HS PHEV Charging issues

sarum

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I have a HS PHEV and am asking what is the correct charge rate for it. My home charger is Hypervolt which has been tested and can deliver 7kW/32amp, but my car is only charging at 3.5kW/16amp, with a charge time of 3hrs 55mins from 6% left in battery. MG have informed me it should charge at 6.6kW. I have used a 11kW charger and it is still taking 3hrs 51mins to charge. Can anyone advise me please?

Hi there whilst your charger may deliver7kw, but your car only charges at 3.5 kw. So even if you use an 11kw charger, the car will only take 3.5kw
A lot of HS PHEV only use the Granny charger, as the 7kw charger isn't much use.
So those charging times looks about right.
I would question who told you that it charged at 6.6kw.
Sorry if this is not the news you want to hear.

Hi there whilst your charger may deliver7kw, but your car only charges at 3.5 kw. So even if you use an 11kw charger, the car will only take 3.5kw
A lot of HS PHEV only use the Granny charger, as the 7kw charger isn't much use.
So those charging times looks about right.
I would question who told you that it charged at 6.6kw.
Sorry if this is not the news you want to hear.
Hi, Thank you for your reply, and yes every different charger I am trying it is returning at 3.5kW. I asked my MG dealer who said they asked MG and got the reply all MGs are limited to 7kW, so I took that as correct! Thanks

Is this correct that the car only returns a 3-5 kw charge and not 7 kw? If this is the case then this car is very disappointing. I just installed a 11kw charger today.

As a rule of thumb, plug in hybrid vehicles (PHEVs) will charge at a maximum rate of 3.7kW ( this is limited by the charger on the car) giving a mile per hour charge of around 9-10 miles. Most full battery electric vehicles will charge at a higher rate of 7kW ( again limited by the charger on the car) giving a mile per hour charge of around 18-20. It is worth noting that the vehicle determines the charge rate not the chargepoint ( techincally your hypervolt is not a charger but a charge point as the actual charger is in each car, but it seems that everyone refers to the chargepoints as chargers).
Putting a MG PHEV on a 7kW charge will not increase the rate of charge.
Some newer EVs are stating to have bigger AC charger on them to utilise 11kwh or 22 kwh but very few.
So the MG ZS and MG5 EV cars only have 7kwh chargers in them and that's the maximum they can take.
The MG HS PHEV has only a 3.6 charger .
This is slightly better than the granny charger that only delivers 2.3kwh.
On a plus note if you are getting a 11kw charger ( chargepoint) installed you are future proofing it for any future BEV you may have.
I am no expert , but this is what i have found out when reading this forum, i hope this helps.

Thanks for the explanation jem111111. My next car will definitely be 100% electric as there is absolutely no or little future in petrol/diesel driven vehicles.

I knew I was moving and have just bought and moved into a new house, so I did not want to waste any money installing a charger in my old place. Somehow I was under the illusion that it would only take 3 hours to fully charge the car using a 7KW and above charger. I really don't know where this comes from, even the electrician who installed the charger today was confused.

I shall be honest had I been 100% clear about this I would never have bought the car. 7 hours is too long for a measly 52km, especially when the car REFUSES to drive on electric a lot of the time on short journeys. Now that is a waste of money.

Thanks for the explanation jem111111. My next car will definitely be 100% electric as there is absolutely no or little future in petrol/diesel driven vehicles.

I knew I was moving and have just bought and moved into a new house, so I did not want to waste any money installing a charger in my old place. Somehow I was under the illusion that it would only take 3 hours to fully charge the car using a 7KW and above charger. I really don't know where this comes from, even the electrician who installed the charger today was confused.

I shall be honest had I been 100% clear about this I would never have bought the car. 7 hours is too long for a measly 52km, especially when the car REFUSES to drive on electric a lot of the time on short journeys. Now that is a waste of money.
Hi Norhund, What I have found out since getting my HS PHEV is when the heating is on the petrol engine has to be on to give you heat, but air conditioning runs on electric, so great in summer but no good in winter!

Hi Norhund , it will probably take about 4 hours to fully charge when you use the 7kwh charger as you will be delivering approx 3.7 kwh into the car , so its not too bad.
Now the refusing to to drive in electric mode a lot of the times is an interesting one. I think its been covered in the plug in forum , but basically in hybrid mode it should work in EV only until 24 mph ( approx 38 km ) then the ICE ( petrol engine) will start.
You can if you wish when you get in the car press the EV button ( by the gear selector) and this forces it to only use electric even if you go above 24 mph ( 38km), so you could use it in this mode until the battery runs out, then the ICE will kick in. This is the option i use and then i can manually select hybrid mode when i want to , this is normally when my trip is more than the range of the electric and I'm driving 60-70 mph ( 96-112 km/h) on the motorway.
I know this seems like a faff but you get used to it and make the journey more economical if you return home with no electric left.
There are some circumstances where you cannot switch to EV mode , and the main one is if you have the heater on , and heating more than the outside temperature, as it uses the heat from the water going around the engine , exactly the same as any ICE car to do it.. So with the heater on , the ICE kicks in ( but you can have the heated seats on , and as this uses the 12v battery , this does not start the ICE).
In theory once the engine is hot and delivering the heat , you can manually switch back to EV mode and it will keep blowing hot air until it gets below the required temperature , then the ICE kicks in again to raise the temperature., and you could go around this loop on a long journey lol.
Look at "freezing of fuelling" and to "phev or not to phev" in the hybrid section of the forum as there may be more info there that might answer more question you may have

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom