How to check state of charge while your charging

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi my car MG5 SR 2021 there as been on this forum many threads on how to check the state of charge while it’s charging opening the boot touching the small button on the door handle pressing the door lock / unlock switch inside on the drivers door and others,
Well yesterday my car had its first service and the systems reset so the brake lights work at times in regen 3.
So today I was sitting in the car at a charge point while charging for a short while waiting for the wife, and I put my foot on the brake pedal and guess what the screen lit up to show the state of charging never in the last year have I ever seen that happen before !!!
Les

Hi my car MG5 SR 2021 there as been on this forum many threads on how to check the state of charge while it’s charging opening the boot touching the small button on the door handle pressing the door lock / unlock switch inside on the drivers door and others,
Well yesterday my car had its first service and the systems reset so the brake lights work at times in regen 3.
So today I was sitting in the car at a charge point while charging for a short while waiting for the wife, and I put my foot on the brake pedal and guess what the screen lit up to show the state of charging never in the last year have I ever seen that happen before !!!
Les

first of all happy birthday MG. Now I can imagine there is about to be a wave of unrest in the five population as vehicles are prodded poked and stamped upon all over the place 🤣🤣.
I for one always thought the key had to be employed to get a read out of the state of charge. So many thanks for the enlightenment, you’ve answered a question I never knew I might want to ask.
ive got a level driveway off an ”A” road so not supposed to reverse on to it anyway therefor I’ve never noticed any such brake squeal. (I either turn in the driveway or reverse off the main road)
Nice car there looking prim and cute in her birthday polish 🤩

My SR 5 does the same, but what I really want to be able to do is to scroll through the displays to see the one that gives the battery voltage and current draw. That way I could check the rate at which my 7kw home charger is actually working. I can "start" the car (with brake pedal depressed) but that just gives me a display that says "charger connected" in the centre of the display, and at that point pressing the up/down arrows to get the other displays (tyre pressures/temperatures, mileage/miles per kwh etc) don't do anything. I am sure I have seen on various messages displays that show the voltage and current draw (negative in the case of charging) from which power consumption can be calculated, but I have yet to discover how to get to it! Any advice is welcome.

Hi I don’t think you can tell in the car how many KW is going in, and the banner telling you the car is plugged in is a safety feature I think as you can’t engage drive while it’s still pugged in as far as I know, anyhow I can check my rate of charge on my charger (ZAPPI) but also on the meter you can check it if you have a smart meter that is,I haven’t got a smart meter as yet but I know others have
Les

My SR 5 does the same, but what I really want to be able to do is to scroll through the displays to see the one that gives the battery voltage and current draw. That way I could check the rate at which my 7kw home charger is actually working. I can "start" the car (with brake pedal depressed) but that just gives me a display that says "charger connected" in the centre of the display, and at that point pressing the up/down arrows to get the other displays (tyre pressures/temperatures, mileage/miles per kwh etc) don't do anything. I am sure I have seen on various messages displays that show the voltage and current draw (negative in the case of charging) from which power consumption can be calculated, but I have yet to discover how to get to it! Any advice is welcome.
Just press 'OK' to dismiss the messages, then the up/down works as normal.

Magic!!! Thank you very much. This is just what I needed. I have just tested it (currently on charge) and it works a treat. At 87% charge and counting, It is pulling 393 volts at 17 amps which gives 6.68 kw. Not bad for a 7kw charger running in a temperature of about 3 degrees!

Well I too will say thank you as I too didn’t know this trick, but that’s the idea and the purpose of these forums as you can usually, get an answer or opinion to any question that pops up about almost anything, which it appears, is more than you can get from lots of manufacturers,suppliers, or dealerships and that also so applies to lots of other types of products as well as motor vehicles of most makes
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom