How to stop AC charging?

PVchris

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I'm sorry if I'm being obtuse, but since the 'charging whilst unlocked' update, I cannot find a way of stopping the charge to remove to type 2 connector. I've searched the forum and been through the handbook several times, but short of popping the bonnet and pulling the emergency release, I'm stumped!
Obviously before the update I just unlocked, but now?
Can someone please advise as it's driving me mad!!

On our gen 1 ZS we just unlock the car, you can hear the cable release and it can be removed. If you don't remove it within a certain time it locks again and continues to charge.

I have read that gen 2 models have a more complicated system if pressing buttons in the information screen but I can't assist with that

I'm sorry if I'm being obtuse, but since the 'charging whilst unlocked' update, I cannot find a way of stopping the charge to remove to type 2 connector. I've searched the forum and been through the handbook several times, but short of popping the bonnet and pulling the emergency release, I'm stumped!
Obviously before the update I just unlocked, but now?
Can someone please advise as it's driving me mad!!
We are talking ZS EV Gen 1 here of course ?.
When you are ready to stop the charge.
Have you tried locking the car with the fob, then unlock it again straight away ?.
Stand at the front of the car and you should hear the charge port pin unlock from the charging cable, as soon as you hear it disengage, pull out the charging lead.
If you do not remove it straight away, it will re lock the cable and try charging again.
My Gen1 never had the “Charging When Un-Locked” facility at first.
But after the BMS update was done 13 months later, the feature came on line.
Nothing directly due to the BMS update, but the dealer updated every thing that was available to update at the time.
Our car was one of the early adopters ZS EV’s back in 2019.
I never remember having a problem getting the cable to release, either before or after the update to be honest?.
Try the lock / unlock from the fob and be ready to pull out the charging cable.

Sorry it is a 2020 MK1, and have tried the lock and unlock thing using the fob, but the charge port now doesn't unlock until at 100%.
Strange thing is I only have to slightly put a little pressure on the emergency release cable and it stops charging and unlocks - but there must be an easier way!
Can't even turn it off at the Zappi as far as I can see!?!

I don't have the update so unlocking releases the plug. But on SWMBO's MG5, which locks the plug in without locking the car, I find that unlocking the car on the door button then opening a door to prevent the doors auto re-locking seems to keep the plug unlocked for longer. I'm wondering if the same may apply to the ZS.

If the charger is untethered, have you tried unplugging the charger end first? Then unlocking the car.
A charger will normally not let you remove the plug until it has been disconnected from the car.

On the MK2 ZSEV you can get in the car and stop the charge via the battery management panel of the infotainment screen, or on the iSmart app but I know the MK1 doesn't have that... on the ZS we don't have the unlock to stop charge function... something I would really like them to add in a future update lol.

Hi Chris, I have a 2021 Gen 1 car as well and all I need to do is press once on the unlock button and that releases the lock on the charging cable - SIMPLES.

ok here goes:

1 open the my energy app
2 touch the icon that shows a picture of a car, on the left
3 now on the right of the screen is the stop button.

HTH

Dave
Unfortunately don't have a Zappi app as don't have a hub so not internet connected - only got buttons on unit to play with ...
But thanks for the try!

Last edited:
I have a ZS EV Mk 1, with the updates (not all were applied when I first got it), and unlocking definitely stops the charge (though it doesn't show as stopped on the display). But I hear the "zzzzt" sound of the plug unlocking. After about 10-20 seconds if I don't unplug, the "zzzzt" happens again, plug is locked, and charging resumes.

If yours doesn't do this, something is wrong. Maybe you don't have all the updates needed. if you're technically minded, you could get a Bluetooth dongle and download the free unofficial Thai app (there is a long thread on this in the resources forum), and find out what firmware versions you have, then compare with what others have reported. That might give you the confidence to get your dealer to update fully to comfort 2. I believe that the dealer should be able to bill MG for the time to do this.

A charger will normally not let you remove the plug until it has been disconnected from the car.

On the MK2 ZSEV you can get in the car and stop the charge via the battery management panel of the infotainment screen, or on the iSmart app but I know the MK1 doesn't have that... on the ZS we don't have the unlock to stop charge function... something I would really like them to add in a future update lol.
Or when your MK2 gets updated, you can just unlock the car, and it will stop charging and unlock the type-2 connector.

If you lock the car again, it will resume charging, and also, if you do not remove the cable it will resume charging after 1 minute as well even if you do not lock the car.

Massively easier in the morning, unlock car, take Type-2 out, close the charge port and lid, and get in the car and drive off.

And that's exactly how it works with the Mk 1, when all the firmware is updated.
Not with mine!

Although I have finally figured out a way of stopping my Zappi,but when we're on a PodPoint or Pulse charger, the only way to stop the charging is the emergency release cable.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom