How Secure Are MG Cars?

I worked in a Citroen dealership for 14 years and never heard of a Citroen being stolen. One customer had two Mercs stolen so bought a Citroen, problem solved. Simples!

I have taken the rather retro step of etching the number plate into the front and rear screens plus the side windows. The markings are highlighted on the side windows and if a thief wants to steal my car to sell on, then to prevent the new 'owner' (or a mechanic when it goes for an MOT) finding out the car's true identity, they will either have to polish out all the etchings or replace all the glass. I'm sure most thieves (and/or their partners in crime) would know this and find an easier target.

I have just read an article in today's The Observer with the headline Gone in 20 seconds: how ‘smart keys’ have fuelled a new wave of car crime .

MG models were not mentioned but I see no reason to think they too have not been stolen by thieves able to emulate the electronic codes that open doors and allow driving.

Has anyone experienced a theft or attempted theft using an emulator?
Any suggestions, other than adding a bar lock to the steering wheel, to reduce the chances of such theft?

If anyone from MG or its dealer network reads this, I would appreciate a response from the company.
I've left mine unlocked for 2 days outside my house by accident and nobody bothered with it. They probably think, chinese MG, who would want one lol (I do)

I can definitely recommend this key box that we use. It’s perfect for all your car keys and stops any chance of theft using the relay.

IMG_5038.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a faraday key box on temu $20 , did a test next to car with keys in box then opened the lid car unlocked so it works and it came with two portable key fob holders .
Funny, I did exactly the same test. 😂

Sat in the car with the key in the box and the MG4 said “key not present”. Opened the box and took the key out and like magic the key’s seen by the car. I just wanted to be 100% sure that it worked.

I bought one from Amazon four years ago. After reading this thread I thought I'd better try it again. I stood next to the car with the key in the pouch and unlocked the car with the door button. Worn out, who knows when it stopped working.
I've put the key in a round metal sweet tin we carry in the glove box. It works fine. I won't be buying anything else.
Does yours have 2 pockets ? If so One is protected and the other not so you can use the key. Mine also from 4 years ago works fine still.

Does yours have 2 pockets ? If so One is protected and the other not so you can use the key. Mine also from 4 years ago works fine still.
Yes, it has two pockets. Like I said it's worn out after four years use. My wife has one too. It gets little use and still works.

I've found that scratching a gate catch down each side of the car while reversing, and scratching and crunching all four corners of the car really helps keep the thieves away. It also makes sure the residual value of the car is rock bottom, and who wouldn't want that?!?! 😭

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom