Class - 1,786 stolen (UP 29.6% compared to 2022)

5. Range Rover Sport - 1,631 stolen (DOWN 28.6% compared to 2022)

6. Range Rover Evoque - 1,489 stolen (DOWN 2.8% compared to 2022)

7. BMW 3 Series - 1,466 stolen (DOWN 0.8% compared to 2022)

8. Vauxhall Corsa - 1,110 stolen (DOWN 13.3% compared to 2022)

9. Vauxhall Astra - 1,086 stolen (DOWN 12.4% compared to 2022)

10. Land Rover Discovery Sport - 954 stolen (UP 15.2% compared to 2022)

I can't see how 11 MG5 thefts makes it " the third most targeted vehicle " ?
Or the model most frequently stolen is the Nissan Leaf ?
Of course we must take into account that not all reported cars stolen are actually stolen :) ,
Sorry the link is not working. If you want to try again - REVEALED: UK’s most stolen EVs and how to keep yours safe! - I have checked and this works. From the article - "The study was carried out by car leasing company Leasing Options using Freedom of Information Requests (FOI)"

The issue seems to be access to canbus. The lack of secure connections over the canbus system.

Kia and hyundai have a serious problem - the ioniq 5 and ev6, niro certainly impacted - I've read that the key system has a small set of rolling codes which can be brute forced quickly to open the car and then the gameboy allows quick and easy access to fake the car into thinking the key is present. Doesnt seem to need physical connection to the car.

Other brands have issues when the canbus wires are physically accessed.
toyota and lexus have an issue with access to canbus wires being behind a headlamp - easy to get to.

LR/RR are being stolen with a small hole made in the tailgate to access the canbus wires.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom