• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Hs phev door mirrors

phillip parker

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV

Door mirrors issue​

I have a 1 week old HS PHEV and issue with door mirrors that won’t open out when vehicle is unlocked, so far dealer cannot fix and is awaiting guidance from China how to rectify . Any one else with a HS had same issue I wonder ?

That's something. At least you aren't left with non functioning mirrors.

I’m 6 weeks into owning my HS PHEV , apart from initial problem with the door mirrors , I’m very pleased with it , if I take it easy I am getting around 40 miles on a charge , just wondered what are others getting on a charge ?

I’m 6 weeks into owning my HS PHEV , apart from initial problem with the door mirrors , I’m very pleased with it , if I take it easy I am getting around 40 miles on a charge , just wondered what are others getting on a charge ?

You got the mirror fixed yet? Others have commented it’s the door control panel that is at fault and not the wiring loom.

Yes dealer fixed it thanks , and your correct I believe it was the door control panel that was at fault , I was lucky as dealer just happened to have one in stock .

Mine went through a phase of not working. I found that moving them manually back and forth would cure that for a week or so, then they'd do it again. I asumed some dirt was getting into the contact, or it was the remnants of a protective coating from manufacture, or something, and added it to the list of oddball things the HS PHEV does sometimes. It's just ocurred to me it hasn't happened for weeks ....

Yes we have the same problem. With our HS Exclusive. Electrical glitches I reckon. Door mirrors, parking brake not releasing and boot not closing properly. Is it worth taking it back to the dealer? It’s only 3 weeks old.

Thanks. It’s Intermitant at the min and it could be to do with me not setting it up properly. Thank you for the advice though. Much appreciated.

We have experienced the same problem with our HS PHEV Exclusive, we only had the car two weeks and took it to Isle of Wight. We stopped off for something to Eat at Arreton Barns and when we returned the retracting mirrors would not open via the key fob or via the drivers control buttons. We could also not open any of the windows from the control panel. Rang MG assist and the suggested removing the battery for 15 minutes then reconnect, unfortunately as it was a new car and we were on holiday we did not carry tools to do this. They said they would send the AA out but it would be at least two hours. We waited about an hour and suddenly the mirrors opened and we were able to raise and lower the windows. We turned off the mirror retraction button and kept the mirrors in the open position incase it happened next time we stopped. We intend to take it back to the dealer once we return from holiday.

Mine went through a phase of not working. I found that moving them manually back and forth would cure that for a week or so, then they'd do it again. I asumed some dirt was getting into the contact, or it was the remnants of a protective coating from manufacture, or something, and added it to the list of oddball things the HS PHEV does sometimes. It's just ocurred to me it hasn't happened for weeks ....
Update - mine hasn't failed for months now.

That's fate well and truly tempted.

We have experienced the same problem with our HS PHEV Exclusive, we only had the car two weeks and took it to Isle of Wight. We stopped off for something to Eat at Arreton Barns and when we returned the retracting mirrors would not open via the key fob or via the drivers control buttons. We could also not open any of the windows from the control panel. Rang MG assist and the suggested removing the battery for 15 minutes then reconnect, unfortunately as it was a new car and we were on holiday we did not carry tools to do this. They said they would send the AA out but it would be at least two hours. We waited about an hour and suddenly the mirrors opened and we were able to raise and lower the windows. We turned off the mirror retraction button and kept the mirrors in the open position incase it happened next time we stopped. We intend to take it back to the dealer once we return from holiday.

The mirror fails when it’s hot outside. Try to remember when happened to you?
Where i live, like 6pm they just stop working until cooldown with the wind of the road, about 20 minutes or so.

I have had my car for 2 weeks and this is happening almost all the time.
It is now going to the dealer next week for diagnostics, so we'll see what they say.
Folks who had this fixed; do you say that this seems to be a door control panel issue?

I also have an issue where the centre screen just goes black when the cameras should come on, so they are looking at this as well. I see that it was discussed in another tread, but not sure if anyone had that resolved yet.

Since our original posting we still have no update from MG as to when they are going fix this problem. When we last spoke to the local MG sales person he confirmed they had 22 Customers with this mirror problem all on a list waiting for a fix. It should be pointed out all these models are brand new 22 registration. My wife and I feel very let down by the lack of response or urgency in getting this issue rectifed. Further more we have experienced other issues also recently reported in this community forum. These include the parking brake remaining on after the vehicle says it's ready and car is placed in drive. Occasionally the automatic boot will not shut on either key or button commands and once while we were driving the boot automatically opened whilst in motion. When it comes to refueling don't get us started on how long it takes from the time you first press the fuel cap open command till the time the car actually opens the filler cap to allow you to fill up. We get very odd looks when sat at the petrol station just waiting for the refill cap to open. This car is nice to drive but so many niggly problems means it's been in workshop more than on our drive. We would not recommend anyone thinking of buying a 22 reg HS PHEV Exclusive unless of course you like visiting your local MG garage on a regular basis.

What people have done temporarily is prize the control panel from the door and remove the connector cable for 10 seconds and refit. This reset the control panel and everything should work again. 2 minute job.

Last edited:
Since our original posting we still have no update from MG as to when they are going fix this problem. When we last spoke to the local MG sales person he confirmed they had 22 Customers with this mirror problem all on a list waiting for a fix. It should be pointed out all these models are brand new 22 registration. My wife and I feel very let down by the lack of response or urgency in getting this issue rectifed. Further more we have experienced other issues also recently reported in this community forum. These include the parking brake remaining on after the vehicle says it's ready and car is placed in drive. Occasionally the automatic boot will not shut on either key or button commands and once while we were driving the boot automatically opened whilst in motion. When it comes to refueling don't get us started on how long it takes from the time you first press the fuel cap open command till the time the car actually opens the filler cap to allow you to fill up. We get very odd looks when sat at the petrol station just waiting for the refill cap to open. This car is nice to drive but so many niggly problems means it's been in workshop more than on our drive. We would not recommend anyone thinking of buying a 22 reg HS PHEV Exclusive unless of course you like visiting your local MG garage on a regular basis.
A lot of the above tends to be user error and how the car was designed to do. For example the handbrake not releasing even car says it’s ‘Ready’ and in ‘Drive’ mainly caused by driver either not shut the car doors properly or not had seatbelt on. Automatic boot not shutting generally after a prolonged period of time the boot was opened and the electric timed out to preserve battery, the fuel tank is pressurised in the PHEV it needs to depressurised before you can open it hence why the delay etc……

I took mine to the dealer and they confirmed, as a post above mentions, that it is a control panel in the door which has the wrong version installed. Replacing this should sort the issue. They will need to order it in, so I am waiting for this.
The technician said that he has seen this before, so is confident that this is the fault.

Yes we have the same problem. With our HS Exclusive. Electrical glitches I reckon. Door mirrors, parking brake not releasing and boot not closing properly. Is it worth taking it back to the dealer? It’s only 3 weeks old.
Parking brakes not releasing only happens when I am moving the car and can't be bothered with seat belt. It refuses to auto disengage. Have to manually release them each time

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom